Generator - Honda vs Champion

davidtan

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of buying either the Champion 75537i or the Honda 3000is. The Honda is 750 more and also weighs more, but I think its quieter and uses less gas. It also has the Honda reputation... What do you guys think?

I am on my 4th Honda genset 3 Eu2000i's and they just cannot be beat!

I would wonder about service and parts on the Champion? Jim

If I was on my forth Honda I wouldn't be so optimistic personally... what happened to the first 3?

If I was on my forth Honda I wouldn't be so optimistic personally... what happened to the first 3?

Exactly! FWIW I have a Honeywell 2000 and it's a piece of crap. Failed on me only after a couple of uses. Changed oil, pugs air/fuel filter and flushed the carb. To the junkpile it goes.

I don't know about other portables but service and parts for Honeywell are nonexistent. I could not even find a simple fuel filter.

Fair question! Had an Onan diesel which I renovated and it killed me on parts $$$. Onan charges whatever the market will bare and then some for parts. If I had known how expensive parts were I never would have bought the generator! Sold it and got a good buy on the first 2 Honda's and ran them in parallel. I was full timing and got tired of the in and out for starting so bought and installed a Honda EV4010. No longer needed the first 2 and sold them for what I paid for them after using for 2 years. The little Hondas really hold there value! Sold the motor home with the EV4010 after using it for 6? years. Now have another EU2000i for emergency use. Will likely use it in Toy.

I truly wish I could say they were Onan, GM, Chrysler, Ford or any American name. Jim SW FL

Honda's are quiet and you pay for that. Champion has been making a pretty good name for them self's many RV outfits have been selling them they are the only one that figured out early on RV's have 30 amp plugs took Honda awhile to figure that out.They are now making an inverter generator I have seen one but that's about it don't have a clue about them. I have got to tell you this I have a fill in the blanks generator but it looks exactly like a Champion small 2000 watt generator all though I am not convinced my friends Honda did not have an issue but powering the same load (fairly high load) my little generator was just as quiet.

Fair question! Had an Onan diesel which I renovated and it killed me on parts $$$. Onan charges whatever the market will bare and then some for parts. If I had known how expensive parts were I never would have bought the generator! Sold it and got a good buy on the first 2 Honda's and ran them in parallel. I was full timing and got tired of the in and out for starting so bought and installed a Honda EV4010. No longer needed the first 2 and sold them for what I paid for them after using for 2 years. The little Hondas really hold there value! Sold the motor home with the EV4010 after using it for 6? years. Now have another EU2000i for emergency use. Will likely use it in Toy.

I truly wish I could say they were Onan, GM, Chrysler, Ford or any American name. Jim SW FL

I replaced a 5000 watt Onan in a friends MH it didn't run I said fix it he said replace it bottom line I ended up with it. A $16 part and a lot of labor later I had a generator that was the epitome of quiet. It is a 1800 RPM generator that now belongs to our amateur radio club standing right next to it you can carry on a conversation with it making max smoke. it truly makes a Honda noisy.

If budget is an issue, find a lightly used Honda Eu2000i...then be done with it. You only paid once...enjoy the benefits for a long time. It's easy to start...just a gentle pull. It runs quieter, parts and service are cheap...plus it holds value well. The Yamaha is also very attractive too.

if it starts and runs a rooftop unit, that's the attraction for me. If quiet is desired then you could fit a whole lot of solar and inverter for the price of a Honda...

Good discussion! I've been considering these gens for awhile now, too: Without something to power the roof A/C, in this part of the country it's too hot to travel from about June 1st - September 15th. I'll probably end up with a Champion or similar eventually—don't think I could swing $700+ for a (used) Honda.

No, unless you'd (maybe) settle for charging your batteries all day in order to run your AC for 3 minutes. :)

So small genny vs solar panels is not really an option for anyone wanting to use AC. Jim

as I mentioned if ROOFTOP AC is the desire, you will need a genny, if quiet power is the only concern (*adding disclaimer of not expecting to run rooftop AC) then you could get much better results from solar and an inverter.

And to challenge Derek, I would say you COULD do it with solar, batteries and inverter if you gave up using a rooftop unit and did what Waiter did using a low power BTU window unit. You could get a few hours; enough to cool the rig down and go to sleep after turning it off.

My cousins Honda 2000 started my 13,500 BTU coleman mach iii...of course I did install a supco boosting capacitor however into my air conditioner... *Note it would only start it when not in economy mode.

So it can be done.

And to challenge Derek, I would say you COULD do it with solar, batteries and inverter if you gave up using a rooftop unit and did what Waiter did using a low power BTU window unit. You could get a few hours; enough to cool the rig down and go to sleep after turning it off.

I'm challenged enough already. :) This (running roof AC on 12V) has already been discussed. But a challenge for you. Actually install it and operate it off solar panels (as originally proposed) and let us all know how it works. :)

Yes the Eu2000i Honda will start the 11000 BTU Power Saver Coleman Unit Mach I for sure and some others with soft start capacitors. Not all roof top AC units so do you research carefully.

last I knew there is a company that makes a 12 volt swamp cooler . I have seen one before.

my son just bought the champion inverter generator at cabelas I felt that it was pretty quiet. he has a brand new 28 ft jayco with a big roof air I think 15000 BTU seemed to run that ok but have to shut it off to run the microwave. I don't know what it cost he said less then a Honda.

I just checked the Cabela's site. You can pick up a 3100 watt inverter gen with remote start for $1099 including free shipping. It puts out 3100 max and 2800 running watts.

The AC unit alone, 48VDC, 500W typical cooling, very high SEER (18.61) alone is $1800 ea.

This needs 4 12V batteries. May be worth it if you use it a lot but for my RV application, I only really need AC couple times a year. This is hardly worth it.

I'm challenged enough already. :) This (running roof AC on 12V) has already been discussed. But a challenge for you. Actually install it and operate it off solar panels (as originally proposed) and let us all know how it works. :)

The big boys (huge MH's) tried it and gave it up as a bad ideal they have a much bigger roof's and more bigger batteries. Want AC get a generator.

JJRBUS, BOOM you nailed it, I love it.

Its nice to see some people aren't afraid to use their keyboard or think past their wallet. That being said, I agree with Maineah, which don't happen much but the generator can run AC just fine, if you get a better AC with less required draw of course. Still, solar powered AC units like the one you have shown do exist.

$1800 for solar unit

$270 batteries

$500 in panels

$2570 and you are near the price of a Honda brand new that can run a rooftop; and of course you are fuel free; there is the offset. I rest my case. UpNorth, Don't make me flex my credit card at your challenge; I am in the market for new AC and am very lazy about Gas; as well as considering throwing my propane fridge out which would leave a nice hole about the size of that unit.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaa.

*as compared to

$2000 Honda 3000EUI

$700 13500 BTU coleman mach 3

$xxx gas

$2700 plus

also dry weight on eui3000 is 144.0 lbs...

batteries weigh in at 240 lbs so its only an additional 100 lbs, before you chime in on weight... Nam, the unit is 18,000 BTUs vs the average 13,500 coleman. it also heats your rig at night and eliminates need for a furnace, and you MUST have at least one battery anyway so - 60 lbs there... guys this is starting to really seem like superior set up regardless of how much you use your rig.

Ugh what do you do down south at night when its 90/95.

Ugh what do you do down south at night when its 90/95.

As strange as it may seem there are people in FL that do not use AC! They do not like it, I try to keep my AC 10° below the outside temp. So when it is 90 out I am set at 80. If I do not do that I do not want to go outside. Jim

they quote out a full setup for 4k.

They are gouging on the solar panels, the panel's brackets, the PWM controller by 25% Methinks you could source the other parts out the door for a grand total including AC unit of $3000.

You would also at that time have a fantastic 48v power setup, heater etc. I am sooooo wanting to do it. the main thing I am having problems with is getting the dimensions of the indoor and outdoor units. anyone find them?

Have you checked how many batteries you will need to run this 24/7. I'm thinking like 40 golf cart type, the price goes down buying a full pallet with 48 units. Jim

why would I want to run this 24 x 7? my toy home is a mobile cot; its not my main residence and I only need to make driving or sleeping more comfortable. The rest of the time I am out there getting R done exploring caves , surfing waves at the wave pool, hitting slides or whatever it is that I am out there checking out. SO no, I don't need 48 batteries.