just installed 6 new Hankook size 195-14. Not sure what pressure I should be using. Sears set everything at 50 psi. My Galavan is small (18'), no water tanks or bathroom. Total vehicle weight is 4000 lbs. It seems to ride ok.

Derek, you're the answer man. Give me your best guess.

I'll start by saying that I've got a pretty 'numb bum' when it comes to tire pressures. However, typically people seem to run a higher pressure in the rear than the front. Not just motorhomes, but RWD cars, trucks and vans. Lowering the front too much will give you heavier steering. I guess if it was mine, I'd try 40F/50R.

I am thinking about getting these tires for my 1980 Toyota Huntsman motorhome. I talked to a tire man with many years in the business. He told me that 6 ply tires are hard riding. That my passenger car tires would give a smoother and better ride. I have 35 lbs. max in my tires now which are still in great shape with about 15K miles on them. But in 5K miles I want to go to new tires just to be on the safe side. I would say the pressure is high and could be adjusted down. Try 40 to see if there is a difference in ride and noise. If there is no difference, try 35. You can always go back up to 50 which probably won't hurt the tire, just the ride.

Hi,

On my 92 Itasca Spirit, Toyota is very clear on what the pressure is, they have a permanent laminated instruction and vehicle weight table pasted to the drivers door. The rating for the vehicle is 50 psi, not lower in the front or more in the rear. 50 psi. The designers are looking at the Gross Vehicle weight, and then having choosen a certain size, with specific load carrying capacity, and the braking system performance came up with that number.

Anyone who suggests car tire, is either lazy, stupid or doesn't care about your life or that of your family. P rated tires (i.e. car tires) are designed to carry a load in the lower weights normally associated with small cars and light weights, the Toyota is using tires designed to pack about 1650 lbs per tire, not 550 lbs per tire (P rated are normally rated for 1/4 ton to 1/2 ton vehicles). The tire dealer wants to sell tires, no wonder he said 5000 kilometers, those car tires would have been beaten with an inch of their lives, from heat and weight stress.

Engineers design vehicles to be safe, do not mess with this kind of stuff. If you don't like your specified tires, choose anothe brand, or model, but not stray from the specifications, because you might live to regret it.

Boots

Fred;

50 psi sounds good for the 18 ft (4000 lb).

Mine is 21ft (6500 lb) 65 psi in the rear and 50-55psi in the front

I thought Derek posted a pressure chart from Hankook.

The ride and handling on mine is good. I would be very concerned about using a passenger car tire on the truck for two reasons:

1) The tire could be overloaded 6,500 lbs divided by 6 = 1,083 lbs per tire

2) Sidewall flexing - All of the weight is transferred from the hub to the road via the sidewall, Construction of passenger tire sidewall is optimized for ride comfort and will flex a lot. Truck tire is optimized for load capacity and flexes less. Keep in mind if you have dullies, the sidewall flexing could also cause the tires to contact each other.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

thanks john. tires seem to be riding fine. not sure what all the pass. tire talk is about.

Passenger car tires and truck tires are differently designed, built, and labeled. You must use properly rated truck tires on our Toys. You have great tires, I wish I had gone with them over the 185/14 RA08's that we got. Wikipedia has a nice page showing what the labelling means on both kinds.

vanman

On 2012-06-26 at 6:58 AM, waiter said:

I thought Derek posted a pressure chart from Hankook.

Load Inflation Table - 185R14 - Load Range C & D

Inflation (Psi)....       26 ... 29 ... 32 .. 35 ..  38 ...  41 ... 44 ..  47 ... 51 .. 54 ..  58 ... 62 ..  65

Singe (Lb)........... 1080 1147 1213 1279 1345 1400 1466 1532 1599 1665 1731 1786 1874

Dual (Lb)............. 1036 1102 1158 1223 1279 1334 1389 1455 1521 1588 1643 1709 1764

Load Inflation from Yokohama.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

When I brought my 1990 Odyssey 6 years ago she had three Goodyear Wrangler HT 185/14 load range C tires

on that were 2 or 3 years old and three non-Goodyear 10+ year tires and a 12+ year spare. I replaced the

three 10+ year old tires with new Goodyear Wrangler HT 185/14 load range C tires so that they all matched, and

kept the best of the older tires as my spare. Six years later (today), the three 8/9 year old Wrangers are starting

to get side wall cracks.

I am currently thinking (next day or two) about buying four hankook RA08 195/14 load range D tires for the rear axle

dullies, this will leave me with two 6 year old Goodyears on the front, and a 6 year old Goodyear as a spare. The

6 year old Goodyears have 19,000 miles on them. I hate to discard tires early, does anyone see a problem with

this (beside probably having to buy new front tires in 2/3 years)? Thanks...

Most of the major chains will match any deal you can find.

Google Hankook RA-08, make sure you look up 14 or 15, depending what you want.

Then look at how they will be mounted, balanced, etc.

Print this out and go to Les Swab or Discount tire, and make a deal, You should be able to get out the door for slightly less than 100 per tire. (mounted, balanced,)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

ok thanks....?

does anyone have this deal to link to me?

I assume i need to have shipping.

Im pretty sure no tire chain matches online prices but ill go ahead and try that sometime.

as a back up does anyone have a link to the lowest online prices?

my hankooks are running great. too bad the guys that installed them screwed me and removed the brass valve stems. i can't find any replacements anywhere.

ok thanks....?

does anyone have this deal to link to me?

I assume i need to have shipping.

Im pretty sure no tire chain matches online prices but ill go ahead and try that sometime.

as a back up does anyone have a link to the lowest online prices?

This place is in Portland so probably the closest for lower cost shipping to you. They also have some different brands for very low prices. The hankook's are priced good too

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&sowigan=&Breite=185&Quer=&Felge=14&Speed=&kategorie=6&LoadRange=&Marke=&ranzahl=4&suchen=View+tires

thanks at 13 a tire thats just under 100$ for the 185s

which i think is the best price.

discountire.com doesnt carry these or id go there, they have free shipping.

I dont know if they do carry other 14 inch lt tires i cant type the size in. it doenst have the width

edit two things. My rv has some crackly but fully treaded nankang jupiters.

Seem to be not made any more.

That list linda showed had some yokohamas for the same price as hankooks. I wonder what those are like thats a better brand.

Yes, They will match on line pricing - AND do NOT let them charge you for shipping. They will be shipping them from their warehouse store at not charge.

If your a good negotiator, you can save $200 - $300 on a set of 7.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto