Radiator Drain Petcock - Stuck?

shibs

The eagle has landed, I drove home the Sunrader today, it started after a few cranks after sitting for many months.

I see the radiator petcock on the pass side bottom towards the firewall of the radiator (next to the atf line)

Is there a trick to open it?

Is it made of plastic?

should I try turning it with a plier lined with tape, very slowly?

I can't seem to open it.

I had to use a pliers to open mine when I bought the RV. when you close it, it has to be snug, not tight. After you refill with antifreeze, drive for a while and check it for leaks. It is just a plastic plug so don't overdo it.

You might try warming it up gently with a heat gun (not a propane torch) Just heat up the lower end of the radiator and maybe it will come loose.

Make sure that you turn it the right way.

I looked at it and then I stared at it for few minutes and it reminded me how a 10 min project turned out to be a 5 hour deal and mucho mulas few times before. So I decided that pulling out the bottom rad hose will be MUCH safer option, :-)

I have the worst luck with these stuff.

Now would be a good time to change all of the hoses if you have not done that lately.

Please use something to absorb the coolant from the street.. Engine coolant is DEADLY TO ALL PETS, and their death is not instant.

They suffer terribly before they die................ donnie

mine turns in the normal direction (leftie loosie, righty tighty) They are available for a reasonable sum at most auto part stores (there is a rubber seal that goes bad).

I would not spray any solvents on it - plastic does not like solvents. You should be able to open it with hand pressure only.

mine turns in the normal direction (leftie loosie, righty tighty) They are available for a reasonable sum at most auto part stores (there is a rubber seal that goes bad).

I would not spray any solvents on it - plastic does not like solvents. You should be able to open it with hand pressure only.

Wd40 is a multi-use lubricant. It will not hurt plastic automotive parts. It's safe to use on most any surface (except some polycarbonates).

It does a great job removing brake dust from alloy wheels.