Coach Fan motor issue

KonCon

My fan in the coach has stopped working so I decided to take a look at it. First of all, I saw that the fuse blew so I replaced it with another 20 amp one but it still did not work. Next, I disconnected the fan motor from the power source and check if there is any power coming to the connection. I found out, that electricity is coming to to the connection so that should be OK. Next I un-installed the Fan because I thought maybe something is blocking it. The fan looks clean. I want to find out if the fan is broken but I'm not really sure how to test for that. I used a multimeter and read for resistance. See the picture in the result below. I feel quite stupid because I don't know what any of this means but I hope you all can help me fix the issue. When I try running the Fan disassembled, it still doesn't work. 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Nico 

PXL_20230730_230840085.jpg

1690758989881378554578684802482.jpg

Edited by KonCon

that  looks to be       a n      aftermarket motor.looks almost new. some of the stuff for sale lacks quality. if the moter does not work with power  to it. you could  run wires to a battery  not the one under the hood for safty sake. and test  no work replace moter . tri to not b uy rebuilt ones . i buy from napa. my personal choice . i dont buy autozone or oriley  they burned me on stuff.  save the blower you need too reinstall on new motor. they do go out time to time .

Edited by 5Toyota

if there are 2 wires, the colored one is pos. connect it to b+ the other to ground. if motor turns you need to look elsewhere.

the broken pin connection is a blower speed resistor pack. remove it and check if it is indeed broken

Yep, as Extech surmised, that's your blower speed resistor.  Should still be able to find/order one of those.  

So i checked again and it looks like the motor is broken somehow. It will turn super slow if at all. Looks like too much friction inside. Does anyone know how to find the exact model where I know it will fit or do you recommend going to Napa. All I know about the rig is that it is a 1987 Toyota with a Sunrader shell :)

OK quick update. I just connected the fan again because I wanted to take a video. It looks like the fan is slowly coming back to life. First it ran super slow on all settings, then it started spinning full speed on high. After turning it up and down a couple of times it got up to speed on setting 3 and 2. Only on low it is still extremely slow. I tried to remove the fan blade thing but I'm not sure how to get it off. Is there a specific place I should oil or grease the motor? 

Edited by KonCon

you can't lube it. replace it.  if you hold the squirrel cage and rap the stud with a hammer, it will separate 

That resistor you bought that you don't have yet is what controls the blower motors speed. Wait till you install that before you 

make any hasty purchases. even if you want to replace it anyway, I am finding lots of blower motors but not so many fan cages or wheel.

Youtube it and figure out how to remove yours cause you might need to reuse it. I just did the same job on my ford truck and the parts were way easier to find. I did replace it all on mine but I know now I would have been fine just replacing the resistor. 

Linda S

That resistor won't keep working for long. Better to take care of it sooner than later. I can pretty much guarantee it will conk 

out completely when it's a blazing hot day or freezing cold and you will be kicking yourself.

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for all my dumb questions, but now I have the motor but it seems like I'm missing something. The screws will not hold it tight because the part where they are screwed in is higher than the casing of the blower. Am I missing a gasket? 

PXL_20230822_011944092.jpg

supposed to be a thick rubber gasket in there. did you save the one it should of had. to reuse did you use the same screws . did you eye ball it side to side with the old motor make shure they are the same.big rubber ring with bolt holes put on motor first .

Edited by 5Toyota

Something doesn't look right. Take it out and show pics of just the blower motor and up into housing. Did you remove the fan or buy a new one.

Did they come attached. 

My Ford blower motor came with the gasket but I don't see them on the Toyota ones anywhere or any you can buy.

Tell me what exactly you bought too. Link? 

Linda S

Probably a foregone conclusion and late for the advice, but I've done 50 years of hobby wrenching and have a policy.  I never throw away an old part I'm replacing until the new one is on and functioning correctly.  Sometimes you need to refer to the old one to confirm you got a bad part, sometimes you'll make an error as to orienting the new part, and sometimes you'll need a little clip or the old gasket to use as a pattern make a new gasket, etc, etc.  That advice came from my Dad all those years ago and I'm passing it along to whomever reads this...

A rubber donut or a coil spring as an anti-vibration mount???

Would a rubber grommet and flat washer work on each screw.

Edited by WME

haynes manual shows a thick gasket. if i recall it's about a 1/4 inch