Spare parts and tools to take on a road trip?

I just got my 86 Sea Breeze a few weeks ago and its my first RV. I have alot of things I want to do to feel safe on a cross country trip that I plan on making at the end of Oct. Can someone give me an idea of what spare parts and tools I should take with me on a road trip? I already have a spare alternator. I am assuming I need hoses but when I look at the motor I dont even know where to begin and what parts and types of parts to get. Im assuming a starter as well. Also, I have all the wrenches and sockets but what else would I want to bring to prevent a complete breakdown and not have to pay another $1,400.00 for a damn alternator (half was towing) as far as tools? Also, I am a bit handy but Im not Bobby Villa. Is there a Chiltons Manual or something that gives step by step instructions on how to replace parts or something online that I can print?

Is there a Chiltons Manual or something that gives step by step instructions on how to replace parts or something online that I can print?

Sounds like you're looking for a copy of this-

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL2407683M/How_to_keep_your_Toyota_pickup_alive

This link might work:-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17506795/Toyota_Pickup_Idiot_Book.pdf

1) Replace tires If over 6 years old -replace, regardless of tread.

2) Repack bearings, inspect brakes (all four wheels)

3) Under the hood, replace all hoses and belts (save old ones as spares),

4) Maybe replace water pump, or at least carry a new one (the center seal starts weeping)

5) Replace Thermostat and radiator cap.

6) replace Windshield wipers, You may need to buy the tiny adapters for the wipers (one time so you can use standard wiper blades)

7) Replace fuel, air, and transmission filters. (replacing fuel filter is a #$^#&^$^%)

8) Grease job, and your ready to hit the road

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Typically what ever part you take with you will not be the one you need. John is spot on make sure your ride is in the best shape it can be before you leave.

I would get:

1.) a set of ratchet wrenches (wrenches that have socket ratchet mechanism in the wrench; MUCH better than sockets pound for pound).

2.) Breaker Bar, extension, and socket to fit the rear dually lugs. Cant stress this one enough; you wont get them off without.

3.) voltmeter or multimeter nuff said.

4.) small alligator clips (one red one black)

5.) a small bail of thick gauge electrical wire.

6.) ^ what John said also

7.) spare bulbs for lights or LEDs and LED worklight.

8.) brass LP adapters and or nipples to allow attaching separate propane tanks to semi fill main tank etc. I can actually hookup those tiny camping ones to mine. nice.

9.) Bag of multiple sized Tie wraps

10.) Bag o' bungie cords varying lengths

Engine parts are very easy to find anywhere. I would really save the weight of carrying the heavy parts. I would just make sure it is in the best possible shape it can be in before you go...

We are planning a cross country trip too, but I'm not going to be bringing many parts with me, just my notes of what parts I need and where to get them from (Online) I will bring 2 spare tires, hose repair kit and only the alternator belt so I can keep going to the nearest town that has an auto parts store chain. Storage space and weight are very limited with our family of 4, so I will also have to carefully consider what tools to bring with me... I'd love to bring everything, but likely will be only taking the staples: socket, wrench and screwdriver sets as well as a volt meter.

A.

second the towing, if your traveling on mapped roads that should take care of most things. if a couple of days lost really screws up the trip then add a few parts and tools to maybe save the time. we are planning on about a 2000 mile trip next spring, will be doing what waiter suggests before taking off. as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Before my RV left the driveway for the trip home I had it covered with an RV towing insurance policy. It cost me $60.00 a year. No matter how far it is to the nearest RV repair facility they will tow it there at no additional charge. Plus they will come and change flat tires and do other roadside assistance for me. I know I don't have the strength to change a flat on a rear dually so that and the fact my rig is 32 years old made the policy a very sensible investment.

Yes I got RV insurance from Good Sam. Sounds like the same one that you have.

On our Alaska trip, we knew we would be traveling into places that if something serious went wrong with the Toyhouse, one of the options would be to abandon it. (cost to retrieve it would be more than its worth.)

So, we spent a lot of time making sure everything was as reliable as we could. We also bought the tow insurance from Good Sams. i.e. a tow from Prudhoe Bay to Fairbanks would probably cost $2,000 or $3,000 on a flatbed truck.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Waiter, I am planning a trip to Alaska as well. Do you have any advice on when to go and where? I want to see a Polar Bear in the wild and the Northern lights. Im also looking to go cage diving with Great White Sharks. They have excursions in San Diego. If anyone has any advice on a good place for this please let me know. Thanks!

Unfortunately, Northern lights don't fit into the package, maybe.

We went just before Memorial Day, the tourist stuff is starting to open and the mosquitoes aren't awake yet. You need dark for northern lights, this may work out better in the fall just before winter starts taking its toll.

You'll have to go way north to get a chance of seeing Polar Bears. We did see one new Prudhoe Bay out on the Arctic Ocean (the ocean was still frozen when we were there)

You'll see a lot of black bear if you take the Ceasier hiway and take a side trip to bear glacier (check the blog for the route, I can't remember)

Get a Milespost book and start planning.

http://milepost.com/

Check out our blog at:

http://iflyez.com/alaska/

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 8 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but here's what I'm planning on taking on our upcoming ~7500mi. trip out west:

Tools:

- 1/4in & 3/8in Socket wrenches with extensions and swivle adapters

- Metric sockets for both, and deeps for the 3/8in

- Metric wrenches (6-22mm)

- Brake-bleeder wrench

- 1/2in Breaker (with a 3/8 adapter)

- Large and small adjustable wrench

- Large and medium adjustable pliers

- Pliers, needle nose, wire stripper/cutter/crimper

- 1/4in hand socket driver with hex bit adapter (so I can use my Milwaukee screw driver, hex, allen, etc. bits with it) - basically one screwdriver to rule them all

- small crowbar & handled pry bar

- multi-meter

- Milwaukee variable speed drill (with 1 wire brush and 1 cutting bit)

- small ball pein hammer

- small tape measure

- and a couple of the more toyota common metric taps

Parts:

- electrical & plumbing tape

- Tire plug kit

- various hose clamps

- various electrical connectors

- various heat shrinks

- various panhead philips screws

- butyl tape

- spare thermostat

- spare oil filter & 15w40

- spare waterpump, carb, and exhaust STUDS (1 each)

All of the tools fit in a Craftsman 13" tool bag (with the exception of the drill and small crowbar), and a lot of the parts fit nicely in a small plastic fishing tackle case - which fits in the tool bag as well. All in, probably 65lbs or so. Along with as much preventative maintenance as I could possibly do:

- valve adjustment

- exhaust/intake/valve cover gaskets

- plug wires (Cap was new)

- radiator

- water pump

- thermostat

- anti-freeze

- brake & clutch master & slave cylinders

- repacked all wheel bearings & new seals

- new u-joints

- new hoses

- new tires

- fuel filter

- fresh differencial, trans, and engine oil.

- lube, and oil filter

I figure if something major blows out (e.g., head gasket, trans, clutch) it was meant to, other than that I feel fairly prepared. I wish everyone safe and trouble free trips this summer and as always thank everyone for there contributions to this site.

I bought one of those el-cheapo 12 volt tire pump compressors. I keep it stashed under the bench seat with all the spare prts that hopefully will never be used. :-)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

might want to test that air compressor - I have one I use on my cars & tried it on my camper - it would not go anywhere near 65 lbs - it made high 40's & I suspect it would burn up if used for my Camper.

I got one that was rated to 150psi (slime brand I believe) and it handles the 55psi my wife's lowpro tires take. I haven't tried it on the toy but I see no reason why it wouldn't push an additional 5-10lbs above that....will check before we leave though. Thanks

I vote for a jack that works for your camper along with lug wrenches that fit with a cheater bar that one can use to break the lugs lose. I also carry a tube of permatex antiseize that is use to keep the lugs from freezing. I have the toy tool but it is barely long enough to clear the body on the rear wheels so I now have a 23mm socket with a 1/2" extension so i can use my rachet (with cheater bar) & get them off. My camper did not have a jack & I bought a 4 ton jack at harbor freight ($18) & it does lift the tail end one side of the axle at a time.

I also carry one jack stand.

Dan, Thats what I used, a 4 ton bottle jack.

Karin, I didn't understand why Alaska had mosquotes until I got there and looked around, its a swamp, all kinds of places of standing water, everywhere. Also agree on the Milepost book with one major observation The pictures in the book are a lot nicer than reality. :-)

We seen a LOT of black bears, a couple grizlies, and even 2 polar bears up on the Arctic ocean. We;re planning on repeating the trip next spring.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Speaking of jacks...I was thinking of mounting a set of 2 ton scissor jacks (24" of lift) to the frame behind the rear axle so I could distribute the weight between the two. I have a 4 ton bottle jack, but seems like it would have to be chalked up quite a ways to get the rearend off the ground to change a tire...added benefit of the scissors would be stabilization/leveling when parked.

Please let me know if this souds like a bad idea, good idea, insane, etc. Just want an easy/safe way to deal with flats if/when they occur. Thanks

For flats you would want to jack the rear axle not the frame. Otherwise they could be used to level.

Chock the wheel cross opposite the flat, ii.e. if right rear flat, chock left front.

crack the lug nuts loose.

If a rear wheel, Inflate the air bag on the flat side to the max.

drive the flat tire up on a couple 2x6s (raises the flat side up a couple inches.)

use the bottle jack under the axle and raise the wheel enough to get the wheel off.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

That is my quandry...No air bags, so I can't raise the axle with the bottle and still get the rear wheel off - blocked by the wheel-well...was thinking of installing bags later on, but may need to do this now...or use the scissors to get clearence then lift the rear axle with the bottle jack.

Raising the entire coach at the frame is possible, but I believe it needs to go up quite a way. you may want to use two jacks, raise the axle with a bottle jack then when the wheel is off the ground, use another jack to raise the coach.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

They do sell scissors frame jacks for some pretty big stuff but here is the problem you can lift the frame but probably not enough to lift the tire off the ground the frame will go up but the tire and rear end won't until you reach the full travel of the suspension. They are not cheap so it would be a good ideal to find out just how far you have to go. If you just need clearance go to the junk yard and get scissors jacks out of an Japanese car and put them under the frame in a low spot. I used two to stabilize the MH when I was parked the junk yard guy gave me 4 of them for nothing.

• 1 month later...

Im always in hills and cant say how many times RIGHT STUFF rtv has saved me, that stuff will bond/seal anything it seems like. Its pretty spendy but is very very well worth it, I NEVER use any other rtv on any motor builds of mine. I also used it on my crf450 transmission side case and it doesn't leak at all. Anyone ever use this stuff?

A bar of soap. Of course you keep one in the bathroom. ;-) Temporarly fixes gas tank leaks. I'm serious!

I got one that was rated to 150psi (slime brand I believe) and it handles the 55psi my wife's lowpro tires take. I haven't tried it on the toy but I see no reason why it wouldn't push an additional 5-10lbs above that....will check before we leave though. Thanks

I have that same compressor; airs up the air bags and tires just fine even to 80 psi or more (on bags)