What size batteries for marine should I get

gr8white

if youre a member of costco i strongly recomend costco size 27 batteries heres why.

costsco replaces batteries no matter what. not defect they dont test them. youre going to kill a few marine batteries.

and when you turn them in, the warranty starts again. Its basically a lifetime warranty. return them once a year and you will have new batteries for life.

Add too it they are cheaper too.

Ive turned mine in twice in just 3 months. Nobody else would put up with that.

mine has the compartment the largest that fits is the size 27. if you put yours under the sofa id get agm because they might tip over.

( costco no longer sells any agm batteries although they used to carry optima)

gr8white,

Yes, #27 should fit OK. make sure you get a deep cycle (marine) for the coach. Depending on how far the deep cycle takes the battery down, and how often this is done, expect to get a 3-6 years out of the battery.

As for battery warranties or return policies.

If there is something wrong with the battery, do the honorable thing and get it replaced, if there is nothing wrong with the battery, do the honorable thing and pay for it. I guess some people have different ideas as to whats legal to do, and whats the honorable thing to do.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i agree with waiter. around here people DO NOT seem to have good results with wallmart. i buy all my batterys at les schab but interstate should be good.

if youre a member of costco take advantage of their warranty, you pay for it.

nothing dishonorable about it all its what sells their batteries

Ive bought about 9 batteries from costco this year because i bought 6 cars to sell this summer and they made their money off me.

wouldnt consider buying a battery somewhere else costco is the battery place.

they only have 2 sizes of deep cycle.

I couldn't do Costco because I have none around me. I live in an area that when you hear a gun shot you know its just good ole boys havin fun as opposed to someone getting murdered. LOL. So I ended up buying a megatron plus Interstate Battery for the motor and the best deep cycle 12v #27 they had. I am going to post my problem and the reason why I am going through this on its own thread.

I purchased a new extra large battery box and it hold a size 29 battery. It has about 20 % more reserve power. I will look into Costco when it comes time to replace it.

I seem to remember from an older post here about batteries that there are 3 kinds, auto/truck, deep cycle and marine. Auto/truck used for starting motors which is a large power drain, but recharged quickly. Deep cycle, which doesn't like being put under large current load but can be discharged slowly much more than auto/truck. Marine is like a hybrid can do both but not as good as a deep cycle for extended discharge.

Did I remember that correctly???

vanman

costsco replaces batteries no matter what. not defect they dont test them. youre going to kill a few marine batteries.

and when you turn them in, the warranty starts again. Its basically a lifetime warranty. return them once a year and you will have new batteries for life.

Add too it they are cheaper too.

Ive turned mine in twice in just 3 months. Nobody else would put up with that.

That is not very nice.... Shame on you. Somewhere there is a sub-contractor for Costsco paying for your greed.

No greed iinvolved the battery dies I replace it or it isn't working as new I replace it nothing wrong with it at all.

That's how they sell their batteries. Having the best warranty

With marine batteries its even more important because they seem to die a lot. I would t buy a car battery anywhere else and its worth the 50 dollar membershiip just for that.

I currently have a single 12v sealed gel battery that is probably close to 6 years old now. The nice feature of this type of battery is it doesn't require venting and so it resides inside the camper under a bench. My previous motorhomes all used T-105's (Trojan 6v golf battery). While they did require occassional maintenance as well as venting, they were hands down much better performer. But they came w/ the vehicles and never went out and tried to replace one $$$.

Will be needing a new battery here soon, am a little on the fence about going back to 6v wet cell. I have read a lot of positive reviews from the BIG RV'ers on both the SAM's club and Costco 6v battery. The performance gain of Trojan/Interstate etc battery doesn't seem worth the extra $$.

If do go 6v wet, will have to build a containment box (prob out of frp) and vent to the outside (prob up front). Need to do some researching on proper venting. The true deep cell (typical 6v golf battery) is a better performer.

I've read old timers swear to putting a few ounces of mineral oil in their cells as well?

@Stamar returning batteries to Costco:

You're not doing anything "illegal" so to say, but something is absolutely wrong with your system and you're using Costco as a recharge center. Costco might gain a lot of business because of their return policy, just like Home Depot, Walmart, or any other super retailer, but some of the things ppl pull are a bit much. I saw a guy return bedsheets after they were clearly used! When do we draw the line? Then again corporate super retailers and big business have screwed over mom and pop retailers. They can't compete with that kind of bulk $$ buying power. And a mom and pop retailer surely couldn't survive with those kinds of return policies. So ya agree w/ the others, what you're doing is abusing the system. Whether they need a screwing is another topic. :) Must be a pita to keep returning batteries tho.

Costcos return policy says full satisfaction or your money back, so you can return used sheets. They won't even ask more than a sentence explanation.

That's why you buy things there and not walmart. It also gets them sales of a lot of things people don't need thinking they will return it.

Costco is doing great, don't worry about them, try and worry about you. You're poor, worry about what is best for you. If you feel bad about costco they will accept donations.

Other places take a lot of battery returns like I rememmber sears does, but the return process takes so long. Costco its just here's the battery here's your cash card go buy a new one or something else.

Happy to do it 100 times.

Happy to do it 100 times

Are you intentionally trolling the general forum population here? You're doing a good job of it.

Returning something because you didn't like it or had some kind of buying remorse is one thing, but DESTROYING a product by using it in a way it's not designed for and then returning it time and time again is theft.

LOL I have no problem returning them.

You have a faulty charging system too? I figured a guy living on a farm in PA would be completely off grid independent of the mere city dwellers dependent on their grid tied umbilical cords. His charging needs totally slammed dunked and 100% worry free.

I love my Walmart batteries. The one that was in it when I bought it lasted another 5 years and the one I replaced it with is now 4 years old. I have the original old power center, charger that supposedly cooks batteries but my camper is always plugged in. Hate taking everything out of the fridge when I use it so often. So I am apparently doing everything wrong but I still can't kill them.

Linda S

Are you intentionally trolling the general forum population here? You're doing a good job of it.

Returning something because you didn't like it or had some kind of buying remorse is one thing, but DESTROYING a product by using it in a way it's not designed for and then returning it time and time again is theft.

You have a faulty charging system too? I figured a guy living on a farm in PA would be completely off grid independent of the mere city dwellers dependent on their grid tied umbilical cords. His charging needs totally slammed dunked and 100% worry free.

I am set up on power. I think I had bad wal mart bateries. Only time will tell

oh!. gr8, did you mean to write "LOL I had no problem returning them" instead of "LOL I have no problem returning them"?

Because if you returned some faulty batteries, then you have every right to do so and I'm glad things worked out. I mistook your typo as also agreeing w/ the policy of returning merchandise that you ruined over and over as well. I apologize for any snide remarks I wrote. my apologies.

...And with that I take leave of forums for a few weeks. Off on needed vacation.

I had to ask my wife what smarmy meant too btw. :)

Costco batteries have a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.

So you can return them if you don't like how they match your shoes.

You would never have to ruin them they don't care they don't check.

You can turn them in because you don't want them anymore and you want cash,

You can turn them in because they don't work as good as a new one. You can turn them in because they are too heavy for you.

You can turn them in for any reason because they have a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.

Not like other batteries, they are different. I know I've said this a few times, and if you still don't understand go to costco and they will explain for you.

There is nothing wrong with it.

There is nothing wrong with returning them once a year for the rest of your life they would be more than happy to do that for you. Ask them.

If you don't understand how the warranty at costco works, then it might not be the right place to shop for you. If you do though, its the right place to buy a lot of things.

I've never remembered to replace my car batteries every year r so in the past, but if my marine battery ever shows signs of wear I'm replacing it. I'm just saying it doesn't work like new get me a new one. In fact when I expand to two batteries I'm repplacing it free of charge so I have two brand new deep cycles.

I'm going to say, I need the battery to be new like my other one. And they'll say ok.

Lol. If that doesn't sound like a good deal to you and you'd rather have batteries be old and pay to replace them don't get them there.

Definitely not smarmy. But you couldn't do that at sears, you'd have to show the battery is faulty. Costco doesn't care if there's a problem, they have a satisfaction guarantee. Only there so far as I know.

I seem to remember from an older post here about batteries that there are 3 kinds, auto/truck, deep cycle and marine. Auto/truck used for starting motors which is a large power drain, but recharged quickly. Deep cycle, which doesn't like being put under large current load but can be discharged slowly much more than auto/truck. Marine is like a hybrid can do both but not as good as a deep cycle for extended discharge.

Did I remember that correctly???

vanman

It's not really as simple as three "types."

There are strandard cranking batteries for sure. They come in two sub-sets. Cold-area batteries with higher cold-cranking amps and less reserve-capacity . . . and hot-area batteries with lowered cold-cranking amps and higher reserve capacity.

Then there are true "true deep cycle" with lots of stuff in-between. The type #27 12 volt batteries sold in chain and marine stores are not true HD deep cycle batteries. The heavier-built Trojan T-105s are also not what are usually regarded at "true deep cycle batteries." They are generally used in scrubbers and golf carts and for use in budget battery banks for RVs and solar homes. The true deep cycle batterie are the big Trojan L-16s or the many versions of Rolls-Surettes. What I'm callilng "true" deep cycle batteries have very heavy anchored plates and have expected life-spans of 8 to 30 years. Longest lived HD deep-cycle batteries I know of come in 2 volt cells made by Exide. They have an expected life of 30 years and are often used in the telecom industry. I've been using the Deka equivalent to the Trojan T-105s for years and they work very well. Type GC-12 with NAPA # 8144. Nice thing they have over Trojan is any NAPA store can order them in - so no shipping charges. The pair I have in my RV right now are 8 years old and still working fine. I also have 12 of them at a solar-powered cabin and they are 9 years old. Two of them hooked in series gives enough reserve to run a micorwave oven off an inverter without the input low-voltage breaker tripping.

I've never regarded the AGMs worth the extra expense. Their big advantage is being spill-proof. Second to that is no required venting. Third is they have a very low self-discharge rate. Not really an issue in an RV as I see it.. Dollar for watt over a given time-frame, "old-fashioned" flooded lead-acid batteries still are more cost-effective - by far.

That last post was really good and I just wanted to add that the only thing that a marine battery is is one that is water proof. They have marine starting and marine deep cycle and hybrid.

Its not a kind of battery in itself its just for marine purposes as obvious as that sounds. Getting. A marine starting battery is bad for a deep cycle.

And the deep cycle battery that I'm using is so obviously not a real deep cycle battery as I discharged it once and it never was able to hold a charge again. Its just a better regular battery, more deep cycle than the starting battery. Not up to the literal definition of a deep cycle battery at all, like ones you can purchase for your house or off grid.

One thing about good old lead acid batteries like the T-105s is that you do need to learn about battery care to get long life out of them. Individual cells tend to discharge at slightly different rates and get "out of balance" with each other. About once a month or so, it really helps to do an equalizing charge. This is a controlled overcharge at a low rate, that brings the batteries up to a higher than normal voltage, around 19 or so, depending on the temperature. It causes fairly vigorous bubbling and stirs up the acid solution, which tends to stratify and helps to prevent sulfation of the plates. This is a bit of a pain to do, but really improves longevity. It will cause you to have to add water more often, distilled only please!

Steve

One thing about good old lead acid batteries like the T-105s is that you do need to learn about battery care to get long life out of them. Individual cells tend to discharge at slightly different rates and get "out of balance" with each other. About once a month or so, it really helps to do an equalizing charge. This is a controlled overcharge at a low rate, that brings the batteries up to a higher than normal voltage, around 19 or so, depending on the temperature. It causes fairly vigorous bubbling and stirs up the acid solution, which tends to stratify and helps to prevent sulfation of the plates. This is a bit of a pain to do, but really improves longevity. It will cause you to have to add water more often, distilled only please!

Steve

Trojan used to recommend "equalization" every month or so. No more. Now they say to test a battery once in awhile and only equalize if it needs it. The test is for uneven gravity in separate cells. I think this new "outlook" came about because so many people have ruined AGM batteries that do not respond well to any equalization effort. Some battery chargers are programed to equalize automatically and it wound up ruining some very expensive AGM battery banks.

I too use Walmart batteries and love them. I forget the company's name who makes them but it is on the battery, and supposedly one of the best. Group 27.

The same company that makes Interstate batteries makes them for Walmart, Caterpillar, Subaru, and many more. Johnson Controls.

Last I checked there are only three companies in the USA making auto batteries. There is a lot of rebranding going on. There is Deka, Johnson Controls, and Exide.

When it comes to deep-cycle batteries there are other companies making them.

Walmart's auto cranking batteries are made by Johnson Controls and some of their so-called "deep cycle" batteries were made by Exide. That may of changed though. Exide had many failures and got dropped by several companies including Sears Diehard and NAPA.

I too use Walmart batteries and love them. I forget the company's name who makes them but it is on the battery, and supposedly one of the best. Group 27.

I've been using Walmart batteries for years in my diesel trucks and heavy equipment. I'm referring to the cranking batteries that are made for Walmart by Johnson Controls. The "deep cycle" and "marine" batteries Walmart has been selling were made by Exide. That may have changed recently though. I've had four Exides "deep cycles" from Walmart and they all starting going bad after 2 years of use. My Deka deep cycle batteries I've gotten through NAPA have lasted as long as 10 years. Price has gone up though. Last set I bought of Deka equiv to the Trojan T-105s were $58 each. Now they are $150 each.

The same company that makes Interstate batteries makes them for Walmart, Caterpillar, Subaru, and many more. Johnson Controls.

Last I checked there are only three companies in the USA making auto batteries. There is a lot of rebranding going on. There is Deka, Johnson Controls, and Exide.

When it comes to deep-cycle batteries there are other companies making them.

Walmart's auto cranking batteries are made by Johnson Controls and some of their so-called "deep cycle" batteries were made by Exide. That may of changed though. Exide had many failures and got dropped by several companies including Sears Diehard and NAPA.

Interstate may make walmart batteries but I can say with confidence that they are not the same quality. I just got 3 new Interstate Batteries. One under the hood and 2 deep cycles. They have been performing amazing and I just tested them good on a long trip....

As someone who workks in consumer testing and reads consumer reports every day I can tell you there's no link between battery quality and the orignal manufacturer.

Whatever the last rankings for batteries consumer reports has likely shows the cheapest is the best.

Interstate may make walmart batteries but I can say with confidence that they are not the same quality. I just got 3 new Interstate Batteries. One under the hood and 2 deep cycles. They have been performing amazing and I just tested them good on a long trip....

Interstate does not make batteries for anybody . . . not even for themselves. Johnson Controls make them. Any company who wants to sell batteries can order them made to their own specs. So, maker alone might insure quality control but does not guarantee the same specs in different part #s and brands. I've got four diesel trucks and each uses dual batteries. I've been using Walmart Maxx batteries and the shortest lived pair started going bad at 7 years. My oldest in my snow plow truck are just about 9 years old. If I was driving daily I'd replace them but for now - they're fine. I just had to replace the Interstate in my Dodge GrandCaravan and it was 4 1/2 years old. None of this proves much but does give some anecdotal evidence that some Walmart battaries are very good quality and some Interstate batteries are not. I've done very well with Walmart batteries and they have stores all over the country. Makes things easy.