Tires - What to get in general terms (Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse)

I have what looks like some really really old tires on my 87 Conquest that I want to replace. The 5 lug front tires are Goodyear HT 195/75/R14 load range C, the rear dual 6 lug are Wildcat LT 195/75/R14. The year of the rear tires date to 1996. I'm thinking in going to a place like Les Schwab or Good Year so I can have the brakes and shocks looked at. I'm not sure that places like discount tire can do these additional services.

So I see many recommendations for Hanook and see references to Yokohama. I want to be safe and not get tires so wide that cause rubbing and such from what I'm reading. What do you recommend?

I also have 2 spares that I carry. I'm thinking of ditching the 6 lug to get rid of weight but on the fence at the moment.

Again, I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse as there are many posts on this subject. There should be a sticky post in this section that keeps us current on tires.

Cheers,

Gary in Seattle

Hankook RA08, Yokohama Y356, Continental Vanco2 and Sumitomo SL726 are the 'bigger' names that can supply tires in the 'preferred' 185R14 Load Range D (aka 8-ply). The Hankook and Sumitomo are listed as 'All Season', the other 2 as 'Summer'. If that's important to you. None will give you any clearance problems.

Don't let anyone convince you to buy tires that are marked ST185R14 even if they are Load Range D. The 'ST' designation indicates that it is a 'TRAILER TIRE'. Safe on a trailer perhaps, but not on a motorhome!

i live in the north west i use les schwab they sell a tire made by nexen called the thunderer r101 size 185 r 14 it is a d rated tire 8 ply rated 14 inch others on here use these i have bought three so far

load range c tires should not be on there at all not heavy duty enough have brand new thunderer spare on back of my dolphon in yakima valley old spare soo bad blew up just hanging on the back end gets 100 here all summer. going to get a cover for spare now bought dolphon last nov. had two of same on front of my prev 1978.

Ivee heard that discount tires matches all internet prices.

they never have the 185 r 14 in stock but they get them overnight.

as far as free brake, air and air bag inspection, you have the right place, les schwaub. I go there before a trip and dont pay them a cent.

Whats crazy is I walk up to the counter and I essentially go to the front of the line if theres an open bay.

Immediate service or service within like 15 minutes while all the paying customers are waiting an hour or more.

So those are my two favorite tire stores. I would never buy tires from les schwaub they have terrible selection and value, I would always buy the tires from discount tires.

Ok, now I am a bit perplexed? I have read many other posts in the forum discussing tires and ratings. I was under the impression from those posts that the Hankook RA08 was a C Load rated tire at 6 ply, and many posting here have highly recommended them. I was planning to put them on my Toy due to those many posts in our forum praising them for price and utilization. But looking here in this post, I see some are saying they would not recommend putting a C load rated tire on their toy? Which is it? Should I go ahead and feel comfortable buying the Hankook RA08’s, or should I have the need to shell out the extra bucks for the D Load 8-ply Yokahamas? Any help would be appreciated.

The RA08s are Load Range D. I'm not sure which post is giving you the incorrect impression they are only LR C. Load Range D tires are rated for 1875lbs. Load Range C tires are rated for 1600lbs. They would actually be enough for a Toyota. But they're only a few dollars cheaper, so I'd go with the LR D.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4836

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4680

The RA08s are Load Range D. I'm not sure which post is giving you the incorrect impression they are only LR C. Load Range D tires are rated for 1875lbs. Load Range C tires are rated for 1600lbs. They would actually be enough for a Toyota. But they're only a few dollars cheaper, so I'd go with the LR D.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=4836

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=4680

Thank you Derek, I appreciate the clarification.

Les Schwab quoted 8 Thunderer R101 185R14's for $1400, balance +tax. Made my way down to Discount Tire and they quoted me 8 Yokohama Y356 185R14's for $1000, blalnce plus tax. They also have a Labor Day weekend special, $100 off a set of 4 tires so that would take me down to $800.

Decisions....decisions...

Thats no decision at all right there get the yokohamas or the hankooks at discount tire.

you got name brand for 500 less?

The only bad thing I can say about discount tire or americas tires is theres often a long wait. I wouldnt buy a tire anywhere else. Even if I wanted the nexens Id go have discount tire order them.

They are a very agressive company and their tires come with much longer than mfr warrantys too you dont see that til you look it up. Thats another part of their marketing is they give you 80k mile warranty on a 40k mile tire.

When researching Yokohama Y356 tires, I have found them as the 35601 rated at 1600lbs, the 35602 rated at 1710lbs, and the 35603 rated at 1850lbs. There are price differences of course, and I'm just giving this info as maybe one needs to be sure which tire they are getting quoted, when comparing prices. One company might not be the same version tire as the other, and thus the better price.

1987 Odyssey MH, my local VIP Auto parts chain store has been FIVE weeks trying to find one tire for my MH. Last year, it took them 1 week, and the tires came from NORTH AFRICA, brand name "TRIANGLE" .

why are these tires so hard to get and cost around $187.00 each +taxes,ect ???

What were the original tires when brand new?

thank you in advance.

What were the original tires when brand new?

Most likely they were 185R14 Load Range D. An outside chance 195R14. I'm guessing that 95%+ of people are using the former with excellent results.

$187+ taxes, etc? You was robbed!! You need to explore online buying for ~$100 (for tires made by someone that's actually heard of).

• 7 months later...

i live in the north west i use les schwab they sell a tire made by nexen called the thunderer r101 size 185 r 14 it is a d rated tire 8 ply rated 14 inch others on here use these i have bought three so far

These are the tires we are getting for our 1991 V6 Conquest. They included the insurance and everything for $150 each out the door. seems much but insurance at any Les Schwab is def a piece of mind

I LIVE IN EASTERN WASH STATE NEVER SEEN A DISCOUNT TIRE AROUND HERE AND LES HAS MORE THEN 500 STORES EVEN UP IN PULMAN I SAW ONE AND THERE IS NOT MUCH THERE . THEY COVER idiaho WEST MONTANA EVEN alASKA. CALIF. i AM using there batterys in all rigs last six years. heavy duty tires cost more other places they bill you for warenty road hazerd.

SOME YEARS ago I SAW A GUY COME IN TO Les WITH A BRAND NEW TIRE ON A 4WD HE RAN A SHARP SHALE rock RIGHT THRU THE TREAD.they GAVE HIM A NEW TIRE FREE . PLACES I USED TO GO I RAN A BOLT IN A NEW TIRE AND THEY TOLD ME YOUR PROBLEM BUY A NOTHER TIRE. I USE LES EVER SINCE.

I LIVE IN EASTERN WASH STATE NEVER SEEN A DISCOUNT TIRE AROUND HERE AND LES HAS MORE THEN 500 STORES EVEN UP IN PULMAN I SAW ONE AND THERE IS NOT MUCH THERE . THEY COVER idiaho WEST MONTANA EVEN alASKA. CALIF. i AM using there batterys in all rigs last six years. heavy duty tires cost more other places they bill you for warenty road hazerd.

Here is a list of Discount tire stores in Washington. The name on the store might be America's tire store. Same company

http://www.discounttire.com/store-locations/WA-stores.html

Linda S

SOME YEARS ago I SAW A GUY COME IN TO Les WITH A BRAND NEW TIRE ON A 4WD HE RAN A SHARP SHALE rock RIGHT THRU THE TREAD.they GAVE HIM A NEW TIRE FREE . PLACES I USED TO GO I RAN A BOLT IN A NEW TIRE AND THEY TOLD ME YOUR PROBLEM BUY A NOTHER TIRE. I USE LES EVER SINCE.

Yea... im def going to LES... Love the free new tires, warrentees and the service there.

150 bucks out the door :o

Everything else I want to fix on my rig but when it comes to tires, I'll let them do it! :weight_lift:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! We're in British Columbia, Vancouver Island to be precise, so are looking for good tires for our '92 (Toy) Warrior that we can get here. Derek Up North, are you in Canada?

It might be worth your while to check prices and shipping charged from www.tires-easy.com

I've bought three sets of tires from them and so far, and very impressed with the apparent quality of their el-cheapos.

I put the SUNY (made in China) 185-14RC, 8 ply tires on my Isuzu truck and they have far exceeded my expectations. I did not even have to balance them and it runs as smooth as glass. For me here in NY they cost $67 each and $11 each for shipping.

I also put a set of SUNY 185-60-14"s on my wife's Volkswagen Jetta diesel. Again - I mounted them and no balancing needed. We've driven it at 75 MPH and it's very smooth. I mention the balance thing since I was warned by a local tire dealer that cheap tires are so "out of balance" even wheel weights won't fix them. Seems he was wrong. I paid $29 per tire plus $11 shipping.

Their cheapest for the Toyota RV 8 ply rated tires are the Nexens at $59 each. Hankooks RA08 are $85 each. The highest prices ones are the Kunhom 857 at $123 each.

I also have a new set of 185-14RC 8 ply tires for my Toyota RV. They are Achilles. Asian but not Chinese and $66 each. I haven't tried them yet.

The tires-easy place also sells all the bigger name brands. So far, I am very impressed with the prices and low shipping charges. They greatly beat TireRack.

I have my own tire machine so I don't need to pay a local $10-$15 each to mount.

I checked tires-easy and the shipping to vancouver was prohibitively high. Over 40 bucks a tire because they charge you for import fees and taxes. Probably the best option for someone so close to the US would be to plan on tires when your going on a trip to the states. There is a discount tire in Sequim and several more in the Seattle area. Or maybe have tires shipped to a friend in Seattle and have them installed while your visiting. Don't think border patrol will notice you aren't running on Canadian bought tires.

Linda S