Bob the Builder Posted April 13 Share Posted April 13 Started my new project recently, a 1982 Sunrader that I am going to build into a gooseneck camper that I can tow behind my 1936 Ford and my other project, a 1938 Diamond T pickup. Figured I would try to post progress on here as I go. I checked out a lot of things on this website for inspiration and some practical knowledge before I started. Hopefully I can figure out the picture thing and post some as I go along. Phase 1: separating from the chassis without having to cut all the steel floor bracing and framework. Starting off with my (fully gutted) shell and chassis, I jacked up the entire chassis and camper and blocked them it about 12 inches or so off the ground. I built four columns out of wood with feet facing front and back and open space between the feet at the bottom. I built a rafter to go across thru the large window openings side to side and match up to the corners of the interior ceiling and across the roof to support the middle with a column on either side on the outside. Then I put a 2x8 across under the overhang just in front of the cab glass and supported it with the other two columns. At the rear I built up cribbing and supported the two rear corners where they tuck under. After I removed about a zillion screws from the cab and cut all that sealer between I put scissors jacks in the middle opening on my four columns. moving side to side I was able to slowly jack the columns up putting more support under them and relieving the weight of the camper from the chassis. Every 1 1/2 inches up I could slip another board under the feet of my columns for stability. As I jacked up the middle and the front, the opening between the cab and the overhang grew, and I placed more weight on the cribbing at the rear to support the back which made the rear more stable. When I could tell that I was supporting the camper enough, I used my circular saw and cut through the floor outside where the bracing underneath was bolted to the frame. It took a while, but I could tell that the floor in the middle was sagging down with the chassis weight and the floor around the perimeter was staying higher supported by the columns,etc. I realize this is a long post, but I wanted to describe this part in detail in case someone else used my method. Go slow and easy and the scissors jacks made it very easy to control the height and to keep the same pressure everywhere. I will try to post some pics now in my next entry since this is so long. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.