Help identifying axle (sounds silly, but I'm pending a purchase)

Hi All - New member and so thankful for the help I've already gotten and information that's available when searching.

I'm set to purchase an out of state 1985 18' 4x4 and I'm getting mixed information on the axle situation. The photos do show a 6 lug inner dual wheel, if my accounting is correct, but in speaking to the owner as well as mechanic, I've become confused.

A failure did happen recently, and the mechanic provided an invoice for an "axle kit" and the labor to replace the left rear axle. He stated the owner seems to have overloaded the camper for the daily usage of the 6 months of their ownership. The mechanic thinks that the nature of the hills in the region, combined with the weight and load caused the failure.

In explaining the axle situation to me, he mentioned it technically was not "full-floating" but semi-floating for what that's worth. 

I'm trying to due my best due diligence before buying but could really use help making sure this setup is what I need or need to avoid(or replace).

Thanks so super much.

-Kyle

aaaaa.jpg

That looks like a 5 lug to me, which should be replaced for the full float 6 lug. But I am not all that familiar with the 4x4 axle configurations. If it is a factory 4x4 I would still consider purchasing it because they are rare and awesome.

Does anyone know if the diffs from a 1/2 ton can drop in to the full float 1 ton? one less thing to worry about if you can find a full float 1 ton. But you'll still need to figure out the rear wheels. Most of the RWD Toyota motorhomes have 14" wheels and I believe the 4x4s came with 15" wheels

Its an incredibly clean truck, and the mechanic is very impressed with it, but if it poses a danger to the family via the axle situation, I cant justify it. The price tag will also hinder being able to do major work like this, unless its actually not that pricey. 

If you can get your hands on a dually full float you can always run it with the 14" wheels for the time being. Do not engage 4WD though, the diff would not be happy. If its clean and you can drip some cash and time into it you'll have a very desirable rig. Not to mention the bargaining chip you'll have in the deal considering its a well known safety issue.

My trouble mostly lies in the negotiated price tag.

Not sure it leaves a lot of budget room for us personally to source the true dually full float axle, wheels, etc and labor. I've gotten comfortable with our offer, if it was good to go with the axle. Not certain I can take the risk with a kiddo in the rig.

https://vanlifetrader.com/listing/unicorn-toyota-sunrader-4x4/

I cannot believe that price tag considering it does not have the full float or 3.4 motor swap. I would not pay that kind of money for any toyota motorhome today.

If your link reflects the one you made an offer on, it suggests having an upgraded 6 lug axle.  If you have discovered the add not to be truthful regarding the axle upgrade, I'd wonder about other claims as well. I apologize to other members when I suggest the price tag on this thing is Outrageous. For 75,000 your just about at a 2022 Tundra and a brand new slide in camper in back plus needed rear end modifications which could make it a true 4wd camper. 

regarding the listing, its also a little misleading. a few things that pop out:

4 seats with seat belts - the only factory seatbelts are the seatbelts in the front two seats. the rear belts are questionable, especially if safety is a priority. 

It mentions a towing package - doubt it. and even if there is a theoretical towing package the 22R is not up for that kind of work. My rig with a 22RE motor sits in the slow lane going up mountain passes @ 35mph on a good day. 

OK so none of the Sunrader 4x4's were built with a full float axle except for one. Custom made for a repeat buyer who insisted on it.  factory in 1986 and the only axle upgrade Sunrader ever did. The axle upgrade for the 4x4's kind of requires custom duallies in the back so front and back are both 15 inch wheels. These custom duallies are available from Custom and Commercial Wheel in southern Cal

Custom and Commercial Wheel

They started making them, surprise!  in 1986 at the request of the Sunrader factory and they still make them today. Full set cost around a thousand dollars. 

Take the axle and wheel cost into consideration when making an offer on a 4x4. 

I personally know of 2 people who bought 4x4 Sunraders and barely made it home because of impending axle failure so it is a must. 

Linda S

4 minutes ago, linda s said:

I personally know of 2 people who bought 4x4 Sunraders and barely made it home because of impending axle failure so it is a must. 

Thanks for the expertise. Not sure we have an extra 3-5k for the parts, wheels, tires, labor, or the spare time we are willing to commit to this particular rig. 

Grab your wallet and run, don't walk away. A proper fix is going to be $7000+

If you just gotta do this thing. Find a good 18ft Sunrader with a 1 ton rear axle. Go to a good 4wd shop and have a front solid axle conversion done and then have C&C make 7 15" rims and 2 spacers.

You realize that even with 4wd you wont be doing serious off roading due to ground clearance. I dove many miles on logging and forest service roads with no problems. Just pay attention to the weather before you go out

These were serious folks about a 4wd Sunrader. watch the entire blog, if my fading memory serves me correctly the rig sold for less than $40,000. Also pay attention to their next rigs...https://www.boundfornowhere.com/blog2/category/Sunrader+Build

Edited by WME

30 minutes ago, WME said:

Grab your wallet and run, don't walk away. A proper fix is going to be $7000+

I wonder if there’s a member here that would be interested in doing or a shop that it could be shipped to for doing the conversion? Have a feeling the owner really wants out from under it and may steeply discount it since they’re apparently moving, maybe to get away from the truck. Definitely don’t want to drive it from Colorado to home with the current wheel and axle setup. 

3 hours ago, wadingthroughlife said:

My trouble mostly lies in the negotiated price tag.

Not sure it leaves a lot of budget room for us personally to source the true dually full float axle, wheels, etc and labor. I've gotten comfortable with our offer, if it was good to go with the axle. Not certain I can take the risk with a kiddo in the rig.

https://vanlifetrader.com/listing/unicorn-toyota-sunrader-4x4/

I would be very careful with this seller. If you read the narrative closely you will find he states it has been upgraded to the 6 lug axle. Alarm bells should be ringing.

7E3038FE-1D65-405F-AE37-EFF57B1EF611.jpeg

actually it does have a 6 lug axle like all 4x4s had. just not a floater.  i also would be wary of the things listed like the seat belts, tow package, etc.  the price is way too high. 

7 minutes ago, extech said:

actually it does have a 6 lug axle like all 4x4s had. just not a floater.  i also would be wary of the things listed like the seat belts, tow package, etc.  the price is way too high. 

Exactly. All 4x4’s came factory with the 6 lug axle. How can the seller say it’s been “upgraded” unless they’re trying to suggest the axle is a ff. Deceptive narrative as I suggested.

21 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Exactly. All 4x4’s came factory with the 6 lug axle. How can the seller say it’s been “upgraded” unless they’re trying to suggest the axle is a ff. Deceptive narrative as I suggested.

Yep they came with a six bolt axle and a single rim, the upgrade to the dually on this rig is a "foolie" and not a good idea.

FWIW The 4wd 6 bolt rim is NOT the same size as the 1 ton.

6 bolt 1 ton = 7.5" bolt pattern, the 6 bolt 4wd is 5.5"... a stock 5 bolt truck rim is 4.5"