Cute 17'-18' Sunrader - But No Test Drive Allowed?

zero

I don't see many Toyota RVs come up for sale here in northern Michigan. Just saw this. Lousy photos and seems odd that "no test drive" allowed.

I've always wanted an older and shorty Sunrader. I emailed the seller a low offer with contingencies. Probably never hear back. For I know it may even be a scam - but if it is - not written in a very "inviting" way.

post-6578-0-49264000-1418566834_thumb.jp

It doesn't need to be registered to drive in Michigan. No plates and no insurance needed to drive. You just have to have the title in hand and say you just bought it.

I offered the seller $2400 and he did not accept my offer. Here's his reply. Might be a good deal for someone. Too far for me to drive without having more details and a somewhat lower price-tag. 500 mile round-trip.

" The rust is minor the engines average several hundred thousand miles the price is firm "

It doesn't need to be registered to drive in Michigan. No plates and no insurance needed to drive. You just have to have the title in hand and say you just bought it.

I offered the seller $2400 and he did not accept my offer. Here's his reply. Might be a good deal for someone. Too far for me to drive without having more details and a somewhat lower price-tag. 500 mile round-trip.

" The rust is minor the engines average several hundred thousand miles the price is firm "

not quite.. unless you want to commit felony falsification. Your title better have today's date on it if pulled over and you MUST have Proof of insurance in michigan regardless of when you purchased it; this is why he wont allow test drive; its not insured and unless you buy it from him he is on the hook to the liability of no faulty to the state.

so I emailed the guy asking where the camper is located and I was interested in seeing it.

here is the response:

"Thank you for your interest,if you have cash in hand i can meet you at the bank of america on 68th and division as i am only showing to serious buyers ready for purchase ..If so please email your number and i will call you back.Thanks in advance"

no test drives but he will meet me at the bank, hmm, I think I will email him asking if I can bring $3500 in coins.

Step 1. contact friends with CWPs and get them to come, preferably active or ex police.

Step 2. set up meeting

Step 3. get Go Pro mounted in rose in lapel.

Step 4. go to the meet and record

Step 5. Sell to the news.

so I emailed the guy asking where the camper is located and I was interested in seeing it.

here is the response:

"Thank you for your interest,if you have cash in hand i can meet you at the bank of america on 68th and division as i am only showing to serious buyers ready for purchase ..If so please email your number and i will call you back.Thanks in advance"

no test drives but he will meet me at the bank, hmm, I think I will email him asking if I can bring $3500 in coins.

I did not get a "warm and friendly" feeling when he emailed me. I don't need nor want another Toyota RV bad enough to deal with someone like that.

Step 1. contact friends with CWPs and get them to come, preferably active or ex police.

Step 2. set up meeting

Step 3. get Go Pro mounted in rose in lapel.

Step 4. go to the meet and record

Step 5. Sell to the news.

I am trained in handling of deadly weapons (changing really stinky diapers :-),

In all seriousness, I have a Concealed carry permit, in this case I might have to carry my 40 cal with extra mags, heck, I will pack my 10 mm glock.

I think I will stay home and drink my Darjeeling tea and laugh at this scam-ster.

I sent him couple of emails let's see what he comes up with now.

Well we could always flag the ad. If he sounds this fishy it might save someone from a rip off. Even if the sale is real since he feels the need to make it so difficult for possible buyers, we could make it difficult right back at him.

Linda S

LOL me too shibs, but my permit expired recently (diaper permit) as my girls are 4 and 6 now... My CPL is still in full force as is my natural inclination to have those that would perpetrate armed robbery from psuedo add victims in craigslist arrested.

Someone needs to get this guy into custody before he harms someone.

Well we could always flag the ad. If he sounds this fishy it might save someone from a rip off. Even if the sale is real since he feels the need to make it so difficult for possible buyers, we could make it difficult right back at him.

Linda S

flagging the add wont catch the perp. we have an opportunity here to at least report to police.

People flagging things on Craigslist has gotten out of hand. Unless you know for sure that an ad is a scam- I think people should NOT flag. It just causes mayhem.

If you don't like an ad - just ignore it. Easy to do. Does anyone here know for sure that RV ad is a scam? I don't.

I've been selling a lot of stuff on Craigslist since two years ago. Over 200 items. At one point ALL my ads were getting deleted right after I'd posted them and NONE were scams. Why? I'll never know for sure but it seems some guy got angry over an old Massey Ferguson tractor I had for sale. His beef was - "hey . just junk the damn thing - it's junk and nobody wants it." Hmm. He was entitled to feel that way but plenty of other people did not feel the same. He kept flagging me. Then - after a seller gets flagged X amount of times - all the ads he/she posts get flagged by robots. I later sold that MF tractor for $1200 so it seems somebody wanted it indeed.

When I had my problem and contacted Craigslist - they steering me over to the "help" forum for people who were getting flagged. I've never met such a bunch of nasty. arrogant people with no lives. They live to determine which ads are not written up to their own standards and gang up on people. They flag if they simply do not like an item, or feel the price is too high, etc. What a bunch of A-h*les.

I finally just got a new user-name and opened up a new CraigsList account and have not been flagged since. The robots do not know me by my new name.

Got stuff on there right now.

Shibs asked to see the rig, and instead was instructed to meet at a bank with cash in hand...

seems very alarming and presumptuous. since its not a request for a wire transfer the only belief left one would expect a robbery; or at least mention of whether or not the rig could be seen at all, which it is not.

Its funny, I have sold some things on ebay but never craigs although i have tried; and i have never seen more attempted scams in my life - on things I was trying to sell.

I have bought things with never an issue... the only fake listing i ever encountered was for a Toy home; a sea breeze - the infamous one.

I did have a gang of neredowellers shill bid an ebay auction of mine once on an outboard motor all the while making fun of it in a boating forum... one that I was a member of. It was easy to forward the site page to the good folks at ebay and get a new account and auction fees refunded. They bid my outboard (a crappy force) up to $200,000 or so i think if memory serves... (not very nice).

I sent few emails, he won't even tell me the vin #.

what a dumb...

I live in a very little town where the cops will put the Chicago Mafia to shame, I am tempted to give them print out of my email, you know they can track you down from your home internet....

I stopped selling in craigslist since the CL murder. I used to give away my empty boxes, stuff, toys etc but now I just drive it to goodwill and dump it there.

Last thing I sold on craigs as window regulators for mazda convertible and they fetched $424, the guy send me a check I cashed it and send him the items. Talk about trust, he was the city prosecutor a little town (famous town) next to Phoenix, back then :-),

Lol, my diaper duty is nearly done, but I am thinking of adopting a few more of these little trouble makers :-)

Don't get me started on the CL flagging, I figured out their algorithm, it is a shame that there are so many scam-sters on craigslist.

I don't deal with anyone who is NOT willing to provide an address and a phone # first,

Last thing I sold on craigs as window regulators for mazda convertible and they fetched $424, the guy send me a check I cashed it and send him the items. Talk about trust, he was the city prosecutor a little town (famous town) next to Phoenix, back then :-),

The concept of "trust" and a man's word being worth something is not quite dead yet (or a woman's word).

I sold my diesel plow truck on Craigslist two days ago. Note the truck is 800 miles from me in NY. I'm in Michigan. The truck got snowed in and told him I was going to cancel the ad until spring. He really wanted it though.He had not even seen the truck in person yet. The buyer wanted to send me a check and I refused. I told him postal money order was the only thing I'd accept. I agreed to send him a detailed receipt upon getting the payment. It came in the mail today. We do not know each other but - he does know I really exist because he's read several articles I've written on older diesel engines. I still try to trust people and often get screwed. But I don't want to get to the point where I refuse to trust anybody. I was pleasantly surprised on this forum recently when I sent someone I did not know an ECM for their Toyota. All went well which was nice. It gives me hope for man-kind.

I have sold many things on CraigsList. I demand cash and I meet the buyer at a public location for the exchange. I live in the woods and I don't want anyone seeing what is in my garage because I don't want to have to clean my firearms after shooting the bums. I have never had a problem with people meeting me in public for a transaction.

The concept of "trust" and a man's word being worth something is not quite dead yet (or a woman's word).

I sold my diesel plow truck on Craigslist two days ago. Note the truck is 800 miles from me in NY. I'm in Michigan. The truck got snowed in and told him I was going to cancel the ad until spring. He really wanted it though.He had not even seen the truck in person yet. The buyer wanted to send me a check and I refused. I told him postal money order was the only thing I'd accept. I agreed to send him a detailed receipt upon getting the payment. It came in the mail today. We do not know each other but - he does know I really exist because he's read several articles I've written on older diesel engines. I still try to trust people and often get screwed. But I don't want to get to the point where I refuse to trust anybody. I was pleasantly surprised on this forum recently when I sent someone I did not know an ECM for their Toyota. All went well which was nice. It gives me hope for man-kind.

JDE,

Please don't lose trust everyone, just because of a couple bad folks out there. Kharma (or God) will make sure that the dishonest people get a taste of their own medicine and bless those who do strive to do the right thing. Oh, by the way, the ECM that you sold me, is still working great! Thanks again for simply mailing it to me and (trusting) accepting my personal checks as payment.

~Riverman77

I can certainly appreciate not having someone meet you at your domicile, but selling a vehicle without a demo is silly.

I sold a toyota celica recently, the buyer met me at a golf course down the street from my house. It was easy and safe, I had my concealed in case, asked for cash but told buyer that they could test/drive it as much as they wanted and check anything. At the very least a VIN lets the perspective buy know a carfax history... nope I call shinanagans. Lets just pretend its legit; this guy has made sure you are showing up with money but has ventured NOTHING and wont have the vehicle on site even?

Even if we pretend to believe his story the didactic logic points foul; For someone to be that suspicious and only cover their wants but screw the buyer already tells of low integrity, they obviously are fearful of something and hiding. There is no proof they even have the vehicle. No good faith at all.

JDE,

Please don't lose trust everyone, just because of a couple bad folks out there. Kharma (or God) will make sure that the dishonest people get a taste of their own medicine and bless those who do strive to do the right thing. Oh, by the way, the ECM that you sold me, is still working great! Thanks again for simply mailing it to me and (trusting) accepting my personal checks as payment.

~Riverman77

Amen to that,

I am a sub-mod on a popular firearms forum and I bought a few items ranging from 50$ to 100$, but I was not able to send out the payment promptly, the items appeared at my door step even before I had a chance to go to the post office to buy the MO. Quite embarrassing but there are still honest people out there!

This was a week after I dropped my $700 pda phone in the snow in the airport, drove back after an hour and went to the airport police and found a police man holding my phone, someone had found and returned it to the police.

When I bought my 83 Toyota 4x4, I drove to the town it was in to see it. About 2 hours from where I lived. Took it for a test drive. Called later to say I'd take it.

I could make it back over there to pick it up a week later. He said he'd be out of town, but the keys will be in it, just leave the money in an envelope in the glove box of the Chevy.

So I drove up to his house (out in the mountains), grabbed the truck and put the money in the other truck.

That was a craigslist deal.

the scamster insists that 87777 is the vin#

so here is the update, if you not wearing you trusty adult diapers, I strongly suggest you wear some or at min put a towel...

My concern to scamster:

> looks like your vin has been altered, you might want to contact the police and/or the FBI, altering a vin is a federal offense.might want to update your ad too.

His response (spelling is not his/her forte):

Why you would suggest such a obsurd thing is beyond comprehension .This vehical has been in my possession titled and insured for nearly a decade .Unless you have some proof that three other government agencys could not discover id suggest you tread litely from this point on.

the scamster insists that 87777 is the vin#

He;s only missing three digits for a 1979 VIN. Does he claim to have a title and if so, what is the VIN on that? I've met people who don't even know what a VIN is, so who knows what he, she, or it is talking about. Here are a few of mine.

1977 Toyota Chinook VIN RN28066939

1978 Toyota Chinook VIN RN28106873

1988 Blazer: VIN 1GNEV18C3JF195366

1986 Blazer VIN 1G8EK18C0GF193837

1988 Toyota Minicruiser VIN: JT5RN75U2H0015460

1991 VW Jetta diesel VIN WVWRG21G6MW482437

1992 Dodge diesel truck VIN 3B7KM23C2NM543708

1995 Geo Tracker VIN 2CNBJ1866S6947540

1994 Ford F250 diesel VIN 1FTHX26K6RKA09628

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD VIN 1B4GT54L6WB522746

2002 Toyota Echo VIN JTDAT123520247820

2001 Chevy Tracker VIN 2CNBJ634116940688

1972 MGB VIN CGHN5UC277366G

1980 Datsun 280ZX VIN HGS130153362

1981 Chevrolet Chevette diesel VIN 1G1AB68D8BY241249

1982 Chevrolet K10 diesel truck VIN 2GCEK14C2C1135404

1983 Chevrolet K5 diesel Blazer VIN 1G8EK18C2DF103129

1985 Isuzu PUP truck diesel VIN JAABR14S6F0727370

he seems very paranoid; and unwilling to provide any satisfaction to a potential buyer. I do however get the feeling now that maybe he is not a scammer simply because of the comment to tread lightly. in my experience scammers usually go dead cold silent after they are made; and he seems to just be a curmudgeon that is afraid of society but expects society to trust him. These sort of types of personality are usually not good people to purchase things from.......

I had a similar experience with a guy selling a Sunrader in Cooperstown New York. I would of bought the damn thing if he'd been willing to be a little forth-coming with info and actually meet me on time. I actually got to see that one. But we got into a shouting-match on the phone. He told me he was tired of giving out info since there were too many ":tire kickers" responding to his ad. I told him he was an a*shole and any potential deal ended at that point. Too bad. It was kind of nice Sunrader and priced around $2800 as I recall. I had already driven 40 miles to meet with the guy and look at it. He was a "no show" and me and my family stood in the rain for an hour waiting for the guy. The next day he called me and said he didn't think meeting me on time was a priority since so many others had called and were no-shows. That's when things got heated and I cursed the guy out. Basically I "cut my nose to spite my face."

post-6578-0-80814800-1419002114_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-37097700-1419002116_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-69010400-1419002117_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-68679400-1419002118_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-72663100-1419002119_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-25638600-1419002121_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-78434500-1419002122_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-70904100-1419002123_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-70301500-1419002125_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-73874400-1419002126_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

This fellow is back on craigslist. I spoke with him when he last posted and had even set a time to meet (yes, in a bank parking lot). Then, later in he sent me a text that the sunrader was no longer for sale, his wife didn't want to sell it.

I only live 25 miles away, but have since purchased an 85 Dolphin.

Because there have been some issues with bad characters on craigslist some of the local police stations are allowing their lobbies and parking lots to be used for a safe meeting place for transactions. Now that is public service! Smile you are on cameras!