1979 Ford Courier. Do We Belong To The Community? :)

Courier

Hi. I have 2.3L engine. Even the truck called in papers Ford Courier I believe it was assembled in Japan and probably has Toyota chassis... Someone mentioned Courier is Mazda chassis... . I am confused :) Fiberglass cab though. Picture attached.

post-8242-0-25660300-1431451088_thumb.jp

Edited by Courier

Yes your Courier was made by Mazda. Very nice looking Galavan camper on it. Of course you can stay on this website. I don't think your going to have any luck finding a Mazda motorhome site and lots of the stuff we discuss would apply to your cute little camper too. I bet lots of the guys here know a bit about Mazda/Ford mechanicals too

Linda S

Hi. I have "Toyota" and "Made in Japan" plates under hood near 2.3L engine. Even the truck called in papers Ford Courier I believe it was assembled in Japan and probably has Toyota chassis... Someone mentioned Courier is Mazda chassis... . I am confused :) Fiberglass cab though. Picture attached.

I drove a four-cylinder Ford Courier since it was new as a John Deere service-vehicle. A 100% Mazda-made truck and probably the most rugged mini-truck I've ever driven. It held up MUCH better then the other service vehicle I drove - an International Harvester Scout.

I have a 82 b2200 sundowner 4 cyl diesel as my daily driver. Same truck different badges, I love that truck ! So cool to see it with a camper on it !

Post more pics !! - Welcome !

Thank you for warm welcome. I will take more pictures and share here soon. It has only 42,000 km original on it and this is smallest truck I have ever driven :) But this small feels really sturdy indeed. Feels like flying a small Sesna plane :) Now after falling in first sight love to cuteness of this motorhome we have found that there is not much room for storage as we used to drive big new SUVs and trucks :) First motorhome to us, did I tell you? We are a little anxious driving this "plane from 70th" first. Going to Kootenay BC this long weekend for camping.

Thank you, Milt.

It has Mazda chassis. According to Wikipedia

...manufactured by Mazda. It had greater fuel economy than the full-size pickups of the time. The Courier was manufactured by Toyo Kogyo (Mazda), and imported and sold by Ford Motor Company as a response to the unforeseen popularity of the small Toyota and Nissan/Datsun pickups among young buyers in the West

See picture from under hood attached.

post-8242-0-35864400-1431542555_thumb.jp

That's the first model I've seen with a side door. Didn't know they made one.

Definitely a rare model.

Does it have a "Champion" name badge on the coach?

Should be behind the drivers seatbelt return. Often hidden by the seatbelt itself.

I'm thinking this is a different mfg. Champion only built on Toyota and Datsun chassis's.

Linda,

That's one cool rig.

How many are left?

In 11 years of following these little motorhomes this one makes 3 but I think it might actually be the same one as in the pic I posted. Can't be more than one of them that clean. Guy who posted it on the Toyota campers site didn't own it. He just snapped some pics of it when he was camping

Linda

back in the day the ford sponsored Mazda Courier and some other ones the chevy LUV sponsored by general motors where nicknamed Captive imports.

back in the day the ford sponsored Mazda Courier and some other ones the chevy LUV sponsored by general motors where nicknamed Captive imports.

US auto makers were just getting smart and buying up interest in foreign car/truck companies. Ford has had a relationship with Mazda for a long time. Dodge (when it was a USA company) did it with Mitsubishi. GM did it with Isuzu and Daewoo. Chevy LUV was just a rebadged Isuzu PUP. The big Duramax diesel is bascally an Isuzu design. I still have my 1985 4WD diesel PUP.

post-6578-0-85984000-1431616113_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-22926800-1431616115_thumb.jp

Your battery isolator is the gold colored item on the driver's side with three terminals on it. The wires from the isolator should go to both batteries and to the alternator. The coach battery will have a heavy wire that leads from the battery to a circuit breaker to the coach. The starter battery will have a heavy wire leading to the starter relay or solenoid. I also see that the passenger side battery has a factory battery holder on it so that is probably the starter battery.

You could also cheat and disconnect the negative terminal on the driver's side battery, If the truck will start, the battery that you disconnected will be the coach battery.

Stick built?

"Stick-built" as opposed to factory-built-modular. I.e. stud/frame construction done on site - not in a factory.

Thank you, Milt.

It has Mazda chassis. According to Wikipedia
See picture from under hood attached.

Having that 3.64 to 1 rear-axle ratio is kind-of neat. Not something a Toyota would get away with very well. The Mazda manual transmission has a much lower first gear then what Toyota used. So - you get good starting power in 1st gear and what is the eqivalent of overdrive when in 4th (as compared to a Toyota with a manual trans).

Two furnaces in my new 1979 motorhome. One looks conventional: post-8242-0-92541100-1431674206_thumb.jp Second probably installed later: post-8242-0-18187500-1431674144_thumb.jp. What sense to have two? I did not have chance to test it yet... Anyway, why previous owner would add that Coleman For Use With LP Gas?

Edited by Courier

Two furnaces in my new 1979 motorhome. One looks conventional: attachicon.gifGas-Electric-Furnace-1.jpg Second probably installed later: attachicon.gif20150514_221101.jpg. What sense to have two? I did not have chance to test it yet... Anyway, why previous owner would add that Coleman For Use With LP Gas?

Factory installed furnaces were propane and vented. Many people add unvented propane units - especially if the OEM furnace isn't working anymore. My preference is to fix the original or replace with an original-type furnace with hard-venting and forced-air. The add-on unvented furnaces gain you nothing in the long term. Can't use without a window open and they usually don't put out anywhere near the heat needed for an RV in real cold temps. The unvented units don't require any electric but the OEM furnaces that do, use very little. Not a issue as I see it.