What do you use to level your RV?

bobar

I also use the Legos, BUT I rarely ever need to use them. I generally move back and forth, and find a good spot, I have a bubble level on the drivers door pillar, and I can usually get it within 1 mark on the level. I'm not over concerned about side to side, just front to back.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I also carry the Legos but have not used them yet. I also get close by looking at the site and call it close enough. My advantage is that my 12 volt compressor frig does not have to be level to work. It can be off level by 30 degrees, I can't stay in the bed at that angle.

i use the orange lynx leavelers bought at wallmart have two bags also four little 3 ton bottle jacks set on 2 by 6 hard maple blocks works good on dirt work very well for fine tuning side to side or front to rear.ALSO have four screw jacks bought at yard sale 10 dollors.I find if i go yard sales in senyors trailer courts you find people who have sold their rv but still have a lot of rv stuff too sell cheap

Drive on plastic ramps. I was at the junk yard looking for something else and I asked the owner what he did with the scissor jacks when he crushed the cars he said he just left them in the cars. Long story short he said "take all you want" I use them about mid-way on the frame to take the sway out of the MH when it's parked.

Usually, I can level my truck by moving on the site. I, too, use the Legos in the handy square cube carrying case. Handy?? You betcha! I use the Lego cube for an arm rest , in between the bucket seats, when traveling. Works like it belongs there. B)

Well some say it has to be dead level for the fridge but the fridge people say if you are comfortable so is the fridge. Me I like it dead flat but I know some that have no problem walking up hill to use the head. People have an amazing ability to sense level so I guess if it feels good to you it's fine I try for a flat spot and adjust to suite.

Thanks Maineah for your comments. I have heard a lot of people talking about leveling, but I'm ok if it's relatively flat & level, my only worry is that if it's not flat it'll do some damage to something.

The newer style frig are less sensitive to the leveling problems. Look at the heating chimney on the back of the frig (the big round tube that gets very hot), if its round, your new, if its square, your old.

The new style can be pretty far off, the old style needs to be very close.

I think the book for the new says "comfortable (5-6 degrees) where the old unit is 2-3 degrees. I think if you get it within one bubble mark on the levels, you OK with either, and its vour comfortable.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks John for your information. I will check the chimney out. I guess with mine's 87 rig could be the old style. Like Maineah says I am one of the people who has no problem walking uphill to use the head. Guess it has to do with my time at sea.

I've looked several times at the Installation instructions. I think in all the Dometic instructions they say "level to be comfortable".

Norcold gives numbers. Side to side (looking at the fridge) is 3 degrees, front to back is 6 degrees. To give an idea what that is, 3 degrees with a 137" wheelbase is around 7" (like 4 - 5 layers of 2x6 under the front wheels). So quite a lot!!

I like using 2x6's for 2 reasons. They're cheap and can also be used as firewood.

i recently saw someone leveling with wood on just one front wheel, the spring on the front allowed the wheel to be pushed up into the wheel well so much that it looked like it took three to raise it maybe 2 inches, looked to me like it couldn't be good for the front susspension to be left compressed for all the camping time. just a thought, i know i wouldn't want to do that to mine.

The newer style frig are less sensitive to the leveling problems. Look at the heating chimney on the back of the frig (the big round tube that gets very hot), if its round, your new, if its square, your old.

The new style can be pretty far off, the old style needs to be very close.

I think the book for the new says "comfortable (5-6 degrees) where the old unit is 2-3 degrees. I think if you get it within one bubble mark on the levels, you OK with either, and its vour comfortable.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi John I have checked my furnance out it's kind of looks like kind of round. Would this mean I have a newer model? It's a Dometic fridge.

post-2730-0-06996200-1351529993_thumb.jp

Centralman, Yes, thats a newer one, not as critical for leveling as the older style. Get one of these (2 pack).

RV Bubble Level

Stick one on the drivers door pillar up about eye level so you can see it when you turn your head. Make that the front/back level.

The other you can put on the dash as a side-to-side level.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-31861300-1351551332_thumb.jp

Centralman, Yes, thats a newer one, not as critical for leveling as the older style. Get one of these (2 pack).

RV Bubble Level

Stick one on the drivers door pillar up about eye level so you can see it when you turn your head. Make that the front/back level.

The other you can put on the dash as a side-to-side level.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks John for your information. It did have a couple of level measuring devices at the end of the MH but the glass/plastic is broken and the liquid inside is long gone so yes get a couple of replacement is good idea.

2 x 10's and my smart phone. The bubble level app is surprisingly accurate.

must be hard on the smart phone... ;-)

must be hard on the smart phone... ;-)

Only when I drop it on the pad where I'm parked :P However, I was in the local shop and they had the curved bubble levels there so I picked a pair up and as soon as I get her good and level I'll put one on the dash and one on the door. Might as well have two ways to do it.

A little while ago I was talking to guy who was leveling his trailer. He had those scissor jacks that are bolted right to the frame and that you can use a cordless drill to extend into position. Anyway, I asked him if they came stock with his unit or if he had them added on later and he told me that they came stock, but he knew of people who had them added on to their units later on. Seems to me that putting a couple on the rear might be a good idea. I'm not sure there is any place to put them up front.

• 2 weeks later...

Is how I level my RV. Kim

Hey Kim!

Love all the videos you've made. Been meaning to comment, but haven't managed to get around to it. the Blocks are great, the zirk fitting video, skid plates, stray bunny that wandered into your yard, Dodge Chargers, etc. Lots of fun videos. Ya, you do start them all with "OK" :)

Odd how the previous owner stopped half-way w/ the demolition of your camper. Must have realized he was in over his head and too late to turn around. Good stuff.