Best Choice for up to 10k

bullmoose

Best choise ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Best choice of an RV ?

• SunRader of course why would you buy anything else?
    • Escaper
    • Sea Breeze
    • Sunland Express
    • Other ?

Hi there, new to the world of RV's but been pondering a change in lifestyle for some time now, and have finally begun to seriously research and give it a shot.

Limited knowledge of the market place, but initial research and knowledge of the Toyota track record of reliability leads me to think Toyota might be a good option for an RV. Need to sell my 2008 Dodge Nitro SUV, then will have about 10k to work with for an RV purchase. Plan is to live full time, year round, in this thing......at least for a year......maybe more if I like the lifestyle. Single dude......from Boston area, VERY BASIC needs. Plan to drive it occasionally to/from Boston area, to/from Vegas, and California.......where I will spend some extended stays w/free parking.......but also take advantage of the freedom and do some travel up to Alaska, the Dakotas, Colorado......where ever. So my question is........what are some of the options I should be looking at for my budget. (p.s........I am honestly not very mechanically inclined.....so reliability in the engine is key, as I will be paying someone for just about any fix). From what I have read.......two main issues.....fuel economy, and head room for full time living (six feet tall). From my initial research some of these have peeked my interest. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sunrader

Escaper

SeaBreeze

Sunland Express

Others ????

Sunrader

Escaper

SeaBreeze

Sunland Express

Others ????

There is probably no "best" - the best is the one that fits your needs best and is in the best condition at the best price. Condition and price tend be proportional, unfortunately. I wanted a newer 6-cylinder and really like my 1992 Winnebago Warrior 321RL. People swear by their Sunraders, SeaBreezes, Escapers, Dolphins, and so on - there were nearly 30 manufacturers of Toyota RVs at one time or another. You want a truck in good shape and a coach in good shape or that you can repair. $10k will get you a lot of choices if you are patient - $15k or thereabouts is about the top end for these rigs. Prices are lowest in the winter - will start to rise about now and peak in late summer.

Good luck!

My advice would be to keep your options open. They are all very similar. Dolphin and Winnebago brands look to be abundant on Craigslist. SunRader’s have the Fiberglass shell, Sunland Express I think have aluminum framing. When I was looking I looked at all of them in my price range. I was looking for a Winnebago the most though, but a Dolphin popped up that was better than I was expecting and was cheaper than my budget too. I have no regrets. One more thing to add… These units will be at least 17 years old now, everyone will need some servicing. All the little things will add up fast if you take it in for all the service.

As for the engine choices, It looks like you will be doing a lot of driving, Boston to Vegas, possibly Alaska… I would 100% choose a V6 engine (1989 to 1994 model years) With this you also get a stronger transmission and the true 1 ton chasse (Full floating rear axle and same rims front and back)

Good luck with the search! :ThumbUp:

Andrew.

The Sunrader is a good little rig. It is relatively small and relatively narrow, which makes it great for parking just about anywhere but makes for close quarters when you get caught camping on a rainy day. The fiberglass shell is awesome, because you are never going to face structural rot. On the flip side, the front windows are a design flaw. They leak as a feature :blink:. I am right at 6 feet, and the ceiling is close. The air conditioner requires a little duck to clear it. I sleep fine in the overhead bunk.

Ours is 21' and has the V6, which makes 130 horsepower feel like 90. But it runs like a top with 110k+ on the odo (knock wood) and the transmission is still flawless (knock wood again). It'll blaze down a flat road at 75 no problem at 10mpg, and push to 14mpg if i take it down to 60. Any long hills are in the slow lane at 45.

For a single guy on the road, especially some of the more adventurous treks, you might be really happy with the 18 foot Sunrader and the 22RE. That powerplant is bulletproof and there were so many of them you could be just about anywhere in the world, not to mention the US, and find parts or a full replacement.

-andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I will second flatspin's recommendation. The sunrader is about as maintenance free as an RV exterior gets. It is a bit cozy on the inside. Being 6 ft, you will have to slouch a bit. As for drivetrains, the best IMO is the 22R/RE with manual tranny. The 22R motors are legendary for their bulletproofness. Unfortunately, the auto tranny that comes with them is susceptible to over heating, although this is not a problem if the proper precautions are taken.

The V-6 with auto is a good engine as well, but, they are susceptible to burned exhaust valves. They also givev up a mile or two per gallon, which may be substantial considering all the driving you'd like to do.

I would look for a rear bath model as it has a larger bath with seperate shower which is kinda nice for a full timer.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

an 18 foot sunrader with the 22re 5 speed.

Is perfect.

thats what I want. How many of those are on the market? Ive never seen one.

also my new motorhome has that rear bath that someone desires and I hate that.

I like rear bed 1000% better. The bed by a huge rear window, nothing like that.

A bigger bathroom is the worst for me Im never ever going to use that bathroom. I take showers at 24 hour fitness or other gyms on the road, and i am not traveling with poop.

most toyota truck people would take a 22re over a vg any day of the week.

In this particular case where every hp counts maybe not. Id rather have a 22re and somehow tune it for the extra 15 hp.

Not trying to get into an engine argument but the v6 3.0 liter is pitifully underpowered for what it is. for using that much gas its really bad. not really comparable to anything even american v6s

well seabreaze is the same as dolphin. For the higher end ones hes looking at they didnt make the dolphins anymore, but its the same maker, national rv.

So he has that represented.

seriously though

all things being equal.....

a single peice fiberglass body on an rv is worth 1000 to me. depending on the budget, i guess for you 2000.

Not the fiberglass siding, those still leak but are also an upgrade.

so how can you pick anything but sunrader? if you have a choice of two and the sunrader is 1000 more or less get it.

thats the hardest thing to upgrade and fix honestly.

Sunraders just don't have the headroom, standing up or in the bunk. Maybe its just me. Thanx, but I'll keep my (inferior?) Dolphin. B)

ya well me too Ill enjoy the extra space. Its cool, Im 6 3. But id trade in an instant and throw in 1000$

the vast majority is the same. so whats most important is how it runs.

the vehicle part of mine is really excellent because it has cab air, od trans, ride rite bags, 1 ton real dually 22re, etc...... thats why i bought it thats the important stuff.

but the mh part is lower end witht the corrugated aluminum siding and the wood frame.

easier to fix though.

the only differences really are in the mh shell. Theres 3 main types, theres 1 peice fiberglass, fiberglass siding, and aluminum siding.

1 peice fiberglass all day.

In a sunrader you will always have a dry head but may get a lump or two. In dolphin you may just get a wet head. its a matter of time. Its easier to duck the ceiling than to duck a leak and anyone that says any type of Toyota motor home is anything but close quarters on a rainy day may just be a little person. :bleh:

One of the reasons that its tough to spend rainy days in a Toyhome is because most of them are dark caves. I guess the various manufacturers thought that wood-colored interiors were a sign of wealth or royalty or woodsy Spanish villas but in reality, small spaces need much lighter colors than big spaces. A lighter decor is also more cheerful and calming and your eyes have a better chance to rest when the walls aren't cluttered with figured wood or complicated moldings. Everything looks much bigger, too.

When I painted the interior of my '85 Dolphin, I wasn't sure about the color and trim but as I progressed around the interior, from side to rear and to the other side, the whole place began to take on this calming effect with loads of light coming in the big windows and reflecting off the walls and ceiling. Getting rid of the "wrought iron" upper cabinet supports and changing out the hinges and knobs finished the effect. I had an RV dealer in town take a look at the finished job and he couldn't believe that the rig was only 20 feet long.

These are the pictures of the finished interior makeover including a bigger mirror on the closet door and a stainless panel on the refrigerator.

John

post-2678-0-46247400-1342236310_thumb.jppost-2678-0-72700000-1342236229_thumb.jppost-2678-0-52971400-1342236364_thumb.jppost-2678-0-31738100-1342236457_thumb.jppost-2678-0-43687700-1342236523_thumb.jppost-2678-0-23251200-1342236581_thumb.jp

Thanx for the pics. Your Toyhome looks very nice & bright. :)

I think that eliminating the roof AC really helped open up the interior in mine. Another skylight/vent, along with lighter, brighter colors, made all the difference. B)

Tudy

84 Dolphin 300

Thought I'd jump in here. I have a 1978 "Galavan" mfg. by Champion. It's only 18 feet long. It has no bathroom. I've deleted the fresh water tank, stove and refig. The over cab bunk was also removed to make more storage space. The bed is a futon style twin size. Becomes a couch during the day.

I plan to drive/live in my toy for awhile. Never had a real vacation, and at 56 it's time.

It does have a 7000 btu A/C, gas furnace, and Onan 2.8 microlite generator. It comes with the 20R engine and 4 speed transmission. I'm currently averaging 22 mpg.

For bathroom/shower I've taken out a Planet Fitness black membership. For $20.00 a month you can use any gym in the country. These places are all over.

Sorry for the ramble. As other members have stated, take you time and look really close at the mechanical and structural condition of the mh. I've invested about $3500.00 into mine so far. This includes all new tires, clutch, brakes, and misc. mechanical items. I estimate it will take another $1500.00 of interior work to complete it. (doing all the work myself).

Frames are also important to check. Many of the homes used in New England have had years of salt and winter driving. The metal on the toyota frames is very lite gage, and can rust through very easily. My home is all fiberglass with steel ribs. This is the way to go. Good luck. fred

Toyota is Toyota is Toyota really; meaning drive trains and chassis are for the most part all the same, depending on each year of course. Some have R20, R22, or V6, whatever. The drive train has always been, though not the most powerful, the best and most reliable part of any manufacturer of a “TOYhome.” The difference comes in the motor home portion of each. In this area, I have to say, to each their own in what suits them best. Nowadays, the best factor of finding one is condition, condition, condition. Anyone finding these old and used motor homes in great condition is the lucky one, and then when we do, and when done completing our projects, well, we all understand, ours is always the best!

well I sound like a spokes person

but for 15 a month prepaid you can use all the 24 hour fitness sports in the country. They are largely a texas and west chain.

That just blows away planet fitness by about 300 more locations and its cheaper also. the gyms themselves are usually way better but they have all sorts of levels some are worthless some have jacuzzis and basketball courts

google costco 24 hour fitness.

I actually pay 45$ a month just to use their super sport and above clubs because they are so nice its like a resort often. but the costco membership should have over 300 clubs just not the newest nice ones.

If I travel to a place where there isn't a 24 hour fitness I check either golds gym or la fitness, both of them have free passes, and neither of them check to hard to verify your identity so you can use 2 weeks here and then 2 weeks somewhere else.

If there's a better deal for showers than 15 a month I don't know about it. and its open 24 hours, that's huge for me.

What I used to do a million years ago is join the ymca in venice for 15 a month and use their away program. There are a lot more 24 hour fitnesses than ymcas, but ymcas are more universally distributed, meaning there's usually one in any area.

my ex gf has an 18 foot Sunrader by coincidence.

Got it around the time I got my new Dolphin. The difference in height is maybe 6 inches. That's a considerable amount for 6 foot and above people but no biggie, esp because i don't sleep in the overcab thing

but the width is whats really different, maybe 2 feet. they have the 18 foot model and the inside is literally packed. the hallway is a sideways type of thing. It has everything mine has, in fact it has a bigger bathroom. very jam packed, uses the top areas more too, like the cabinets are above the sink etc.

So anyhow just want to say the size difference is a lot more than i thought. They have a 80 18 foot Sunrader 20r 4 speed.

All things considered.... I would trade. But I do like mine for the space and its more modern engine.

• 1 month later...

In an old post, I said look at something with a rear bath as it is nice to have a separate shower.

Please disregard this.

Last month I borrowed a 21 ft rear dinette Sunrader. It has the all in one 'wet bath" directly behind the driver and I think it is 1000% better than the larger rear bath with separate shower. This is because the entire bath is the shower making it at least twice the size of the tiny separate shower. My old rear bed Sunrader had a similar setup, but, it was not a single piece of molded fiberglass as this west coast made SR was. Also, I believe the California built SRs have a little bit better head room.

for me our 1987 dolphon has what we want full one ton six lug front and rear and the large rear bathroom i prefer the four and power stering is nice for those of us who are over the hill. hope you find what works for you

I prefer the rear bedroom odyssey americana now because it has a huge rear window and two large rear side windows for a real sleeping in wilderness experience. It also has an extended roof

The regular oddyssey with the rear bedroom/dinette is good too, I haven't seen it all together but a 22re oddyssey with rear dinette is a good mix.

The americanas only drawback is I think its only v6. But its huge so v6 might be best. One peice roof