Mine is gone too! I tried to actually use it last summer, I put a plastic kids wagon up there, tried to secure it and ended up almost pulling out the mounting... :) (i kept the ladder though)

"After" pictures will be along soon. Its too hot to walk down to the motorhome right now. (76 degrees!) Hot for here, anyway...

I took the ladder off years ago when I mangled it backing into something. I'll replace it when I think I need it, like when we go on an extended trip somewhere. Right now, at home, I just use a section of extension ladder if I have to get up there.

John

• 2 months later...

Sounds like your exposed to a lot of marine type thinking. So treat your SR like a boat. http://www.frugal-mariner.com/Insulating.html

When I redo the roof next year, I too will be removing the roof rack, and the air wing the person put on my roof before I bought it. It's like 8 to 9 attach points that have globs of caulk heaped on them, and places where water will eventually find it's way in. Roof Air will be gone, roof rack gone, wing gone, the huge vent escape hatch replaced with solid skylight. Smooth, sleek, no more leaks!

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Wow! I've been actually thinking of ADDING a Roof Rack and Ladder to my 91 Dolphin. I'm probably going to remove the almost never used brand new roof a/c unit that I just had to have when I bought my toy. I want to remove all unnecessary weight so I can carry/haul other items (Motor Scooter, Kayak, Mountain Bike, etc).

Can't afford a new Ladder or Rack. Any of you guys interested in selling or trading the one or ones you removed?

Great Forum/Group here. Been lurking for years. First post.

• 1 month later...

Hi...I am a newbie to this forum and everything about RVing.....LOL.....trucks, mechanics, electrical systems, etc. I just bought a 1986 Toyota Granville, 35,000 miles and will retire Jan 5. I am a solo woman RVer with my 3 dogs.

My question, do I need a ladder? The previous owner took it off and threw it away. I was also interested in some sort of luggage rack as my three dogs have a lot of stuff. High maintenance divas and one rowdy boy.........Are they not recommended?........first post

I meant the rack and ladder, not the dogs.

Ours were both damaged and the mountings leaking so we had them all removed. I think it looks much better. The roofs are not strong in these rigs, but I like the idea of access so I am gonna get me one of these from santa, http://www.amazon.com/Telesteps-1400E-10-5-Feet-Extension-Ladder/dp/B003YJLFCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1384030698&sr=1-1&keywords=Telesteps+1400+ladder . Have used the telesteps at work and they are great, be wary of most of the cheaper imitations. Not nearly as well built, the one at the hardware store I looked at for less than half the price was unstable enough that I would not use it at all.

Bonus is you will have access to the entire roof and will not have the some idiot trying to climb up "for a better view", stores easily in the back of the closet.

john

PatP,

I really don't know why the various manufacturers put the roof racks on their rigs. The racks were made of cheap, thin-wall aluminm tubing that was just screwed into the roof metal but not into any wood underneath the metal. Over time, many of them start to leak, ruining the internal roof structure and staining the ceiling inside. Even tying something as light as an aluminum folding chair to the roof rack was usually too much for the rack because driving at highway speeds was too much wind pressure for the little screws holding the roof rack on. Personally I think the roofs are built just strong enough to hold their own weight and nothing else.

You probably don't need a ladder but that's just my opinion. A ladder is handy when cleaning and maintaining the roof but I just use a regular step ladder to get up there since I only coat my roof with that white goo once every two years or so. If you really want a ladder, some kind of folding/telescoping ladder like Vanman suggested might be a better choice.

John

• 1 year later...

I have heard to avoid older RVs with roof racks because of how prone to leaking they are. I am lucky my Dolphin's roof rack doesnt leak because it was never used, but the material is so weak my original thought to put a Yakima Rocketbox up there seems like it would rip it off. The former owner was of a much larger build and the ladder is hanging by a thread. I thought of trying to salvage the ladder but after hearing this I would rather have peace of mind than a roof rack that doesnt even work.

Does anyone know of the Toy mo-ho roof rack being of good use? Would a rocket box be too much? Otherwise mine is gone once its time to re-seal the roof.

I have the factory rack and have two Yakima cross bars. It's well built I put kayaks on it. Mines solid, and well sealed. I removed my ladder that was leaking and bolted it back on with a metal backing diamond plate. Rivets were a poor design.

I loved my roof rack. Loved is because I sold that motorhome. My new motorhome does not have a roof rack and would like to put one on. We used the rack and ladder for crab traps all the time. It never leaked and was solid.

post-1172-0-69034000-1426609822_thumb.jp

I have the factory rack and have two Yakima cross bars. It's well built I put kayaks on it. Mines solid, and well sealed. I removed my ladder that was leaking and bolted it back on with a metal backing diamond plate. Rivets were a poor design.

My roof rack is in pretty bad shape. Several old layers of sealant just gobbed on every mount and feels pretty flimsy. I think it has been a bit over used and feeling like better safe than sorry at this point... Its probably coming off when I do the roof.

Thinking some custom cross bars that mount on the side for the rocketbox and save just the ladder. I need to do that ladder mod you did badly! How do you do that? Attach the diamond plate to studs then tag the ladder onto that with some heavy screws? Can it be done without any welding equipment?

It seems like (with my dolphin and others I'm seeing) that the ladder is just tagged into the sheet metal and that's why its falling off for me. I tried just ramming some longer/ stronger screws into the old mounting point and doesn't grab anything.

tumblr_nldg6yzehD1upzapco5_400.jpg

tumblr_nldg6yzehD1upzapco4_400.jpg

tumblr_nldg6yzehD1upzapco3_540.jpg

tumblr_nldg6yzehD1upzapco1_400.jpg

tumblr_nldg6yzehD1upzapco2_400.jpg

Thinking might try to salvage mine and use it for solar set up. Anyone put solar on their roof rack?

My roof rack holds my 2- 100 watt soler panels so I like mine.

That's awesome! Do you have a picture?

I can't get my cam to work today, but all I did was take 4- 1 1/2 inch alum. angle and held it on the bottom of roof rack tubes with u-bolts then bolted on the solar panels to them . Works well and so far the wind did not ripped them off going down the road in strong winds.

Newbie (previous lurker) so please excuse any faux paus but how are you going to mount roof cross bars on the side? Commercial product or fabricating your own? I need to mount cross bars to carry my SOT kayak. Can't think of anywhere else to put it as I have motorcycle carrier on the back hitch( from this forum) and bicycle strapped to my ladder. I had planned to fabricate aluminum plates and thru bolt them to the sides but would interfere with my bag awning. Another great idea I got from this forum. Looking for simple solutions with least possibility for LEAKS. I've still fixing the ones that came with the Toyo via PO. Thankfully they weren't as bad as some I've seen on this forum. Thanks for any assistance. If it helps mine is a 91 Dolphin.

Newbie (previous lurker) so please excuse any faux paus but how are you going to mount roof cross bars on the side? Commercial product or fabricating your own? I need to mount cross bars to carry my SOT kayak. Can't think of anywhere else to put it as I have motorcycle carrier on the back hitch( from this forum) and bicycle strapped to my ladder. I had planned to fabricate aluminum plates and thru bolt them to the sides but would interfere with my bag awning. Another great idea I got from this forum. Looking for simple solutions with least possibility for LEAKS. I've still fixing the ones that came with the Toyo via PO. Thankfully they weren't as bad as some I've seen on this forum. Thanks for any assistance. If it helps mine is a 91 Dolphin.

It would be a custom fab job. Kind of just a pipe dream, need to see how much structure I can find before any big decisions. Leaning more toward saving the stock one and see what I need from there. No awning on mine but that's a good point if I wanted to get one. Best of luck to you!

Thinking of thru bolting 4 eye bolts and using racket straps on side up high. large washers inside and out . won't interfere with awning as boat won't be up top while awning is up. A couple of foam pads to keep the kayak off the roof......

For other cargo needs my dolphin has a reinforced receiver tube I bought from harbor freight a platform cargo carrer I only cary light tables or my 18 gallon thetferd dump tote. on it but my hitch was heavy rebuilt by a PO .