Soft line between propane outlet and regulator?

Odyssey 4x4

For the life of me I cannot remember how the original propane tank and regulator layout was done on my Odyssey. I have my propane tank refurbished and a new regulator, but as you can see, there is no room to connect my propane line to the regulator in my propane compartment. Is it safe to add a soft line between the propane tank and the regulator so that I can mount the regulator in a different location where it will fit? 

IMG_3214.jpeg.c56851783ee620fd9ceea9781d39502b.jpeg

maybe that at one time had an old single stage regulator  . those can not be installed. now they do not meet safety standreds. but they where much smaller . my old 78 had one the local rv shop told me i  needed to get rid of it what he has is the same as i have had .

This is the regulator  you want. It’s compact in size and should fit your tank compartment. I’m using this exact setup now. It can be bought on Amazon or even Lowe’s for about $40.

https://www.charbroil.com/universal-dual-stage-propane-regulator-9059398?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv93h2pzjgAMVq0p_AB3eaw5PEAQYAiABEgIbr_D_BwE

Edited by fred heath

20 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

Is it safe to add a soft line between the propane tank and the regulator so that I can mount the regulator in a different location

The soft hoses are rated at either high pressure or low pressure based on what I've seen at Propane Warehouse.  It's possible some metal flex line is rated for high pressure. Just make sure the hose you get is rated for full ~350 psi if you go that route.  This would allow you to mount the regulator somewhere else like outside that compartment.  It would make it easier to move that tank with just a flex line to the POL fitting.  You could even get a hand tightening POL (with the o-ring instead of hard copper end) and you wouldn't even need tools to get the hose off the tank when it's refill time. I'm assuming you have to remove the tank from the vehicle to refill.  

The tank is a permanent install tank so I'd need a permanent install solution. The regulator I have in the first post is JR Products 07-30375 and measures in at 8" inches. I just picked up the Charbroil regulator mentioned in this post and while it is shorter at 7.25", it's still too tight to work in the current configuration. If I were to either tighten or loosen the main valve a bit, I may be able to sneak the attachment line on in the current configuration. Otherwise, I need to do a a soft line mount and put the regulator elsewhere in the box. 

Here is the Charbroil regulator in place...

IMG_3263.JPG.11f150cb83e6d67f79fca7fc184460b0.JPG

and here are the two regulators...

PhotoRoom_20230817_191026.JPG.d369f747be04d09580b633669881a862.JPG

I didn't realize that was a permanent install tank, my mistake.

I don't suppose you could insert a NPT male to female 45 degree fitting like this between the POL and regulator input?  It might angle the regulator into the upper right corner and give you the room to attach a low pressure soft line to the output of the regulator.   (edit:  this may be a bad suggestion as the regulators are designed to be vertical or horizontal.  Angled might be a poor choice).      

I am replacing my original soft low pressure line from the output of the regulator to a hardline under the rig that feeds the rest of the system.   I was told that a softline in this place is what acts as a shock absorber so that the movement of the tank when the rig hits bumps doesn't get transferred to the rest of the piping due to the softline.  

Edited by AtlantaCamper

Charbroil is most compact 2 stage regulator out there.

What’s on the other side of the box where the regulator is hitting against?

Can you dimple that area out or even cutout a small section to accommodate the elbow and gas line?

Just brainstorming.

Unfortunately the box doesn’t have room on the other side in that location. It’s looking like i’ll need to do a soft line and mount the regulator elsewhere in the box. 

I do see single stage regulators that will

fit without issue. Is a 2-stage regulator absolutely crucial? 

Edited by Odyssey 4x4

how about moving the back of the tank to the right, and front to the left

Yes 2 stage is required. Come out of tank high pressure. Single stage it stays high pressure, aka barbeque. 2 stage it comes out low pressure which is what your appliances in an RV need. How on earth is that tank filled? Don't see a proper fill place

Linda S

That looks like one of the use horizontal and fill vertical models.

You have to remove it to fill. So you have to remove the regulator to fill, so you need a flex hose on the output of thee regulator os you can move the regulator to get the tank out. A 90 deg fitting on the regulator output is not a problem.

8 hours ago, WME said:

That looks like one of the use horizontal and fill vertical models.

You have to remove it to fill. So you have to remove the regulator to fill, so you need a flex hose on the output of thee regulator os you can move the regulator to get the tank out. A 90 deg fitting on the regulator output is not a problem.

I swear this tank was hard mounted into the box with bolts front and rear, but I cannot 100% remember. If you folks are confident that this is a remove to fill tank (PITA since it's a pretty big and heavy tank), then that changes my regulator mounting choice. I'd have to go soft mount with a remotely mounted regulator. If only I had photos of the original install! It was too long ago and I just can't remember. 

I searched this site for comments from other Odyssey owners and removing and filling the tank was an issue for quite a few.

Yes you must remove it and fill it upright. Did you watch that old guy who worked on it fill it? The second pol valve with the plastic spin handle is the way to go since it's going to have to be removed often. 

Linda S

Okay well that simplifies things! I'm glad I asked here before I did a permanent hard mount install! I'll update when install is complete, thanks folks. 

Here's an update on the finished product. I ended up doing a soft hose as mentioned...

I used this hose from amazon to go from the tank to the regulator...

IMG_3339.JPG.687cb156a45fecc8e64c1c2481c34826.JPG

I hooked everything up out of the vehicle and opened the tank valve, then checked for leaks at every joint. I then remotely mounted my dual stage regulator in the upper right corner out of the way so that the tank can still be removed to be filled, and also with the vent facing down. We drilled a pass through for the hose into the cabin, and double wrapped the propane line with a hose and shrink-wrap where it goes through the pass through to prevent rubbing.

IMG_3343.JPG.64f87cb171c9948caf62def32dc0f1c2.JPG

We slid the tank into place, secured it down with the studs I installed (you'll need a 1/2" wrench to remove the nuts when you go to fill the tank, I'll leave one in the compartment), and finally installed the new 14x14 door I ordered. I still need to clean the excess butyl off you see in the photo. We also caulked the entire interior side of the access door for any water that gets into the propane compartment. 

IMG_3344.JPG.5752aec57e9320e5b3426b40839630b7.JPG

IMG_3345.jpg.680f4e7849cc61f750e03da625dd6324.jpg

And the most exciting part, I fired up all the LP appliances in the RV for the very first time, and everything worked wonderfully! I'm glad to see my new water heater fire up and know I got all the wiring right on the first try for the remote panel. It was also fun to see the stove and oven fire up for the first time. 

28 minutes ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

Here's an update on the finished product. I ended up doing a soft hose as mentioned...

I used this hose from amazon to go from the tank to the regulator...

IMG_3339.JPG.687cb156a45fecc8e64c1c2481c34826.JPG

I hooked everything up out of the vehicle and opened the tank valve, then checked for leaks at every joint. I then remotely mounted my dual stage regulator in the upper right corner out of the way so that the tank can still be removed to be filled, and also with the vent facing down. We drilled a pass through for the hose into the cabin, and double wrapped the propane line with a hose and shrink-wrap where it goes through the pass through to prevent rubbing.

IMG_3343.JPG.64f87cb171c9948caf62def32dc0f1c2.JPG

We slid the tank into place, secured it down with the studs I installed (you'll need a 1/2" wrench to remove the nuts when you go to fill the tank, I'll leave one in the compartment), and finally installed the new 14x14 door I ordered. I still need to clean the excess butyl off you see in the photo. We also caulked the entire interior side of the access door for any water that gets into the propane compartment. 

IMG_3344.JPG.5752aec57e9320e5b3426b40839630b7.JPG

IMG_3345.jpg.680f4e7849cc61f750e03da625dd6324.jpg

And the most exciting part, I fired up all the LP appliances in the RV for the very first time, and everything worked wonderfully! I'm glad to see my new water heater fire up and know I got all the wiring right on the first try for the remote panel. It was also fun to see the stove and oven fire up for the first time. 

NICE WORK……..

44 minutes ago, AtlantaCamper said:

What a great result!  

It's always rewarding to see the quality collaborative DIY projects documented by this group.  

Agreed! I’ve loved this website since day one of my Toyota camper days. Such a friendly helpful community. 

Looks really great, but I'm curious about the lock on the door.  My understanding was it was a DOT regulation that the propane access door can't be locked for safety reasons.  (in event of an accident, propane can be shut off without delay).  Not a criticism, your work looks great.

36 minutes ago, linda s said:

Good catch. Yes, Odyssey 4x4 he is correct. No locks allowed on propane access doors.

Linda S

I thought this might be the case. I was between no lock for safety reasons, or having a lock to keep it tamper resistant from “curious” folks. I held onto the latch “just in case”.