Living Full Time In Your Motorhome

Hello There,

The time has come for me to move off the grid and into the next chapter of my life. I currently live in a city, but my long term goals do not include city life and I want to save as much money as I can while I'm here with a good job, before moving on. So I bought a 21' Sunrader and wil be moving into it come July. I figure it's an investment and I'll never be without a dry place to sleep as I wander through life now and for years to come.

So I was wondering if anyone on here actually lives full time or at least spends alot of time living in your motorhome. I don't see a whole lot of problems that i'd run into. I know which neighborhoods are safe and which have nosy neighbors or chance of theft to watch out for and that kind of thing. So I'm wondering if anyone has any other tips or just things to share about this living situation?

I've lived in mine for a few months straight while on a job away from home.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you can deal with sewer and water.

Consider using a trailer park, mobile home park, or rv park and exchanging work/maintenance for space rent. Or just pay the rent. It avoids being viewed as a vagrant.

My Dolphin didn't have a deadbolt for the cabin door. I installed one after getting the hardware from Amazon.

I think I will put a dead bolt on the door eventually. The lock that is on it is pretty rockin' though. I've tugged on the door a few times to see how well the lock holds and it's solid and works really well, though extra security isn't ever a bad choice.

I'm staying where I live now since I like where I live, just going the rent free route since the cost of living is getting worse and ridiculous that I have a well paying job, but can't even afford a decent studio. Plus, I want to save money. So I already know the regulations for overnight parking etc. and what streets i'm ok in. I've had the RV parked here in my neighborhood since I bought it in May, and haven't had any issues. Oversize vehicles aren't allowed to park on public streets over night, but here oversized is anything larger than 22ft, which is one reason I chose this RV. Overnight is all good. I will move it around to different parts of the neighborhood within a mile or so, so no one gets annoyed with me. I am curtious and understand the concerns of people having vagrants setting up shop in their neighborhood, but also, I don't think it's right to classify someone as a vagrant just because their home is on wheels. I understand that some people with this living situation make a mess and leave trash or put a bad name on living in a motorhome, but I am respectful and again, will move it. I've also been mindful of where I park even though I don't live in it yet. I know people get all worried when there's an RV parked in front of their house, so I've been parking in spots next to schools, businesses, or places that are not directly in front of someone's door. So I am very aware of the impact of an RV parked in a public place.

I work full time as well, so it's not like I'll be hanging around all the time. I'll really just be sleeping in it for the most part. I'll be at work 90% of the time, plus I'm always out and about on my days off. This also cancels out the work exchange for rent in an RV park since I have a full time job.

As for dumping, I've located dump stations near me, so that's all good.

I've also considered living in an RV park, but there aren't any in or very close to the city. The closest isn't horribly far, but it's a commute nontheless and costs just as much monthly rent as an apartment...meaning over $1000 a month. Plus gas for the commute.

I understand that this living situation is somewhat looked down upon or considered homeless in our society, but alot of the way I live and view the world isn't "normal" by societies standards, and to me the "normal" way of life is as "weird" as living in an RV is to most. I am what I am, but I'm not a bum or a loser or anything less fortunate. I simply want to be kind to the environment, live off the grid and live simply. In time, I will move out of the city, where this living situation will be easier, but for now, I'm here and will make do.

I do appreciate the condieration and advice and I apologize if my response seems contrary to that. I appreciate all the advice this board has to offer! Any other tips on spending alot of time in a motorhome would be great!

Thanks!

I have a friend who lived in his tiny Sunrader in Los Angeles for 10 years while he saved and invested so he could retire very early. He belonged to a gym and showered there and moved his overnight locations often. Near me in San Jose there are quite a few motorhomes that I see on a regular basis at Home Depot. Sometimes they are there quite a while. Walmarts are RV friendly most places but none in the bay area allow overnight parking. Even so I still see motorhomes there once and a while. Cheap campgrounds in the area are Anthony Chabot lake in Castro valley. Del Valle in Pleasanton, Alameda fair grounds in Pleasanton. These will all be pretty booked up for the summer but once school is back in session they will be wide open. Audiss Rv park in El Cerrito used to be really cheap too but don't know now. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Linda S

Go onto CL and check the parking and storage section. Many advertise long term parking spots.

You could also post what your looking for. There may be someone who would rent you an area on their property for some money or help around the house.

Gym membership is a good option. Does away with frequent search for dumping station.

I've been full timing for over 1 year and I love it. My monthly housing expense is less than $200.00 (including gym membership).

It takes some adjustments in lifestyle. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it so much if I had to search for parking on a regular basis.

Thank you thank you for more voices!

RV parks and campgrounds are a no go for me since they are not practical in my money saving efforts and not close enough to the city to justify the cost/time/stress of a daily commute.

I only see myself visiting a dump station once a month or less since again, most of my time is spent at work where I can do my business. On the plus side, the cheapest dump station i've found is right near the ocean, so I combine my need to empty my tanks with my need to get out of the city when I can. So two birds with one stone, I get a weekend by the ocean and empty tanks.

I've thought of renting a parking space or something like that and will take a look at this option, but even those situations cost quite a bit and there's not a lot of space like that here, unless I'm not within the city limits. Currently the only listings on craigslist are people LOOKING for parking, the others are compact garage spaces and the only one offering a reasonable sized space is asking $2000 a month! Yup! Lot's of people moving into RVs in this expensive city and looking for a place to park. They should open an RV park...though I imagine they'd charge a lot for that too. On the upside for me, if i'm ever without a place to park for the night, I can park at work. I just can't park there full time and honestly, I need a break from work on my days off ya know?

There are a lot of RVs parked all over the city and all over the streets, but the ones that don't get picked on very often are parked in scetchy neighborhoods or streets that have street sweeping every night from 12am-5am, so you have to move alot.

Really though, legally, I have to move every 72 hours. ANY vehicle has to move every 72 hours, but they don't enforce it on regular cars. I've lived in this neighborhood for over 2 years and have parked my daily use Tacoma for more than a week at a time, and no notices. Every car around my RV sits longer than 3 days, and no notices. So i've tested some streets and locations with the RV and in some places, I get a violation notice even if i'm parked less than 3 days, but other streets in nice and friendly neighborhoods, I've parked for more than 3 days and haven't gotten a warning notice, so this leads me to believe that I only get a notice when someone calls to complain. So to me, it's just learning where the nosy and picky people live. Again, when I park outside of a school or business, I don't get notices. Sounds complicated, I know, but Ah...it's all part of the adventure and I considered this before making a decision to buy.

Over all, i'll be saving alot of money to help me achieve some big goals in the future and as I mentioned, I won't be living in the city forever, but do plan on living in the RV even after I leave the city, so it's great to hear everyone's input and someday I'll have some of my own to share. Great advice!

The guy I got my 1988 Minicruiser from had gotten it to live full-time when taking a new job in the oil fields in North Dakota. 59 years old! I guess he had nothing good going for him in northern Michigan and thus his plan. He had gotten a DWI before he got to leave and lost his driver's license. That's how I wound up buying it.

I suspect any RV is going to suffer with long-term use if heat has to be used. Like what this guy was planning in North Dakota in the winter. Heating causes moisture in the air and any housing needs good venting or it starts to rot. A permanent house will have all kinds of venting on one side of the insulation. RVs usually have none. Moisture just gets trapped and rots any wood it can find.

Incurable, you write well and convey an attitude which will enable success in your venture. Suggest maybe you start a blog on the topic? Your story will resonate with others in the same mode.

At least keep us up to date on this board.

Hello There,

The time has come for me to move off the grid and into the next chapter of my life. I currently live in a city, but my long term goals do not include city life and I want to save as much money as I can while I'm here with a good job, before moving on. So I bought a 21' Sunrader and wil be moving into it come July. I figure it's an investment and I'll never be without a dry place to sleep as I wander through life now and for years to come.

So I was wondering if anyone on here actually lives full time or at least spends alot of time living in your motorhome. I don't see a whole lot of problems that i'd run into. I know which neighborhoods are safe and which have nosy neighbors or chance of theft to watch out for and that kind of thing. So I'm wondering if anyone has any other tips or just things to share about this living situation?

Wow!, This just what I'm getting ready to do, but I am retiring into a 21' Itasca Spirit. Planning on small towns up north in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, etc. Then down to BLM in Yuma in the winter.

Just waiting for real estate to go up more here then sell my house.

So I can't offer any advice at this time.

Dana

Incurable, you write well and convey an attitude which will enable success in your venture. Suggest maybe you start a blog on the topic? Your story will resonate with others in the same mode.

At least keep us up to date on this board.

Thanks for the compliment! I thought of starting a blog, but it's not really my kind of thing. I don't use the internet all that much and wont have access to it once I move in to the RV. I may get a portable wi-fi thingy eventually, but it's not at the top of my list of things to do for my RV at the moment. I may drop in here from time to time if there's some fun facts or things to share about this adventure, because I know, epecially in this city, more people are turning to motorhomes as an affordable living situation, so my experience may turn out to be interesting for others. I know I'd definitely love to hear stories from others living in their motorhomes.

I lived on the road in the back of my tacoma with a camper shell for nearly two years from 2010-2012. Of course home basing with friends and relatives around the country since my truck wasn't equipt with bathroom and kitchen and that kind of thing, but it was so much fun and I miss it so much. So It's so exciting to me to be living in an RV now! Even thinking about the troubles I may have, and situations i'll have to deal with. It'll be all my own doing. I knew what I was getting into when I decided to do this, so there's no one to blame but myself when those situations arise, and alas, I will deal with them and move on. I won't be worried about paying rent. I get to enjoy what I work hard to earn and I wont be dealing with roommates or accommodating others. It'll be just me and new experiences and possibilities. Just think, I could just pick up and leave one day and it's as simple and turning a key and driving. Ah! Life is good!

Wow!, This just what I'm getting ready to do, but I am retiring into a 21' Itasca Spirit. Planning on small towns up north in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, etc. Then down to BLM in Yuma in the winter.

Just waiting for real estate to go up more here then sell my house.

So I can't offer any advice at this time.

Dana

That sounds awesome! Ideally I would not live in the city, but I am here for a while longer. Eventually I will be taking my RV around the country and living in small towns etc like you mentioned. This is only the beginning for my full time RV living! I'd love to hear of your adventures once you get started!

How about a U-Store-It place? I've heard of people living in the storage units. A few years ago I kept my RV parked in a storage lot and paid $35 per month. Having a fence and automatic gate would provide some extra security.

There have been some great suggestions on here and I thank you all for your input.

I'm not going into this blindly and have put thought into how I want to do this and know there will be some issues I come across with parking on public streets, but I'm really not worried about it. That is my plan and to me, it just adds to the excitement and adventure. So i'm not looking for solutions, nor am I trying to add to cost of living, otherwise I'd just stay where I am and pay rent. I am trying to do away with monthly fees and owing anything to anyone, other than the cost of insurance. The main point of me starting this topic was to hear stories or shared experiences, not really "ok this is HOW you do it." Though I do appreciate everyones suggestions and I don't meant to sound ungrateful. I'm not trying to make enemies by that comment. But I have my plan set on how I'm going to do it. It may not be what everyone would choose or sound the most practical to some, but this is the way I will try. If it doesn't work, I'll try something else. Just curious IF anyone else on here is doing it or at least traveling alot where you spend alot of time living in your motorhome and what you've experienced, funny/crazy stories, do you love it? Wish you had a place with a foundation after a few years? Really, i'm just a curious person and love to hear what others in similar situations experience.

Thanks again for all the replies and conversation!

I've been living in my Chinook for 3 months now and plan to go until my money runs out...which I was hoping would be a year but the $ might not make it that far.

So not the same as your situation; I'm moving around, traveling, checking places out, visiting friends and family and camping/backpacking. But if you have any specific questions, feel free PM me or ask here.

As far as living in a certain town and working, actually leading a "normal" life while living in an RV, I don't have much advice.

One thing I've realized as I've traveled around is that if I were to actually live on the road in an RV and not just travel for a year, I would definitely need a bigger RV. I haven't felt claustrophobic or anything, it's just that I'm neglecting my body a bit. It's still very cold in the mornings and I have no room inside to move around.

I'm used to getting up and stretching, doing slow exercise and that sort of thing, and it's not really possible inside; too cold outside.

I can (and planned to all along) start hitting yoga studios when I'm in towns, but it's pricey, especially when all I really need is the space. But with what I spend on food and beer, I should get over it and pay for a yoga class once a week or so!

I think your idea sounds great. I'm not much for conventional living so I say try anything. I'll be living in my Sunrader full time starting in about 4 months. Just trying to save money for a few more months so I can go awhile without working, but will have to find jobs on the road eventually. I'm not going to stay put in a city, I'll be traveling around the country, no real plans, just go wherever and whenever the spirit moves me. Find temporary work along the way. When I first got the idea I did a lot of web searches about living full time in an rv, and a few good sites popped up of people doing it. While several were of people moving around a lot there were some sites of people living full time in cities, just moving every few days like you plan on. I can't wait to share experiences with you. At first I was going to to a lot of work to the interior of my Toyota to make it more how I think I need it, but I decided to wait until I am actually living in it on the road. My design plans already changed once after I took a week long trip, so I think they'll change again as I start full timing. No hurry, I'll just do things as I need to. Thats the whole point of this for me, to not be tied down to any place or even ideas.

Hi Zach, yes, Yoga is GOOD ! even if you can't do the asanas, you can do meditation & the breathing mediums in your limited space or outside if your are in a nice quiet woods somewhere...I live pretty deep in the woods & love to go outside in the morning, sit & find my center, put all the positive energy that I can into the coming day......think about the things that passed in the previous day and look to the universe to try to understand my faults...do a few stretches, sometimes play my guitar or play with my dogs...I like to do this at least a couple of daze a week..Yoga is good for the soul. peace, Donnie

Yeah the still part isn't as hard (in a camper, that is...in general it's the harder part), it's the moving around part I need to get out and do. I keep thinking when it warms up I'll do better, but I keep moving to cooler areas! The places that are warm in the morning right now are HOT the rest of the day.

But probably I should just toughen up and get out there and do it :)

Great! Those things, along with "getting over self-consciousnes of practicing where people can see me and think I'm weird", and I'll be there!

Aren't you still on the west coast. Weird is normal here. I have neighbors who stop every so often on their walks and do Tai Chi. All good

Linda S

Awesome to see some new "faces" in this topic and hearing your input and how it's been for those of you who have been living on the road. I'm excited to hear more from you who will be doing this in the future as well! Feel free to PM me anytime as you begin your adventures...though I won't be online much once I move into the RV, but i'll try to stop in once in a while.

I'm also glad yoga came up in this thread. I love yoga, and have been having visions of myself doing yoga on the roof of the RV once I move OUT of the city. I think I may call too much attention if i'm doing my sun salutations on the roof on the side of the road somewhere ay? :) I can imagine that the small space does make it difficult get excersize. I shall keep that in mind when I hit the road. I am ok with living in a small space. Currently, I live in an 8'X8' studio in a garden which I call my Hobbit Hole. It built a few years ago, so funny enough, the RV will be an upgrade in living space! I'm short as well, so small spaces aren't as hindering as it is for taller people. My job is also extremely physically demanding, and it's not very cold where I live, so for now, i'll be ok on fitness. But again, good to note about space to move. It makes sense that it could be challenging, so thanks for mentioning it. Do more yoga!

As far as the topic of being weird. Well, I was born that way, so people can think what they want. Ha!

Hearing from those of you on the road makes me miss that life so much. I will get back to it someday soon. My goal is to stay here at least a year more and save as much as I can, then i'm off wherever the wind takes me!

That is funny. Our Toyota is an upgrade in our living as well. I have spent the past twelve years living in a small "cabin" on our organic farm, growing vegetables and such for tailgate markets. The Toyota is the first home my son has ever lived in that has full indoor plumbing and electricity. He feels like he is in luxury!

That's funny. It's a step down in size for me, but I love it. My house was small and ugly, but had a nice large living room that I kept pretty much empty, so I had private, heated space to move around in.

Of course the Chinook is an especially small motorhome...

Exercise isn't so hard. I have a dog with me so I get out on hikes as often as I can. It's rare that we don't do at least one a day. It's my early morning stuff that I'm missing, and that's the stuff that helps me relax and keep loose. The hikes do good. Moving around in any sense is great. But the morning stuff gets into deeper areas.

Good luck saving up! It's really nice to have something like that to look forward to. It was at about the one year point that my trip really started seeming real, and I could really do concrete things to get ready for it.

Ok but if you think your area is wierd I saw hundreds of naked people riding bicycles on the streets of my neighborhood today. A friend's nearby boat yard is the unofficial, official undressing room. It's solstice!

Some of this free living, weird stuff I have no problem missing.

Linda S

We are traveling with our comfort zones snugged up around us.

And this is a problem because??

I like to see where some of these high numbers come from. From any I've seen that can be anywhere close to verified - maybe 1/10th of 1% of the USA population lives in an RV and WANT to, i.e. they are not broke and forced to, RV is still mobile, etc.. Maybe 200,000 our of 314,000,000 citizens? I'd call that a "low number" and not the norm. Not that it should matter to someone who wants to do it. The fewer people doing it - probably the better it is for those that DO. The idea of having no property or school taxes certainly appeals to me. Not being able to carry all my tools and equipment and probably paying big bucks for any repair does not. It would be tough to do in any areas I've lived in NY or MI. Any RV that gets parked for X amount of time becomes a legal residence. Then it must meet certain building codes and gets taxed. They even passed a law to make building a new barn or cabin on bare land illegal unless a house is built first.

I recently "inherited" an RV that a Chippewa Indian lived in for 1 1/2 years, full time. Northern Michigan. It was ignored by the local code officer because the Indian had been hired to log off the land and live there while doing it. He's back on the reservation now. Seems he ran out of room in the RV for all the empty booze bottles. He had a chimney installed and an oil burning stove. It was pretty well hidden behind a small barn. Heating it full time in cold winters really did a number on it.

post-6578-0-50535900-1403437986_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01034400-1403437988_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-77328100-1403437988_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-73307300-1403437989_thumb.jp

The grand adventure you speak of depends of your point of view. I live in the middle of WY in a town of 10,000. There are people who are born here, live here and die here. They never leave the state. Yellowstone whats that? The younger generation is getting worse, why go some place when you can just Google it.

When talking to some of them, they were aghast that I spent 2 weeks on trip this summer AND even that I spent the night at several Wal-marts, strange Wal-Marts at that.

I've spent months living in tents where it was too hot, cold, wet. There isn't much "grand" about being cold and wet for a couple of months or trying to sleep in the daytime when its 95 degrees and 90 % humidity.

I like my AC and heater. Roughing it means no TV.

I agree living in an RV takes a bit of the adventure out of it. Even in my tiny Chinook, I can let myself get way too "insulated" and not venture out like I should. But I do like having the option. I try to get out as much as possible, but when I want to hole up and have privacy, it's there waiting for me. In my 20s it would have been different. Late 30s...I like having my space.

International would be a whole different deal. But I do like traveling the US in comfort. Though in the right circumstance I'd throw it all away...

I can understand what people mean about living in an RV being a tame version of adventure. But for myself I can certainly say at 24 and 22 years old, my girlfriend and I have had quite an adventure in our travels so far. While all of our friends and family are back home in Florida going to the same job everyday and sitting around bored and safe, we experience new every single day. Maybe what makes it more adventurous for us is the lack of financial security most retirees have traveling in their $30,000+ rigs. We make our money on the road doing something we really enjoy going to thrift stores, antique stores, flea markets, and swap meets across America. There have been weeks we haven't made a dollar, and there have been times we have made $600+ in a weekend with good finds.

We have been snowed in on mountain tops (something pretty exciting/adventurous feelings for two born and raised Florida kids), I've been under my truck in 15 degree weather covered in antifreeze replacing a split radiator hose shaking like a wet dog, and just last week we had about 11 Buffalo in the middle of yellowstone surrounding our camper while we sat inside awestruck staring out.

I'll admit we are quite spoiled traveling in a fine working RV at our age when others are hitch hiking and sleeping in woods and on the dirt, but we are doing it the way we wanted to and created for ourselves. Sometimes that means sleeping with the generator running and ac blasting, and other times it means trying to fix something to make our rig road worthy again in near single digit weather.

Carrying everything you need to be fully self sufficient and making your money on the go is certainly an adventure for us. Especially being the only one that works on my rig and not having the finances or care to go pay a mechanic a ridiculous amount of money to do what I know I am perfectly capable of on my own.

When you think of living in a motor home as adventure living would you consider a bunch of retired women with grey hair who live in their RV's full time as being adventurers? That is one of the larger segments of the population who live and travel full time in RVs. It can be a pleasant life and it sure beats living in affordable senior housing as there is more variety in day to day life.

Whoa. Not only sexist, but ageist as well. Gray haired women can be and are adventurous people, Just like any other segment of the population.

I'm not yet retired, but I have plenty of gray hairs. I'm completely renovating an old Dolphin I just bought with the plan to live in it full time. Not just applying pretty curtains, but doing the building and repair work myself. Considering I won't have a 35' land yacht sitting in a cushy RV park, I would consider what I'm going to do an adventure. My situation is a bit different than the original poster in that I can work remotely from anywhere I choose (with internet access). So I am not going to stay stationary in one town.

My plan is to renovate the RV to be completely solar powered and to install a composting toilet so that I will have no propane to buy and no black tank to dump.

I'll give you a link to my blog when I've got the roof done and get started on the interior.

Anthony,

I just went thru your blogs. Thanks for all interesting info. You could make a very good EE or ME as well but nothing wrong pursuing your current major. You are living the dream. I wish I did what you are doing now when I first graduated from college. Good luck with everything and if you ever wander into Northern Calif. territories, give me a headup.

I can understand what people mean about living in an RV being a tame version of adventure. But for myself I can certainly say at 24 and 22 years old, my girlfriend and I have had quite an adventure in our travels so far. While all of our friends and family are back home in Florida going to the same job everyday and sitting around bored and safe, we experience new every single day. Maybe what makes it more adventurous for us is the lack of financial security most retirees have traveling in their $30,000+ rigs. We make our money on the road doing something we really enjoy going to thrift stores, antique stores, flea markets, and swap meets across America. There have been weeks we haven't made a dollar, and there have been times we have made $600+ in a weekend with good finds.

We have been snowed in on mountain tops (something pretty exciting/adventurous feelings for two born and raised Florida kids), I've been under my truck in 15 degree weather covered in antifreeze replacing a split radiator hose shaking like a wet dog, and just last week we had about 11 Buffalo in the middle of yellowstone surrounding our camper while we sat inside awestruck staring out.

I'll admit we are quite spoiled traveling in a fine working RV at our age when others are hitch hiking and sleeping in woods and on the dirt, but we are doing it the way we wanted to and created for ourselves. Sometimes that means sleeping with the generator running and ac blasting, and other times it means trying to fix something to make our rig road worthy again in near single digit weather.

Carrying everything you need to be fully self sufficient and making your money on the go is certainly an adventure for us. Especially being the only one that works on my rig and not having the finances or care to go pay a mechanic a ridiculous amount of money to do what I know I am perfectly capable of on my own.