My mechanic burned my RV to the ground today

gr8white

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That makes me want to cry just looking at. What was the first thing he said?

I was sitting in my truck eating a pizza in a wal mart parking lot watching the cops arrest a guy for drinking and driving with a baby in the car. My mechanic called me and I told him what was going on in the wal mart parking lot. He said, well we got more than that going on here. Your rv is burning to the ground and the fire dept is on their way.

WOW...to the ground. What remained, reminds me of the skeleton of an old shipwreck somewhere on an ocean beach. That is really sad to see your photos. But, in an odd way, I am glad that you posted them for the rest of us to see. It just so happens that my mechanic is getting ready to weld me up a new rear bumper, spare tire rack and also weld on a couple of rear mud flaps. I will (NOW) be sure to show him your photos, prior to him getting started.

-Riverman77

The mechanic has great insurance. But I had so many expensive things on their like TV, all my tools, Honda EU200i, clothes and all kinds of things. I also had a new spare part for everything under the hood including belts. How much do ya think they will give me for the rv and will they pay for all those things that I mentioned? Im worried as hell right now. I put alot of time, money and effort to make this RV perfect for me. I even had my own gas station on board with the noxxel and seperate fuel pump and everything.

I know my RV insurance covers everything in my vehicle including up to I believe $5,000 in personal belongings, I currently have Geico. Obviously it is the mechanics insurance company that will have to pay you, just make sure to let them know from the start that you intend to be repaid for the value of ALL of your vehicle and the belongings that were inside. If they give any hint of screwing you around I'd consider talking to a lawyer to have him give them a call, that will usually motivate them to settle with you.

If you ever posted anything about the items that were in the Rv on this site or any other Rv site like the generator or any of the tools you can print out your post and have proof that they were in there. So sorry. I would be heartbroken if it was mine.

Linda S

my insurance company (Progressive) said they will do all of the negotiations for me. I have reciepts for just about everything and everything was done within the last 12 months. Its also a good idea to print things off this forum. I have plenty of pics. How much do you think this rv appraises for?

I have never seen an insurance company pay out the customers expected value on their own...all insurance companies business model is to pay the mininum possible.

I would start the process with a lawyer with auto damage experience. Be sure to demand loss of use...motorhomes rent for about $1,000 a week...that might speed

up the process.

Dennis...

OH NO. That sucks.. Start looking around. Sounds like the Mechanic is picking up the tab.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Glad your insurance co. is stepping up to the plate insurance co. don't like to add value to older stuff. Get some prices from the web on 86 Toy Homes. For you guys on the site this is how fast MH's and campers burn please make sure your smoke/CO and propane detectors are working. Hope your back on the road soon with some thing.

I think that your insurance will pay and then subrogate against the welder/insurance company. When I totaled my 92 itasca spirit geico wanted photos or receipts where ever possible. I went online & printed off screen shots for some of the speciality items (juicer, dehydrator).

Geico did us right - took a while (not excessively, and i saw no reason to rush).

Sorry for the loss - glad no one got hurt.

But hey, now you can get a new camper!

BTW, I am curious, where was he welding? (just re-read your post, tool box to bumper? Front bumper maybe? Kind of looks like something more then a fiberglas fire - some sort of fuel, gas maybe propane?

That is horrible... I really feel for you.

Good luck with this...

Andrew.

That's terrible news! But in looking at the photo's I would be asking the guy - what really happened? The first photo's show no fire near the bumper, and flames are originating from the house portion of the vehicle. It isn't until the 3rd picture that the bumper area is involved. Also it appears the vehicle is on the side of the road, not in a work area where someone is welding a box onto a vehicle. Maybe your mechanic isn't telling you the whole story!

That is really really bad news. I'm glad you are ok... thats all the matters, things can be replaced! I see a air hose, so its likely out front of the mechanic's shop by the street. There is literally nothing left.. nothing.... wow. The rear axle might be salvageable but I'm not sure, that fire looked really hot!

Edit: I see what you are looking at - are you looking for more room or do you want to stay with a toy home. I know a guy that has a very nice 21' toyota sunrader for sale.... he is completely going through the engine over the next two weeks and replacing all seals. ;)

If you want to go bigger, just remember the gas and parking can be the biggest negatives. I own a 37' rig and haven't taken it out for 10 months... sad. Again, glad no one was hurt!

yup im looking to move to the florida keys. But for now I want to get a nice big livable Rv that I can travel and work in. ALl my gas and travel will be a tax writeoff as long as I get business cards along the way from banks. Im excited. This may have been a good thing....

Well we all wish you well even if you do opt for a larger RV ;)

Thank you Ya Baby! I wonder how much they will give me for my toyota. I hope they dont try to give me like 5k cause i restored this thing with hard wood floors and everything. I had so many things that were expensive in this when it burned down. I also had 3 very sentimental things from my family.

Some guesstimates' If mpg means anything.

1. Another Toy 13-16mpg

2. A 24ft Class C with a 6L chevy 10-13 mpg

3. A 26 Ft Class A with a 7.4L Chevy 9-11mpg (Ihave this combo)

4. Any thing 30ft + with a chevy 7-9

5. Anything with a Ford V-10 6-8mpg

Those pics are so hard to look at. It looked like it was in beautiful shape. I hope you find something you will be very happy with.

If you go bigger, it will be harder to fit in a parking lot.... This is what we chose to do. I get 10 mpg towing 6k lbs. Comfortable with toad to fetch groceries and run errands/sight see.

post-499-0-96957300-1369751528_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-45938600-1369751639_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-31813500-1369751647_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-11814000-1369751649_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-96347300-1369751650_thumb.jpg

My preference would be fuel injected engines with OBDII if possible for fuel injection and easy monitoring.

The Jayco looks nice but overpriced. See if they will give a quote on the roof and bargain.

Sorry to hear about your fire

its not fun watching your stuff burn

I watched Mom and Dads house burn 20 min

before fire dept got their....

Hope you get the rv that is right for you

good luck!!!!

Check into a Safari brand mated up to the 7.3 powerstroke ford Diesel. This was what I was going to get prior to getting my Toy. Less explosive.

Will pull house off of foundation and tow anything; and get near 18-19 MPG doing it if in proper shape.

Also you should change your avatar picture to the one with the toy flames. :)

Keep us posted on how progressive treats you!

I got a call from his insurance company yesterday and they are not going to cover this because RV's are excluded from his policy. That just flat out sucks! He said he has fire insurance but isnt sure that it will cover it. Again, sucks sucks sucks, sucks sucks!

to quote Dale Gribble from King of the Hill

“Buying lottery tickets is like buying insurance; a sucker's game!”

Just wait till you need an Affordable Care Act claim paid out in the near future... then the real fun starts.

Its a clear case of bailment; he pays full value.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-can-i-do-if-a-mechanic-damages-my-car-while-f-445737.html

TIME TO GO SEE A lawYer RIGHT NOW HIS POLICY DOESNT COVER R V HIS PROBLEM ITS CALLED liablity HIS. if HE PAYS HIMSELF HE WILL LEARN NOT TO BE UNDER INSHURED. MOST AWAYS A LAWYER WILL NOT CHARGE FOR THE FIRST VISIT . MY MOTHER WORKED FOR MANY.DID YOU HAVE COMP INS IF YOU DID YOUR OWN COMPANY WOULD COVER IT.

do you have COMP ins on the vec? that covers you aginst loss by fire then your ins would cover it and probly sue him to recover thier cost.

to quote Dale Gribble from King of the Hill

“Buying lottery tickets is like buying insurance; a sucker's game!”

Just wait till you need an Affordable Care Act claim paid out in the near future... then the real fun starts.

Its a clear case of bailment; he pays full value.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-can-i-do-if-a-mechanic-damages-my-car-while-f-445737.html

This is great info! Thanks so much Totem!