RIP 1987 Dolphin

Plain Jane

if it's a 4 cylinder, there is no belt. it is chain driven, and if the chain broke there's carnage

The 22re is an interference engine BUT if the head has never been worked on,resurfaced, there is a chance the chain can break and not do major damage. You said it was noisy.  Might have been the plastic chain guides were worn. No way of knowing the damage without taking it apart

Linda S 

Its a 20 min job to pull the valve cover and see what is happening inside.

The timing chain can be changed without removing the head, done it before, but its a gamble, with all the opinions about interference/ non interference.

Removing the spark plugs and using a bore-scope would be useful

Edited by WME

Pop the distributor cap and watch the rotor as the engine turns over. If it spins around, the timing chain is still attached.

One of the indicators your coworker must/may have used was when the engine cranks with a broken chain/belt, it will turn over very fast.  Perhaps that's what he/she did, as Fred's comment would be the near absolute answer, versus "it spins fast".  My 22R is perhaps the fastest spinning engine I've ever owned on engine cranking speed.  So, perhaps your coworker would be willing to jump on here and tell us what they found?  Or give the specific answer to you.  The answer would be "What did you use to verify the bottom and top of the engine are NOT connected by the chain?  Specifically?"  Perhaps he put a dowel down a spark plug hole, looked through the oil filler to see the valvetrain, etc...

Linda, it's noisy in the way an old engine is noisy.

Doug, it's my coworker's husband, who was trained as a car mechanic, worked for some dealerships and now fixes his family's Toyotas. All he did, as explained above, was try to start the engine and recognize the sound it made as a timing belt problem that other Toyotas he had worked on had had. I watched him do it, and he did not have any tools with him.

So basically I followed jminshew's instructions but did not have to describe the sound - he was right there to hear it.

He's also a DIY'er like y'all and didn't charge me a dime to tell me this. Would it have been more authoritative if he had?

And finally, for the last time, the engine does. not. turn. over. So any solution that involves that will not help.

It won't turn over at all and he diagnosed a broken timing chain/belt? what did he grab the fan belt and spin it manualy or something? id try to jump throw a hot lead to the starter solenoid and see if it cranks. but dont run urself over!