No More Bathroom Carpet!

LotsaKidz

We are replacing the toilet, so I am doubly aware of the carpet which covers - I don't even know what - behind it. Carpet in a bathroom is a nasty thought I cannot allow my mind to dwell on, and I'd like to replace it before we put the new toilet in.

I'm sure someone here has addressed a similar situation and I am hoping to glean from the collective ideas of a forum like this. What would you cover the place behind the toilet with so that it won't absorb - ahem - things?

I do realize that not everyone has the same floor plan and may not have that particular area in their coach. My bathroom sits just behind the driver's seat with a shower directly behind the driver and the toilet to its left.

post-7027-0-32674300-1367497531_thumb.jp

If the area behind is metal or fiberglass I'd remove the rug. Sand and fill any holes, then paint with something like rustolium in a color that matches the surrounding area.

I'd go with Freds ideas. If its wood some primer and child proof paint would work.

:sick: Thinking about removing the carpet gives me the willys

The area behind it isn't solid. It feels like pipes and wires, but I only felt it with my foot...didn't want to touch it with my hands. I think something (besides carpet!) will have to be placed over those, like maybe building some kind of box to cover them or ??? Any idea what might be under there?

The area behind it isn't solid. It feels like pipes and wires, but I only felt it with my foot...didn't want to touch it with my hands. I think something (besides carpet!) will have to be placed over those, like maybe building some kind of box to cover them or ??? Any idea what might be under there?

I would rather see pipes than carpet there. If there are wires you can attach them to the wall with some white tape to protect them. Rip that stuff out and post another pic and maybe someone can figure out some way to make it look better. Wear gloves

carpet in bathroom bad stupid tore myn out glued down vinal flooring looks great now. i would box it in many water proof things to cover it with .i only have a vent pipe going to wrap with vinal. WHEN your done you will enjoy. BETTER VINEL then any carpet .I DONT KNOW WHAT PEOPLE WHER E THINKING USING THAT

Get some disposable vinyl gloves and pull the carpet out. You have to know what's under there before you go any further. If its just plumbing you can leave it exposed for easy access or, as other have said, cover it back up with a box and paint it a nice gloss white. Or you could buy some shower wall liner stuff from Home Depot and make the box out of that. Post some photos after you pull the carpet. Someone may have a better idea then.

John

Well, I did it. Discovered what is in the picture. Also learned more about the covered "City Water Connection" hookup; it was covered and caulked shut, but I don't know why. Did they damage something with water pressure? Who knows. My question is: can I restore it inexpensively, and how? While it's all pulled out is the best time to try, and I'm praying someone here can guide me.

I opened all the closets and compartments and attempted to follow the trail, but some of it is beyond me. There appears to be some kind of drain you pull then it drips water. Some odd elbow connections around the hot water heater. I am attaching them in hopes that someone can make sense of it and advise.

I can easily see how to hide the black pipe (spray paint will work well!), so my initial question is answered - thank you to all who encouraged me to go for it. Maybe I can restore the plumbing and be able to use the water hookup again!

post-7027-0-45650100-1367605570_thumb.jp

The first picture is what I discovered when we pulled the carpet out. You can see the hole where the city water hookup should have been.

post-7027-0-16226400-1367606021_thumb.jp

The water hookup and the electric hookup are next to each other. You can see that the water hookup is caulked shut. I opened the electric hookup door to take the following photos.

post-7027-0-45317000-1367605658_thumb.jp

You can see into the bathroom from the electric compartment. Note the remaining carpet on the side of the shower as well as the hole the toilet mounts on in the right side background. There appears to be some kind of drain you pull with the metal ring to relieve pressure, perhaps?

post-7027-0-25053000-1367605720_thumb.jp

A better view of what runs into the electric compartment and below the hot water heater.

post-7027-0-78880100-1367605920_thumb.jp

A view from the hot water heater compartment with the odd elbow.

Any advice whatsoever? I feel like my husband and I can recreate the plumbing pathways, but we only know the basics, and nothing camper-related, so we could use some help. Thanks for reading!

Our campers have a pipe that runs up to the roof to vent gases. That's what the pict with the black large diameter pipe is,prob 1 1/2inch. The grey water pipes in these are obsolete. So tapping into it is problematic. Its hard to dissect without seeing it in person. But I think people have used shark-bite fittings to add/mend this grey stuff. That valve is a drain valve for winterization and emptying system. You could run a new city connection to fresh water tank using pex. Inside install shutoff valve then pipe to tank.There is usually a fitting screwed into tank. Back that fitting out and install new fitting adding your new pex line. Then when you hook up to city you'd open valve inside bathroom which would fill tank. Hope this helps a little.

I would just do without the city water connection. I have never used mine based on the recommendation of my friend Tony who has lived in a motorhome for almost 20 years. He said your just asking for trouble cause if anything starts leaking it will be gushing. Imagine a pipe breaking while your on a hike. Soo much water in there your rig could be completely flooded. Using fresh water tank only, all you have to do is turn the water pump off when you leave the rig and your safe. It will never leak unless your in the Rv and you can stop it immediately. I would just cut a piece of FRP to cover that hole in the wall and paint everything including the pipes. I don't think I'd even try to build something to cover those pipes they will mostly be behind you toilet.

Linda S

I think the stuff on the water heater might be a winterize by pass. It allows you to winterize your rv with out filling the heater with 6 gallons of anti freeze.

I'm a fan of filling your fresh tank and pumping as needed, at least till you have a year or so of fixing leaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your encouragement and advice. The carpet is now gone and a new city water inlet is installed. I would love to replace all the plumbing with pex, and may just do that some day, but for now it is good enough.

Husband did the carpet removal and put peel and stick tile down in those places which matched the ones used in the rest of the camper. He even put tiles around the base of the wall as a buffer in case our young boys "miss", it will be easier to wipe clean. Painted and installed the new toilet at a slight angle, providing more knee space while sitting.

Thanks again. It's nice to have this forum; your input made me brave and now it's DONE! Huzzah!