Automatic Compressor For Airbags Or Airsprings

has anyone ever tied in a pre-set psi maintaining compressor into their airbag/airspring setup?

My new firestones have a tiny leak and I sure am sick of adding air.

then I remembered a Buick I used to have that auto filled itself each time the car was running...and thought why not?

If you contact Firestone and they are still under warranty they should replace the leaking one. Air Lift did that for me when one of my new ones leaked. Are you sure its the bag and not the valve or fitting or line?

im not sure; since mine fit through the frame it could be my installation fault. after all my propane tank leaks too. I don't have a good reputation with brass fittings. to me the automatic approach is better. tops itself off and also provides a secondary compressor function to provide air for inflating tires etc.

those two and a 'T" splitter on the air feed... replace stock switch with the 70-100 switch.. I like my bags all the way at 100. this would keep em there.

would also give me my own air station to top off the duallies.

I like my bags all the way at 100. this would keep em there.

would also give me my own air station to top off the duallies.

Unless I'm mistaken, this setup would allow your air spring(s) to drop to 70 psi before topping them up to 100.

I've no idea why, but the compressor says it's NOT recommended for tires.

I use a Viair 88P portable compressor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Air-Compressor-/301779841575?hash=item46437af227:g:guUAAOSwo6lWKkQL&item=301779841575&vxp=mtr. It's a great little compressor. I had one that was made by Slime first, but it quit working after about 6 uses, the last of which was outside the warranty period. I bypassed the failed switch to get a bit more life out of it, but luckily, I chose to buy the Viair to replace it. What a great little compressor - I often compare it to using a SnapOn wrench - you can just feel the quality.

My old air bags leaked from the day I bought the RV about a year ago. We didn't use it much until this past April, so it was no real hardship to pump them up each day before travel. However, once we started traveling a lot, it got old pretty quickly. The Viair made it bearable, but I was really glad when I replaced the old bags with Air Lift Ultimate 5000 bags. They don't leak and there's been a definite improvement in ride and stability.

Now I only use the compressor to top up one rear tire every 3 weeks or so after it loses about 5 lbs from a real slow leak. Sometimes I let air out of one bag or the other in order to get a bit more level. It only takes a few seconds to get the bag pressurized again in the AM.

One other thing to consider - if your propane leaks, possibly due to your installation, and your air bag leaks, also possibly due to your installation, it might behoove you to cure the problems rather than performing another potentially problematic installation that will just solve one of the symptoms. Just a thought....

The bag is leaking slow so it will hold air for weeks. Its just annoying to always have to check it and top it off. I can probably find it with a soap sprayer but I relish the idea of a onboard compressor to top off tires and yes Derek the compressor I showed is intended to run airbags and horns but PSI is PSI... and I would be changing its cut off to a much lower pressure state than stock; at 100 psi it would rate safe for filling tires just as a pancake compressor would.

Is it possible that max pressure is just too much for them. Air compressors are not very exact. Maybe 100 is just more than they can really hold. My older bags have a limit of 90 psi but I have never inflated them higher than 70. Very hard ride even at 70

Linda S

Not automatic, but manual from the cab. Controls each side separately. Wireless too so it works outside.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-compressors/air-lift-air-compressors/wireless-air-72000

Is it possible that max pressure is just too much for them. Air compressors are not very exact. Maybe 100 is just more than they can really hold. My older bags have a limit of 90 psi but I have never inflated them higher than 70. Very hard ride even at 70

Linda S

My airbags with 60# in them made the ride horrible jarring!...dropping it down to 35# made a huge difference.

the entire point of the bags is to restore arch to the springs, and add height so you don't bottom out and hit the bump stops, not act as shocks, which my bilsteins do quite well.

If you are getting excessive Jarring while aired up it is because your shocks are toast.

Also the lower psi you run the bags the more the sleeves contact themselves (rolled on itself) and the rubber actually eats itself away.

There is a reason they have a minimum psi value also; and that's what's more dangerous.

The compressor has a pressure cut out switch similar in nature to a well pump and you can get that switch in various psi settings to suit your fancy. to me It seems like it would be a great Mod.

shot or not shot, the real question is how under-engineered. your springs are NOT shocks. the term shock absorber means to absorb shock. the term spring means to return to position. the "jarring" is the impact felt from the lack of shock absorption; for those of you that bought KYB car shocks thinking they will hold up like bilsteins , that is.

Here are 2 reasons NOT to go with the auto compressor setup

1) more stuff to maintain

2) more weight added & more space used

If your rig is leaking down it could be the bags and/or it could be the lines. Either way easy to troubleshoot. inflate to max in a very quiet place then use a thick soapy water ...

I have a 91 Toyota Odyssey with dualies 6 nut upgraded axle. 6cyl Auto

I have a serious leak on the left side airbag.

Is it ok to replace one? And what are the specs so I can order it or tell

a mechanic.

thanks!

I guess to continue my opine i will counter that adding 20 spring might be good replacement solution for sag which the bags clear purpose is negating the usefullness of the comment, further that i could add several sets of leaf springs with no shocks and said argument holder would be ejected violently from the roof through the overhead bed and also through his solar panels.

I have a 91 Toyota Odyssey with dualies 6 nut upgraded axle. 6cyl Auto

I have a serious leak on the left side airbag.

Is it ok to replace one? And what are the specs so I can order it or tell

a mechanic.

thanks!

Ok so here is the deal, and this reply is to keep it real and offer police protection.

In my humble experience there are two kinds of airbags.. Those that are shot with fatal defect and those that are full of pin holes from riding around on low pressure. You can test my theory yourself air it up. Wont air up? Yeah get new... Slow leak? Pump some slime in em. Now before you go the the trouble of asking me how i know this i pumped my old ones up and sprayed red tire leak finder on my bad one some years ago. It would hold for 2-3 days at best. Spraying revealed super tiny, think arguing 20 leaf springs validity tiny, bubles where said rubber wore on itself . I slimed once a year and it would last weeks but eventually the crappy slime compressor tight wire hat trick had to be done which up north surely knows about. Long story shorter than the time your wife smacks you for hitting bump stops on deflated bags while shes doing her business i opted to replace. Guess the red spray will come out again.

If your rig is leaking down it could be the bags and/or it could be the lines. Either way easy to troubleshoot. inflate to max in a very quiet place then use a thick soapy water ...

Easily negated by saving cash on air and ability to air nail some <censored patriot> signs up at the campground slot. Thats the kind of weight that saves you in the desert smart man, come on.

Air spring pressures are all a matter of personal taste. How shot are your leaf springs? How 'stiff' a ride do you want? If you're not riding around on your bump stops without them then you might well be happier with less pressure.

Air spring pressures are all a matter of personal taste. How shot are your leaf springs? How 'stiff' a ride do you want? If you're not riding around on your bump stops without them then you might well be happier with less pressure.

and the guy behind you might not appreciate your exploding black tank when you are driving through detroit, toronto, san fransico or nyc. My rig has high pressure because i still hit motown sometimes where potholes are deeper than a presidents pool.

I installed a Viar compressor with 1 gallon holding tank. The tank had a 70-90 pressure switch. The compressor turned on at 70 and off at 90 psi. I did not like the way the RV rolled from side to side with the two air springs connected together so I added check valves to each feed line. This helped the sway. I also included a pressure regulator to the system so that I could maintain 70 psi no matter if the tank had 70 or90 psi in it.

This sytem in theory should be about ideal. Turn on the engine, wait for the system to fully pressurize, never have to think about it. It stayed in the RV for a couple of months and then came out and sits in my garage because it took up too much valuable storage space. I lost enough room to store my lantern, coleman fuel, and hydraulic jack. I hated the lost storage. The worst part of the system was if the compressor came on in the bay right behind my seat and it scared the hell out of me.