What Rig Would You Trade Your Toy Home For..?

Totem

I am running a 1986 21 foot sunrader currently.

There are only 3 rigs I will consider "trading up" for...

1.) the Dodge ram Scotty, in 12 valve Cummins flavor

2.) Toyota Odyssey Americana with Rear Dinette

3.) Sun Rader Rear dinette with V6.

These 3 I feel I could trade up to with minimal capital most likely.

What would you trade up to?

if you did find a 6 cylinder lasharo it would be custom, because they were not ever made in a 6. they were made with diesel and gas 4s, if memory serves me.

timely topic totem,

I have a rear dinette sunrader (shorter one). I have not taken out for its maiden voyage yet.

But did take my diesel and my 30 ft tow behind camper last weekend. it rained the first day and we were stuck inside the camper and I figured out space is important.

I went up some hills going north on 131 toward Cadillac MI and going west on 115. so power is important or lack of frontal area.

So for my weekend camping needs, I would say a bare bones Toyota without the front cab over but with a bunk bed in the back and potty and a dinette. I could use a cook top outside to cook.

if you did find a 6 cylinder lasharo it would be custom, because they were not ever made in a 6. they were made with diesel and gas 4s, if memory serves me.

There was a company that converted quite a few of them to V6. I think for $28,000?? Could b wrong on the price?? Jim

agree, I meant a bunk bed in the space where the kitchenette is right now.

A friend of mine just bought an 18ft Sunrader with a snap and nap option. The rear of the camper pops out and makes another bed besides the dinette one. Like the back of this Amerigo camper which was made by the same company

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y505/bobw5/Inside_1_zpsdzzipo1w.jpg

Linda S

Mercedes Winnebago 26’ class A Via. Only 5’ longer twice the room and better mileage.

I see a couple of Clarions every year. One just sold on eBay for $7000 Aug 18th.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-CLARION-CLASS-B-MOTORHOME-/121728743281?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c57993771&item=121728743281

Linda S

It actually didn't sell, the guy relisted it just a few days ago. I emailed him and I'm fairly certain it's a scam.

yeah 0 feedback on a vehicle is not exactly positive. if a seller doesn't at least have 2 fake positive feedbacks I wont even entertain email them in order to read the reply about the wire transfer to Zimbabwe to uncle click click.

Quite a few around. With 3.3 Dodge V6 engines and transaxles. The conversion has been pretty much standardized by a few companies. Some also have GM V6s. Best mileage I've seen reported is 15 MPG after the conversion. I'd rather have a stock turbo-diesel Lesharo or Phasar. Kind of rare. Plenty of non-turbo diesels for sale cheap though (and kind of useless).

I'd change to a Pro-van Tiger pop-up. Or even the Astrovan RV I just missed buying this week cheap. 1987 Establishment Aerolite. But since I've never got to drive the Establishment - can't say how much I would of liked it.

Ford's newest mini Transit van is available with a small high-tech turbo diesel. I'd never be able to afford one but figured it would make a great small RV. Already available in Europe as an RV. But ...??? It has a 3.2 liter Powerstroke 5 cylinder diesel. Sounds great - but I'm disappointed at road tests so far.

It got 25 MPG empty (as a van, not as an RV). And when pulling a small 5000 lb. Jayco trailer - it got a dismal 12 MPG. That is just plain AWFUL for a small turbo diesel. Also read a few tests on the Mercedes diesel based RVs and those are only getting 17-18 MPG in real world driving. Good but not good enough to justify the price and added expense of diesel fuel, maintenance, etc.

I can pull a Jayco 5000 lb. trailer with my 1983 diesel 4WD Chevy Blazer and get 13.2 MPG. I can pull it with my 1994 Ford F250 with 7.3 turbo diesel and get 14.2 MPG. I can pull it with my 1992 Dodge-Cummins 4WD and get 15.5 MPG. How the heck can a brand new 2015 Transit van with the highest tech 3.2 liter turbo do so much worse?

definitely a sprinter based, wide body with passenger and driver seats that swivel around and recline. Needs a slide out or two as well.

Might as well trade up...if I had the funds to do so. Where is my winning lottery ticket????

Have a friend that made a camper out of a 5 cylinder Sprinter he has done as well as 22 MPG. The Via will do 16-18 pretty dang good for some thing that size. Most Via's have at least one slide I like the ones with the rear bed room and it will fit in my garage!

Diesel is running cheaper than gas here in Michigan right now; at least down south here anyway.

I had tears in my eye, I bought Shell diesel for 2.23 in Cadillac MI.

Sprinter van are great for MPG but you will cry if something breaks, some dealerships will just throw parts at it.

Here is my mpg.

90 miles @ 65 to 70 mph - 13.6 mpg

40 miles @ 60 to 65 mph - 14.5 mpg

my rig weighs 16000 lbs and stand around 10 ft tall.

Best part was not mpg but my ability to go up hills and maintain speed.

Diesel is running cheaper than gas here in Michigan right now; at least down south here anyway.

Last week here in Northern Michigan - diesel was 60 cents per gallon cheaper then regular gas. Had me wishing I hadn't just sold my diesel car and RV. Also had me thinking of putting a 5 cylinder Mercedes turbo in my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser. But now diesel is 8 cents more per gallon as regular gas. Still a good deal IF it stays that way.

Have a friend that made a camper out of a 5 cylinder Sprinter he has done as well as 22 MPG. The Via will do 16-18 pretty dang good for some thing that size. Most Via's have at least one slide I like the ones with the rear bed room and it will fit in my garage!

"as well as 22 MPG" is the clincher. Lots of "best tank" figures around, but I bet his average is 17-18 MPG at best.

I took a trip yesterday in my 1994 Ford F250 with 7.3 turbo diesel, 4WD, extended cab. long-bed, 4.10 axles. etc. Has a lifetime average of 13.8 MPG. Yesterday I got 20.5 MPG which was pretty amazing. Nice figure to brag about but has little to do with my real average.

Not certain about trading but we will definately be getting a newer RV. Our Toyota was just our entry trial RV. I was reluctant and pretty unsure this would be any sort of choice I would enjoy. Ours we got because the wife wanted to give RV camping a try and I'm not very good at saying no to her.

Now the discussion is about living part of the year based out of some sort of RV. We are thinking more modern and bigger. If a motorhome, must be able to tow a vehicle, likely a jeep wrangler. The toyota is only suitable for us on short trips. It is perfect for the beach camping we do a few days at a time. That is why I spent the time and effort fixing it up the way I have. Next RV will make us a 2 RV family but I think that will suit us better than any one.

we've also discussed getting a scamp (the all white egg looking one) or getting a large old airstream and gutting it and making it super nice.; but I love the RV ability to not need bathroom breaks for the kids... cant give that up; especially when we only go 55-65 mph tops.

Not would but did. A 99 26ft Georgie Boy Class A. We've spent up to a month at a time traveling in it. Advantages over the Escaper, ROOM in side, fresh water and holding tank capacity, storage compartments. and it will tow 5000lb.

Disadvantage is MPG 10 vs 14. At 26ft the parking is only a bit harder than the Toy, but the view from up there makes it easier.

we've also discussed getting a scamp (the all white egg looking one) or getting a large old airstream and gutting it and making it super nice.; but I love the RV ability to not need bathroom breaks for the kids... cant give that up; especially when we only go 55-65 mph tops.

Scamp motorhome on a Toyota, or a Scamp trailer? I almost bought a 1987 Scamp-Toyota motorhome before I got my Minicruiser. Kind of looks like a Sunrader at a glance with what appeared to be all fiberglass body.

jde, never saw a scamp toy like you describe, to me I was referring to the scamp tow behind. I joked with my wife that I would tow one WITH the sunrader if I had a v6 because they have similar style with the all white fiberglass fuselage.

Scamp made some neat little motorhomes based on Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, and Ford mini or midi truck chassies. Kind of rare though. Same basic fiberglass construction as the little camper-trailers.

post-6578-0-06344100-1441304423_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-30582800-1441304428_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-06554700-1441304453_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-45012100-1441304454_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I know most people wouldn't tow with the Sunrader but we have been pulling our gas golf cart around on a landscape trailer and it has been doing fine. We've debated pulling my wife's Yaris but I'd only want to do that if we had a tow dolly with electric brakes. We have the V6 with 183k on it and it runs like a top.

jde, never saw a scamp toy like you describe, to me I was referring to the scamp tow behind. I joked with my wife that I would tow one WITH the sunrader if I had a v6 because they have similar style with the all white fiberglass fuselage.

I have towed with my 22re sunrader, but not much and infrequently.

I towed a 2 place snowmobile trailer that had a 9000 watt jobsite generator (with a 20 hp briggs motor) on it a couple times for my wifes annual family reunion party she throws for her cousins up north Mi. also had some bits and odds ratcheted down, and the pace was slow, 55 MPH was the max it would do. The V6 does better.

If I had a V6 sunrader I would tow a scamp also in white fiberglass for my kids. that would be hysterical I think; huge white fiberglass camper towing white fiberglass egg trailer.