Why do you love your Toyhome?

runfromturtles

I love mine because I’ve made it my own. Nothing really is more versatile to customize, nor easy to drive anywhere one wants to squeeze into than a Toyhome. There really isn’t a better motor by comparison, meaning that sure if one gets a V8 they are going to have more power, but real crappy mileage, and can’t say they are anymore more reliable. I would guess that most of the units out there still have the original motors in them, and after the many miles pulling 3 times the weight they were designed to, they are a fantastic motor.

The Micro-Mini Toyota's gas mileage is actually quite impressive, well, as impressive as can be when speaking of a motorhome. The Vixen is one of the mass produced products that on average got better mileage than a Toyhome with excellent performance, but they are more confined and you are gonna spent 2 to 3 times your bankroll if you want one of those. I think the Winnebago LeSharo’s did get better mileage, but it’s Renault drive train was a reliability disaster, and did not have the performance power nor the total usable space that a Toyhome has. There might be some other obscure models or homemade RV's out there that might bring equal milage, but any Motorhome out there carrying all we do that still gets over 12 MPG on the low end, and averages about 14 miles per gallon doesn’t exist really in anything else, does it? I mean, what do you feel is great mileage for a MOTORHOME?

I'd say cold feet is normal for any large committed purchase one makes, and it's good you are thinking hard before you make your decision. If you are concerned, check out other options, one can get a regular sized Class C in the same age catagory for what you want to spend on a Toyhome, but they will have the same concerns as one has buying anything of this nature, condition, mileage, working systems, and drive train.

I have had 3 motorhomes, one was a Class C 24 foot Midas with GMC drive train, an old noname 20 foot single axle Chevy cab/chassis motorhome, and my Toyhome. I like my Dolphin the best, as it is easy and great to drive, doubles the gas mileage of those others for getting about the same space with a bit less head room. If I were to get something else later, which I doubt, I would get a later model, fully equipped Class A to live in permanently for my retirement, but can’t see that happening at this time, and will no doubt keep my Dolphin till I can pass it on to someone else.

One has to accept the limitations of a Toyhome, meaning if you want to race down the road, or want to pull a big boat, or plan to load it up with a bunch of toys and more than one needs, then I'd say wait and get something larger for those needs. But, if you want to tool down the road at a decent pace, and don’t get frustrated when you drop down to 50 on steep hills, and want the easiest driving motorhome out there with a reliability rating that really can't be matched, then I would say the Toyhome can’t be beat, and why I love mine so much!

I think she is perfect and beautiful...

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=slideshow&album=365

I drive an 18ft Sunrader. I get 15 to 19 mpg. Almost as much as my daily driver. I can get into the smallest of campgrounds and manage some off road tracks even though I don't have 4wd. I go to remote mountan lakes, enjoy the comfort of a nice bed and my mocha espresso in the morning. Go to the bathroom with a flush toilet and no middle of the nght trips to a hole in the ground. Carry an inflatable boat on the back to fish with. I love it so much my grown children say I love it more than them. Might be right

Linda S

My wife and I are new to the RV lifestyle. Last year we made an impulse buy and bought a fixer-upper that turned into more work than we expected. I spent lots of hours but for what I ended up with, not really tons of money except for the new fridge. So for me it is what I have personally invested in time and effort. Like David, I made it my own and that is one of the things about an old motor home that you don't seem to mind making all sorts of modifications to.

I gutted the interior of mine and got creative with the tech. In addition to making everything work, I updated just about everything including adding a Visio TV, stereo system with MP3 dock and mobile broadband with a Cradlepoint router that all runs on the RV battery.

While we had the time of our lives this summer (only home 3 weekends since mid May) the wife has declared that the old girl is just too small for her and she would like something just slightly larger. The issue is as we are getting older, she wants a rear bedroom style RV. The over cab bed while comfortable is a bit of a pain to get in and out of.

What I love most about mine is that it was the catylist for getting out on the road. We were not sure how we would feel about the lifestyle but have really caught the bug. I may end up in something larger next year but it is the Toy-motorhome that got me into this.

" This is a stickup, your Toy or your first born, an be quick about it." To miss quote Jack Benny

I love it so much my grown children say I love it more than them. Might be right

Linda S

People who run from turtles are very likely people who have a hard time making decisions.

But here is the deal, if you buy one and don't like it you won't have a hard time selling it unless you paid way too much for it.

I am borderline mental handicapped when it comes to decisions. I dont know what my problem is.

Ya to add on to davidro, the only thing out there with similar mileage and price, might be cheaper at this point is the winnebego lesharo.

It can get 20 mpg. Its also a 2.4 liter sohc engine. I honestly think it just has better wind resistance and higher freeway gears or it would be exactly the same.

Those things stop running from crazy electrical crap. Be prepared to be a really serious do it your selfer.

Because its fwd its a candidate for engine swaps from minivans like a caravan.

If putting in parts from a dodge caravan sounds like a dream to you, you know you've got a lemon.

But they are cool and I would consider the right one. Harder to sell but still a safe investment. Very expensive parts don't fool yourself on that.

I love my toyota rv because its an 85 and its going to make it 10 to 20 years. There's nothing out there that's going to do that. Its based on the most common vehicle on earth with the cheapest parts.

The second you get an american class a or c you just hemorage money. Things break you didn't know could break like starters die. All of them leak oil

Ohv design takes like 2 bucks just to start it .

So it costs too much to even move eventually it starts a cycle of not being used then you're paying to store it somewhere.

And you crash into other cars at walmart. You can't use it to drive to the mall.

I am borderline mental handicapped when it comes to decisions. I dont know what my problem is.

You know, if I were not completely sure of making a decision about such a major investment, I would surely wait until I was. Expectation is ones biggest foe when getting something they are unsure of, and brings an unfair judgment afterward to the item due to the assumption it will meet all their expectations without verification first.

As stated many times, in many posts, value of a Toyhome is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to its purchase and what one is willing to pay to get it. Unless you are purchasing something to bring a definitive return on your money, buying one in such a subjective marketplace is made through the desire and commitment to the purchasing of one because a person is sure it’s truly what they want.

Buyer’s remorse will no doubt come later due to the Toyhome not being able to meet all the things it just was not designed to perform, and unless one is positive of those conditions, I would either wait until they have been confirmed through investigation and understanding, or I would buy something that will.

Don't beat yourself up my friend, and no need to be self-deprecating. Just take your time in your search and decision, as there are many Toyhomes out there. If you truly want to make the decision into a Toyhome, be selective and realistic, use the information of the experienced, and make the right decision for you. I wish you the best of luck in your journey!

Ditto what other have said;

Size - I can put this thing just about anywhere you put a full size sedan. If I'm in a busy parking lot, I find a place in the very back where I can back into, Look high and low when backing to make sure you don't hit anything sticking up out of the ground. (always try to back in, never back out)

The best memory I have is the Toyhouse plugged into shore power at the Arctic Caribou Inn in Prudhoe Bay Alaska. We bought our Toyhouse specifically to make this trip. If it wasn't for the gas mileage we got on the Toyhouse, we couldn't have afforded to do this. When we talked to other RVers along the road, they would say something like "You went all the way up to Prudhoe Bay, IN THAT?" When they looked inside, they'd say; "This is kind of cute, What kind of gas mileage do you get?" (normally we got twice the miliage of every RVer we ran into)

Alaska Trip Blog

Good gas mileage -14 - 15 while cruising (or crawling) at 55-60.

Good reliability

The house has everything we need, water, toilet, stove, frig, heater, A/C. beds, TV, radio, DVD player, Internet.

Customizable to your needs, If you don't like the Wonderful floral wallpaper, slap some paint on it. hang some pictures, put some neat doily things on everything

Cost, Unless you make an uninformed decision and try and sell to an informed buyer, I can guarantee you'll probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it. We paid 5k for ours, I bet I can get 7, 8, maybe even 10k for it today with all the fixing up and upgrades we did. AND we put over 20k miles on it and had many memorable trips with it.

Define your mission, what will you most likely use it for, What are the limitations, Could a trailer or a larger class C or A better fit your needs.

One disadvantage I've found, I have no transportation when I get somewhere . Now this isn't a big problem, partially mitigated by we carry a couple bicycles, and if we really want to go somewhere, we go.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

RunfromTurtles;

You must be an informed buyer. The biggies are:

1) full floating rear axle (beware of the fake dullys),

2)Tire age,

3) water damage,

4) appliances working.

and of course the usual truck stuff, motor tranny, etc.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

My beautiful wife and I just got back from our first "long" distance trip. It was only 2000 miles over 10 days. We found that by staying organized, putting everything away right away, being realistic about how far we would travel in a day and just taking the time to enjoy ourselves, the Toyota was perfect for the two of us.

We got 14 mpg average for the trip which included 40 mph headwinds for 400 miles, traveling extensively throughout the Black hills, and some very dusty gravel roads.

We found that we went places that larger motor homes would not or could not go. We camped on BLM and Forest Service property that larger unit could not get into.

We had no "truck" related problems, just some minor stuff that came up. I wanted to keep going out to Yellowstone and Glacier but we did not want to impose on our neighbor that was pet sitting for us that much. I am recently retired and would love to just keep going. The next trip will be much longer.

The Toyota delivered everything that I expected and so much more. When you get accustomed to the sound of the 4 cylinder turning over at 4000 rpm's on the very steep grades, you get the feeling that the Toyhouse can go anywhere. I find that I go camping at the drop of a hat now because it takes me about 20 minutes to pack and hit the road.

I'm not personally sure a toyhome can make it up steep climbs like tioga or the south entrance to sequoia.

I think mine would overheat

I've never been up Tioga in my Toyhome, one of, if not the highest pass in California I believe. I have however driven its beautiful routes through Yosemite in a car. Another awesome drive as well was the drive through the Sequoia area, but again, only in a car, and how awesome they both were.

Though few passes are in combination as lengthy or steep graded as Tioga and yes, I would think twice taking a Toyhome up those mentioned passes. I have had my Dolly through some challenging areas though.

I have been up Donner Pass coming back from Sacramento on 80, as well as both ways on Highway 50 up the Sierras in and out of California, and up the 22 miles of Parley's Grade from Salt Lake to Echo in Utah and never once came close to overheating. Didn't go real fast, and was not pleasant up and down shifting while chugging up the mountains, but I was amazed how Little Dolly never missed a beat.

RunfromTurtles;

You must be an informed buyer. The biggies are:

1) full floating rear axle (beware of the fake dullys),

2)Tire age,

3) water damage,

4) appliances working.

and of course the usual truck stuff, motor tranny, etc.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yes I have been looking for these things, however, I was not aware of the fake dually. I figured if it had a protruding axle and 6 lugs that it was the 1 ton floating axle. How do you spot the fake one?

The "fake" one is a regular 5 lug rim bolted together with another modified rim onto it around the inner parimeter. You wont find a "Fake Dual" with a protruding middle hub.

Heres a quick diagram

post-5603-0-67390400-1348461742_thumb.jp

Incorrect

post-5603-0-68170000-1348463696_thumb.jp

Correct

post-5603-0-07110600-1348463715_thumb.jp

There's two entrances to sequoia. Did you go through kings canyone or through visalia? That visalia entrance is heavy duty.

Nobody in there right mind takes a motorhome or trailer up or especially down that way

Every year people do there's a huge log jam its just no one in their right mind does. You should gone to fresno and enter through kings canyon, lincoln grove. Highway of the kings etc. A slow long way up.

There's two entrances to sequoia. Did you go through kings canyone or through visalia? That visalia entrance is heavy duty.

For Yosimite areas, I drove pretty much the entire area in big red circle, starting from red dot on 395.

post-5603-0-48514300-1348464613_thumb.jp

For Sequoia area, I started from the red and black dot following the bold red line north.

post-5603-0-53541800-1348464526_thumb.jp

Tioga, Grapevine, I-80 east of Salt Lake City, or I-70 west of Denver. all no problem. Climb the hill in 2nd (about 35mph) or in 1st (about 20mph). This isn't a problem as you'll be in line with trucks that are doing the same thing.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I am a Toyota nut, so when it was time for the family to enjoy a RV, there was no question, it had to be a Toyota.

We love our toy home. it has not failed us since we bought it 2006. It is not new, and we are keeping up on the maintenance, i think that is the key to keep on enjoying it forever :)

Tioga, Grapevine, I-80 east of Salt Lake City, or I-70 west of Denver. all no problem. Climb the hill in 2nd (about 35mph) or in 1st (about 20mph). This isn't a problem as you'll be in line with trucks that are doing the same thing.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yes Waiter, the mentioned 1-70 outside Denver is Eisenhower and a nasty grade both sides of the tunnel, and your mentioned Grapevine on I-5 is a long grade, but nowhere near what it used to be before it was tied into the interstate system and widened and grade reduced, showing my age now, hee hee. Take care while on Snoqualmie Pass to Seattle, not to mention Stevens pass in the Cascades as well. Stevens may not be as steep of a grade, but it’s switchbacks along with the grade is also one to be concerned about.

While not a lengthy grade, Cajon Pass out of San Bernardino will really slow ya down, but it’s wide and roomy like I-80 Parley’s in Utah and has a long slow truck lane its length to help. We drive where it will take us, and if one takes it easy, and does not try to rush or tax the motor, I think we could go anywhere the road is laid before us.

I still think I would be hesitant to attempt Tioga unless I knew it would be a good weather situation, and not do it on the busy weekends or holidays.

wow you made it through Grapevine 5north/south

I want to take my toyhome to Yosemite (have gone the last 13 years to Yosemite from San Diego) Never in my 1987 Mini Cruiser...YET...

was not sure "Dagodah"would make it up the Grapevine I ques i will have to trust the Force and go for it

I love my Toyhome for who she is a Strong woman with Great character & here motor never stops.....

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

came north over the grapevine, going up wasn't t hat big a deal, didn't heat up at all, but it has never heated up under any conditions including 105 weather with the air on, it's the coming down that worried me. i just stuck it in second, (auto, V6) and got in behind some trucks and came down at about 40 using the brakes very little.

I bought our toy after my 3 year old (at the time) daughter's obsession with Disney "Little Einsteins" cartoon; a cartoon in which the cast of characters always jump into a small vehicle named "rocket" and go cavorting all over the world on adventures and rescue missions many times to places in the USA like the grand canyon etc. Rocket closely resembles an RV to a small child...

One day we were in a parking lot of a restaurant with my kids and they saw a Toy Home drive by. My daughter screamed "rocket Rocket!!" After that I was looking at various RVs and my daughter would get so excited but my wife would always get a pained look like "uh you expect me to sleep in THAT???? you are going to pay money for THAT????".... over a year of searching for a great looking Sunrader later, I finally found one nearby. It had the death axle (fake dually that I like calling the death axle because it annoys Derek) but was remarkably mint condition for being a 86. I decided to take the plunge with full faith in my skills, connections and patience. As David and many others mentioned the platform was great and easy to customize and I was able to get it where we liked in in a year. but back to the Disney cartoon...

What was particularly funny about the cartoon is that "Rocket" is always suffering from a lack of power to go fast enough.. hence the kids are asked to pat their laps and sing for "more Power" this in turns sets the ship into Super-Fast mode where it finally takes off. Man, I tell you with God as my witness no one can ever take away from me the memories of my girls chanting for "more power" in the Appalachian mountains en route to Maine and then thier screams of intoxicated joy as the toy would scream down the hills it had so struggled to get up.

Each summers trips they STILL to this day chant for more power; most notably at Yellowstone this year as rocket REALLY needed some power on some of those passes.

I did the rig some proper sailors justice this spring having had a online decal company custom cut some matching burnt orange reflector decals with the moniker "Rocket" for the front and rear in honor of my daughters favorite cartoon. I will never worry about what I have spent on the rig because I know how to use it. One MUST always look deeper into travel than a default Google maps, Map Quest or even a GPS. You are in a toy home; you will be doing 65 tops; therefor it does NOT always benefit you to take turnpikes or the highway necessarily. Shortest Distance is more the ticket and you can often make much better time because you wouldnt have gone that fast the other way anyway and certainly not 70-80 MPH unless downhill or wind behind your back... saves money in tolls too; And to this day my wife has told me multiple times that we are NEVER to sell the rig, that she feels it has a "soul" of sorts and that she has never felt so attached to a vehicle in her life. Makes it easy for me to go spend time working on it too; she never stops me from working on this toy.

I'm not personally sure a toyhome can make it up steep climbs like tioga or the south entrance to sequoia.

I think mine would overheat

I do have the smaller Sunrader but I have done Tioga pass several times. Have only found one grade my rig had a problem with but that was in the high sierra's and not a normal drive for most. It does go slow, but it goes

Linda S

Biggest thing for me is all that headroom in the over-cab bed. Ford-Chevy-Dodge of the same age give you just enough room to roll over.

Biggest thing for me is all that headroom in the over-cab bed. Ford-Chevy-Dodge of the same age give you just enough room to roll over.

Spot on Bob! I found this out on my latest outing. My 87 Conquest was parked next to an 88 Chevy Conquest. Pretty much the same identical set-up.

The biggest difference is the headroom in the overhead cab like you mention. Not only is the Toy more rommier and taller, you don't need a ladder to get up there. Check out the pic...Proof is in the pudding. ;-)

Cheers!

post-6384-0-75803000-1348777107_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

We love to go out into the forest service or BLM lands and just find an interesting spot to park for a few days. The 84 18' Sunrader is perfect for this! As a base camp for my photography/hiking, it's small enough to get into these spots, big enough to have everything my wife and I need.

But, the thing that we actually love most about it? We live 60 miles from a town with any kind of decent shopping and more like 100 from good shopping and doctors. It's perfect for these trips, parks anywhere, there's never a problem finding a bathroom when ya gotta go, and it's much more comfortable than a waiting room. Having a fridge on long shopping trips is really nice too!

On long trips, from the coast, across the Cascades and around E. Oregon, we get around 17.5 mpg. We almost never drive on freeways, at most, short hops where there's no alternative. Then we go 55-60, otherwise it's back roads and, depending on traffic, we go pretty slow, looking for good photos and speed don't work well together!

We do take 2 mountain bikes for local transportation. Also, a bike can pull off almost anywhere, so on narrow but picturesque roads, often the Sunrader can get within a mile or two of a great photo, then the bike gets me back to the perfect spot.

Over the years, we've owned a lot of vehicles, several travel trailers, including a tiny fiberglass 13 footer. In 44 years of driving, the Sunrader is my favorite vehicle I've owned! It drives really nicely. About the only thing I really have to get around to is replacing the stock seats, which we have made custom cushions for, so our legs don't die from the bad angle they sit at.

Steve

IF YOU DONT THINK THE GAS MILAGE IS ALL THAT BIG DEAL TALK TO SOME OF THE BIG RIGS GUY NEXT TO MY DOLPHON BIG BIG CLASS A ASKED HIM HIS MILEGE SAID FIRST TIME HE USED IT IN TWO YEARS BECAUSE IT GETS 5 FIVE MILES TO A GALLON OF GAS> AT KOA PASCO WA 2012

IF YOU DONT THINK THE GAS MILAGE IS ALL THAT BIG DEAL TALK TO SOME OF THE BIG RIGS GUY NEXT TO MY DOLPHON BIG BIG CLASS A ASKED HIM HIS MILEGE SAID FIRST TIME HE USED IT IN TWO YEARS BECAUSE IT GETS 5 FIVE MILES TO A GALLON OF GAS> AT KOA PASCO WA 2012

:first:

• 2 weeks later...

If one thinks about it, there are many creative uses for the toy homes, plus reliability and MPG combined with low cost of ownership; it's hard to beat the little Toy home. What I used mine for:

-2nd office when thing get crowded in the house

-Short trip to Homedepot for long stuff

-Moving my sister-in-law to college

-Trips to the beach fishing in any weather and my wife and kid can come along

-Emergency prepareness or home power supplement when there is an outage

-2nd commute vehicle when the primary one is out on loan or at the shop

-Spare bedroom when there are guests

-Mobile office at a job site with electric power available

-Heck...I even use the light by the door to light up our walkway on Halloween nights or just any night

-A place for me to spend extra time...improving it

-Insurance isn't very much either