How Loud Is Your Toy?

Toobigboat2014

OMG took my toy to Vegas last weekend. The interior was so loud when we were on the freeway going 65

It's live everything rattle. I can even hear the wind blowing over the cabin. Not so aero dynamic.

Things I'm consider getting rid of to reduce noise:

All the blinds and replacing them with black out curtains

My freaking screen door. That rattle like no tomo.

Completely removing all four of the sky light except the one in the bath room.

Maybe the roof top ac and replacing it with one of those portable ones where u just need an air vent to release the heat.

Anyone two cent?

Removal of anything attached to the roof could be a huge mistake. The potential for future leaks would be almost guaranteed. Not to mention how it could affect the resale value.

I had a lot of wind noise from the door gaskets. As a temporary fix, I put the thinnest foam weather strip I could find on the cab frame to close up the gaps due to worn out weather strip. I plan on installing new weather stripping in the near future.

The other option would be to put in a really good sound system and crank it up.

Yes they are noisy every thing rattles weather stripping on the screen doors and the entrance door helps. The stove rattles the windows rattle it's just the way they are they are small and confined unlike a big one to deaden some the the sound. At least you are not likely to fall asleep while driving!

ANY motor home is noisy!!! Your moving a house through the air at 60mph.

answers.

Replace/add weather striping to the screen door and the main door.

Make sure the anti rattle clips are installed on the stove. Some folks just lay a towel over the stove when traveling.

Install vent covers over the roof vents, these will let you open the vents when your traveling and cut down on A/C use and increase the MPG and reduce the noise.

Have the wife move around the unit when your driving and see what else is rattling, again a small piece of weather strip does wonders.

Get some of the anti slip drawer liner and place it between all the pots and pans

SLOW DOWN and learn to enjoy "travel at the speed of smell" your nerves will be calmer if you just don't hurry and try to travel the blue roads instead of the Hwys. Your MPG will better too.

In my 1989 Warrior I also had major issues with rattles and wind noise, I did the following which made a HUGE difference.

1. Wind Noise - Added weather stripping to the house door and added a vent cover.

2. Rattles - Installed new shocks and airbags. Now my Motorhome no longer hits the bump stops and it's a much smoother quieter ride.

When I first got my camper the noise bothered me too. I used to wrap the oven shelves in towels and anything else I could find. Haven't done it in years and I don't even notice the noise anymore. You learn to not hear it. Like people in big cities who aren't bothered by the traffic noise.

Linda S

I had some leaking windows, ended up pulling everything out of every body orifice and resealing with modern flexible butyl tape. Tightened or replaced cabinet door keepers, felt between the doors and frames. Stove top put rubber around the edges. About the only things that now make noise are pots & pans on a big speed bump. What I still have trouble with is fan belt screech on harsh downshifts, new Gates belts, proper tension, and finally new pulley bearings and it still does it. Otherwise very quiet. Vehicle noises are always a pain to track down, I end up "fixing things" that were not the noise. I think "crank up the stereo" is a great idea.

The stove burners on mine are glued down with a tiny bit of JB Weld, and a couple of screws hold down the part they rest on. No noise there. The door is noisy.

When we travel, we drape a sleeping bag from the overhead bunk to isolate us from the coach section. This eliminates a lot of noise. Of course, in town we remove the sleeping bag so we can see out the back window. Otherwise the side view mirrors are fine for highways.

I've also driven with ear plugs.

Yes, rvs are noisy on the road, but rattles can be fixed.

Toobigboat2014,

My '85 Dolphin's noisy, too but after almost 20 years with the thing, I don't really notice it much anymore. One thing I do is to lift up the top of the stove, and set it on the carpeted floor. Eliminates a lot of the noise. Also, driving 65 is noisy, slow down and enjoy the ride...

John

Hi
drove my toy today as for noise mine seems quiet to everyone who has posted. main noise is from engine probably because i did air silencer delete. noise is not excessive just enough to allow me to adjust speed to suit road im driving on and auto gear changes. this will allow me to climb a 1 in 20 hill at 50mph without excessive noise and light throttle loading. wind noise is from a 40mph cross wind. toy not very twitchy.