First of all, I wish to express appreciation for the people in this forum who are assisting me with the recent problem regarding the effects of high elevation travel on our minni-winnie. I have also been seeing the check engine light going on and off intermittently (since leaving PA on Monday). I am suspecting that this could be a fuel filter issue since I notice by taking my foot off the gas and back on the pedal it seems to cause the light to go off. I changed all other filters and had my mechanic do an inspection before leaving but he did not change the fuel. The engine is performing flawlessly so I am hoping to just get the filter changed when I can get it.

Where is the filter located?

Try resetting your computer. It could be a stored recurring code that's making the light go on/off.

Check to see what code is coming up. This will probably head you in the right direction.

Most likely your O2 sensor is marginal and may go bad.

Watch your MPG carefully. If it drops about 20% then probably the O2 sensor.

About as easy to change out as a spark plug.

Also, make sure your gas cap is tight. Check the O-ring on the fuel cap for damage. Or just buy a new fuel cap if it is old. Keep the old one as a spare in case of loss.

V6 Mini Wini has the fuel filter on the frame under the passenger side door.

symptom also of dying alternator... volt check your posts while running and rev the throttle; voltage should increase with throttle and be 13+ if drops below 12.5 it will throw the check engine and or brake lights; so a frazzling alternator/regulator will do this also

X2 on the O2 sensor often climbing hills will cause it to go on and coming down it will go off. You will most likely not see a drop in performance.

Maineah that is whats happing on myn it is a 22re auto thanks for the tips

You can buy a Bosch universal one for about half the price of the exact fit all you have to do is cut the connector off and use a stake on.

My vehicle is an 86 -22 rec fuel injected 4 speed automatic. Thanks for the suggestions. Do most mechanics have method to read the message or should I just go to a Toyota dealer to check message.

I have just driven from NEPA Pennsylvania to where I am now in Rawlins, Wyoming. The vehicle is running very well but gas mile has varied a bit from as high as 16.7 to 10-14 mpg. As I noted earlier I lost the overdrive while going through South Dakota.

on the 86 mine is 86 chassis also the senser is screwed into the ext manifold abouve the ext pipe con should be one wire type

My vehicle is an 86 -22 rec fuel injected 4 speed automatic. Thanks for the suggestions. Do most mechanics have method to read the message or should I just go to a Toyota dealer to check message.

I have just driven from NEPA Pennsylvania to where I am now in Rawlins, Wyoming. The vehicle is running very well but gas mile has varied a bit from as high as 16.7 to 10-14 mpg. As I noted earlier I lost the overdrive while going through South Dakota.

If you have a volt meter you can check it or you can force the ECU to produce a code (jumper TE1 and E1 in the connector under the hood) I don't remember the code numbers but I'm sure you can find it on line. With a volt meter connect one lead to ground the other to the pig tail of the O2 sensor and watch the meter at idle. The voltage should be very active between .0 volts and 1 volt it should jump around a lot if it's lazy or does nothing it's toes up.

Did you know that there is an altitude sensor on the MH's with auto trans? My auto tran would not go into overdrive whgen I got to about Chamberlain on I90. I think my GPS said that I was about 3800 ft above sea level. When I got back below 3800 ft it started working again. It is built to lock out OD due to lost engine power.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an intermittent code - read mine with the jumper (V6) - finally threw an o2 sensor at it -- if I had to do it again I would have tried that sooner (Code indicated a list of possibilities).

O2 sensors do wear out -- 50k or so miles on some vehicles. When i replaced mine I was right at 50k

• 1 month later...

OBDI is not perfectly standardized. Neither is OBDII but that's another issue. Best thing is to get a import-car OBDI scanner like the "Import Scanner" that iequui sells. Part # 3173.

Here's a link to the users manual that will tell you all you need.

I have an OBD1 scanner for my 94 Ford diesel truck and it does not work on a 94 Toyota. Scanner # 3173 works on Toyota trucks with 2.4s from 83 to 94.

http://www.iequus.com/Content/Support/Manual/3173_ICCR_E_14JAN03.pdf

Do the standard ODB1 readers work on Toyotas? Or is there a special code reader? If so, where can I get one?

I don't think any of our motorhomes have a plug for an OBD scanner. You have to jump a connector in the engine compartment and then just count the flashes on the dash. On my 86 there are 2 yellow plugs on the drivers side fender wall. It's one of those, don't remember which one. Here i found instructions and the codes you need to know

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/

Linda S

Couldn't this also be from a bad/loose alternator belt? If its slipping the check light will sometimes come on.

Nope that will light the brake light. No the OBDII did not start until 1996. The code reader is built in it flashes a digital code with the check engine light you have to jumper TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic connector under the hood then turn the key on (don't start it) the codes are published on any number of web sites.

OBDI is not perfectly standardized. Neither is OBDII but that's another issue. Best thing is to get a import-car OBDI scanner like the "Import Scanner" that iequui sells. Part # 3173.

Here's a link to the users manual that will tell you all you need.

I have an OBD1 scanner for my 94 Ford diesel truck and it does not work on a 94 Toyota. Scanner # 3173 works on Toyota trucks with 2.4s from 83 to 94.

http://www.iequus.com/Content/Support/Manual/3173_ICCR_E_14JAN03.pdf

I figured there would be one out there. I used to have one for my old Ford-driven MH and it came in handy. I usually take a quick look at the scanner display when I'm in an auto parts store but hardly anyone carries OBD1 units anymore, let alone for imports.

I don't think any of our motorhomes have a plug for an OBD scanner. You have to jump a connector in the engine compartment and then just count the flashes on the dash. On my 86 there are 2 yellow plugs on the drivers side fender wall. It's one of those, don't remember which one. Here i found instructions and the codes you need to know

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/

Linda S

Yeah, I haven't even looked for a connector yet. I'm kind of surprised it wouldn't be in the usual place by the battery. But Toyota does what Toyota does. Who am I to question? :D

Nope that will light the brake light. No the OBDII did not start until 1996. The code reader is built in it flashes a digital code with the check engine light you have to jumper TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic connector under the hood then turn the key on (don't start it) the codes are published on any number of web sites.

That's right, I remember now. Had a belt give up the ghost on me during the winter. Good thing it was only a mile from home. She was running pretty hot when I got her back to the house.

I knew it was one of those pesky warning lights. I try to pretend they aren't there! La-la-la-la! BOOM!

Anyway, I remember using a jumper on my Ford so I'm familiar with the process somewhat. Does it do something like flash a sequence of lights to tell you the code? My Ford would flash the CHK eng. light say 3 times, pause, 4 times, pause, 1 time. That would signify code #341.

Oh and do you have to go through the whole rigmarole with a timing light and warming the engine in a certain amount of steps? That was the biggest pain about scanning the Ford. Took like 30 minutes just to get her prepped to get an accurate scan.