Common breakdown parts to carry with on road trips

I have a small Rubbermaid box that I take with me when I do any long road trips that I put things that you would need for your truck to run/drive and get you home

Tools are a whole different thread, this is for those have to take parts.

Some of the items I bring along depend on the vehicle as well (like a rear third member when I take my 4x4s) but mostly consists of the basics like an alternator, fuel pump, extra ECU (these can be found CHEAP) starter, spare relay, fuel pump relay for those vehicles with EFI, water pump, hoses, hose clamps, sometimes a rear differential, and fully charged 2nd 12 volt battery(not in my RV- it has an extra already).

Some of these items can help get you back home but some of these items cant be found everywhere without a long wait or paying seriously jacked up rates for .

If this seems like some expensive parts to carry consider going to a local junkyard and they will give you a deal on a group of things off of your model year- its much more expensive being at the business end of a tow truck out of town then @ the mercy of the local vulture mechanics in travel areas we frequent.

ujoints wouldnt be a bad idea but not everyone can do them roadside for 1, and 2, I have NEVER seen a Toyota Ujoint fail or break, yes I have seen them begin to "squeak" when they need to be replaced ( they can be driven on for miles and miles when they begin to squeak) but never broken. The things I have done with a Toyota Ujoint, is far worse than any of you will ever do to your RVs for sure.

These are comparable to 1 ton (real full size 1 ton, not the toyota 1 ton truck) ujoints (not my opinion but many magazines)

anyone else?

I carry a good set of tools, hoses, fuses, some wire and connectors, and belts. That is about it. I get things in good running order before leaving and hope for the best. If we here doing off road travel it may be different but I rely on a good product doing what it was made for.

I carry a good set of tools, hoses, fuses, some wire and connectors, and belts. That is about it. I get things in good running order before leaving and hope for the best. If we here doing off road travel it may be different but I rely on a good product doing what it was made for.

Then why carry tools? what do plan on fixing without the parts? its great that you can remove your alternator or water pump but who do you get to drive you to the parts store for a part? getting things "in working order" doesnt stop a part from failing- just saying.

maintenance is one thing, but parts wearing out/failing is totally different

I rely on a good product to do what it is made for as well, but I sure in the heck dont want to rely on my shoes to walk after a part fails (as they ALL do)

I dont think anyone can tell when a water pump or alternator is going to quit working while doing "maintenance". good products wear out, period and when they do 99 times out of 100 it wont be in front of your mechanics place.

It reminds me of an old saying that is sooo true, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Why blow your vacation fund paying a mechanic to tow and fix your car when it could have been prevented?

Master Card.

Thats the spirit.

I believe everyone carries a credit card, as long as you dont mind the expense for a tow, repair and down time away from your trip, great.

I think an alternator would get you home much quicker than a credit card when you need an alternator- or you could call a tow truck, wait for it, then wait some more for a repair shop to get it in- heck they may even let you sleep in it while you are waiting, then pay an inflated bill for a crappy rebuilt alternator (or whatever part goes bad)

I guess this thread is for people who want to be a little more self sufficient and get back on the road ASAP, not all of us can spend alot of time on the road.waiting for a tow truck then an appt. and then pay someone for a minor repair we could have done in an hour

If I'm going home I'll charge the battery or take the one out of the coach and go for it. I feel that the motor home will get me there and back, ever try to change an alt on the road with a/c and power steering on a 4 cyl? It's not for the faint of heart. Most problems can be avoided with proper care before you go. It is Murphy's law when some thing breaks down the part you have will not be the one you need. The tool you brought is not the one to remove the bolt. Carrying a upper radiator hose won't do much good for a heater hose leak. Bring an alternator won't help a broken starter. If you take care of your Toy home it will take care of you. A small assortment of hand tools may help you out of a minor problem and not a bad thing to have with you but laying under a broken MH on I95 could be hazard to your well being. Call a wrecker craw inside and take a nap.

Well I don't think any of us need to carry a pumpkin. I carry tools, self fusing tape, bailing wire, Goop, spare filter, LOTS of fuses, hose clamps.

You can drive a long way, if your alternator craps out, on your house battery jumped to the truck battery. A busted water pump not so far, so that may require more thought..

you can somwhat check a water pump wigle the fan should be no play at all if you see the pully wobble at all put on a new pump. TOYOTA that i have usally lasted many thousands of miles . they ARE NOT problamatic like other makes on the four cylinders anyway not like some GM PRODUCTS i have owend a toyota four since 1983 i have averaged 100000 miles before changing . I do not buy any rebuilt water pumps only brand new my DOLPHIN IS MY SEVENTH TOY oTA all fours MANY YEARS AGO going across the vast uninhabited desert of southeren Wy OMING i carred a spare water pump a nd hose and water in my 20r wagen

If I'm going home I'll charge the battery or take the one out of the coach and go for it. I feel that the motor home will get me there and back, ever try to change an alt on the road with a/c and power steering on a 4 cyl? It's not for the faint of heart. Most problems can be avoided with proper care before you go. It is Murphy's law when some thing breaks down the part you have will not be the one you need. The tool you brought is not the one to remove the bolt. Carrying a upper radiator hose won't do much good for a heater hose leak. Bring an alternator won't help a broken starter. If you take care of your Toy home it will take care of you. A small assortment of hand tools may help you out of a minor problem and not a bad thing to have with you but laying under a broken MH on I95 could be hazard to your well being. Call a wrecker craw inside and take a nap.

AC doesnt have anything to do with where the alternator is, thats on the opposite side of the engine and to this day I have NEVER had to do anything with the AC while changing ANY 22R/22RE alternator. maybe a lower radiator hose makes for a headache and if you dont know the trick to that thats your own problem not mine.

If it were to go bad then the warning light comes on and you pull to somewhere safe (you only have an hour to find somewhere if night time, and more if daytime)- pretty simple huh.

Im confused, if laying under a motorhome on the side of the road is so unsafe why would you take a nap in the same motorhome on on the side of the road? under it or in it would be about as dangerous if your vehicle is hit (maybe wear a seat belt while napping perhaps?!) rolleyes.gif

The only reason I would see to be laying under one is replacing a fuel pump or starter (which I forgot to mention is another part to carry) and as everyone knows a fuel pump or starter doesnt go bad while driving, 999 times out of 1000 it goes bad when you go to start it after parking (starter or fuel pump)

Other than that unless you were replacing a tranny (which I dont know anyone to do that roadside or carrys with for that matter) there is no reason to get under any RV roadside.

I am not forcing anyone to carry sh*t, but dont downplay a helpful thread with absurd "scenarios" that are hypothetical and quite off the wall with imaginary break down situations that will never occur.

the reason I carry a third member is that is in a whole different vehicles breakdown kit (4Runner/ or trail truck), yes it is a Toyota 3rd and yes the same third 3rd member will fit your RVs as well. I do off road it and have ALWAYS came back home under its own power.

I currently own 6 different Toyota Landcruisers, 4 runners and pickups.-for business and personal use and one RV (and have owned about 10 other Toyota truck based vehicles over the years). So I do have just a teeny tiny amount of experience with what can and does go out on them. Although well maintained a part will wear out (gasp, even a Toyota part will) I like my trips to go smooth.

I guess none of you were Marines from the whining about preparations/backup plans.

a catchy little motto to live by "Expect the best but prepare for the worst"

Hurricane katrina showed us what things were worth when in a pinch, you couldnt trade 100 master cards, 100 bucks or an once of gold for a bottle of water. think about that for a second.

no cell phone service and broke down (some of the roads some of us travel for relaxation have no service).... even if a place took american express, you wouldnt be able to call them. nice.

yup, you may have a C.B. but then again you get to rely on others... and wait.

I think that there everyone has different comfort levels for the amount of "prevention" that they are comfortable with, just like everyone uses their motor home in a different way (from people who only stay in rv parks to those folks who drive far off the grid)

I am sure that some people on the board are most comfortable with carrying no tools and just having the local mechanic fix it - and that is the correct choice for those people.

And I am sure that some people are most comfortable with all the tools and all the parts they can carry (I think these are the people for which this thread was started) - and that is the correct choice for those people.

I am somewhere in between. I carry a lot of tools and a AAA RV card with a free tow up to 200 miles. So I would get towed to a town, stay in my RV, and wait for the part to come in if the local Autozone didn't have it. That is the best choice for me.

Cheers,

I have to agree with Dolphindriver that everyone has a comfort level that he or she operates on. I try to maintain my '85 Dolphin at a level that allows me to carry a small, select set of tools for minor repairs and call 'er good. I don't go off road and I've never stayed in an RV park yet.

As far as the Marines are concerned, I'm definitely a little confused. What year and model Toyhome did they use?

John

I think that there everyone has different comfort levels for the amount of "prevention" that they are comfortable with, just like everyone uses their motor home in a different way (from people who only stay in rv parks to those folks who drive far off the grid)

I am sure that some people on the board are most comfortable with carrying no tools and just having the local mechanic fix it - and that is the correct choice for those people.

And I am sure that some people are most comfortable with all the tools and all the parts they can carry (I think these are the people for which this thread was started) - and that is the correct choice for those people.

I am somewhere in between. I carry a lot of tools and a AAA RV card with a free tow up to 200 miles. So I would get towed to a town, stay in my RV, and wait for the part to come in if the local Autozone didn't have it. That is the best choice for me.

Cheers,

you are correct on all counts, I am just making a list for people who do work on their own cars and wouldnt mind knowing what parts to carry if they feel comfortable repairing their own cars. I was stranded for a bit in Nevada due to of all things a fuel pump relay. I was able to fix it after calling a friend and narrowing it down and be back on my way. I have AAA as well but my trip wouldnt have been nearly as fun due to being shortened by a trip on the business end of a tow truck then having it taken to the nearest shop 200 miles away.

I have to agree with Dolphindriver that everyone has a comfort level that he or she operates on. I try to maintain my '85 Dolphin at a level that allows me to carry a small, select set of tools for minor repairs and call 'er good. I don't go off road and I've never stayed in an RV park yet.

As far as the Marines are concerned, I'm definitely a little confused. What year and model Toyhome did they use?

John

tools only fix things when you have parts to fix it with. I dont know too many people who adjust their idle or change spark plugs on the road (but then again you would have to carry the spark plugs with you to do that, not just tools) maybe tighten a nut or bolt or screw but then again not too many of those just loosen up and require tightening.

and I am definately a little confused as well. did I say marines drove a toyhome? hmmm no. I am not reading that in any of the above that I wrote, maybe you read something wrong. maybe re-read the above again for your own sake.

If you find it quote it for me on your next post, K?

you are correct on all counts, I am just making a list for people who do work on their own cars and wouldnt mind knowing what parts to carry if they feel comfortable repairing their own cars. I was stranded for a bit in Nevada due to of all things a fuel pump relay. I was able to fix it after calling a friend and narrowing it down and be back on my way. I have AAA as well but my trip wouldnt have been nearly as fun due to being shortened by a trip on the business end of a tow truck then having it taken to the nearest shop 200 miles away.

tools only fix things when you have parts to fix it with. I dont know too many people who adjust their idle or change spark plugs on the road (but then again you would have to carry the spark plugs with you to do that, not just tools) maybe tighten a nut or bolt or screw but then again not too many of those just loosen up and require tightening.

and I am definately a little confused as well. did I say marines drove a toyhome? hmmm no. I am not reading that in any of the above that I wrote, maybe you read something wrong. maybe re-read the above again for your own sake.

If you find it quote it for me on your next post, K?

Chill out, MAXX. My comment about the Marines was just a joke. Some of my best friends were Marines...

John

25 years old, there are somethings that should be replaced, simply because of their age. When I replaced these things, I keep the old ones as spares,

Water pump and thermostat. Belts and hoses. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap. These things will probably never be needed, but they take up a small amount of space tucked away in one of those cubbyholes.

The usual assortment of hand tools (I could probably overhaul an engine if I had to)

Of course, if worst comes to worst, I carry Good Sams road service, it'll tow me regardless of the distance (A must if you plan to drive to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska)

As others have mentioned, Prevention is the way to go, Don't wait for components to fail, replace them after a reasonable service life has transpired.

i.e. I'll probably replace the brushes in my Alternator before the summer season starts (also take a look at the front bearing and see how difficult it is to replace it)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Strange that nobody mentioned carrying a spare gas cap. That's about the only vehicle spare I carry.

Strange that nobody mentioned carrying a spare gas cap. That's about the only vehicle spare I carry.

That's funny I'v lost two now it has a small chain attached to the MH.

AC doesnt have anything to do with where the alternator is, thats on the opposite side of the engine and to this day I have NEVER had to do anything with the AC while changing ANY 22R/22RE alternator. maybe a lower radiator hose makes for a headache and if you dont know the trick to that thats your own problem not mine.

If it were to go bad then the warning light comes on and you pull to somewhere safe (you only have an hour to find somewhere if night time, and more if daytime)- pretty simple huh.

Im confused, if laying under a motorhome on the side of the road is so unsafe why would you take a nap in the same motorhome on on the side of the road? under it or in it would be about as dangerous if your vehicle is hit (maybe wear a seat belt while napping perhaps?!) rolleyes.gif

The only reason I would see to be laying under one is replacing a fuel pump or starter (which I forgot to mention is another part to carry) and as everyone knows a fuel pump or starter doesnt go bad while driving, 999 times out of 1000 it goes bad when you go to start it after parking (starter or fuel pump)

Other than that unless you were replacing a tranny (which I dont know anyone to do that roadside or carrys with for that matter) there is no reason to get under any RV roadside.

I am not forcing anyone to carry sh*t, but dont downplay a helpful thread with absurd "scenarios" that are hypothetical and quite off the wall with imaginary break down situations that will never occur.

the reason I carry a third member is that is in a whole different vehicles breakdown kit (4Runner/ or trail truck), yes it is a Toyota 3rd and yes the same third 3rd member will fit your RVs as well. I do off road it and have ALWAYS came back home under its own power.

I currently own 6 different Toyota Landcruisers, 4 runners and pickups.-for business and personal use and one RV (and have owned about 10 other Toyota truck based vehicles over the years). So I do have just a teeny tiny amount of experience with what can and does go out on them. Although well maintained a part will wear out (gasp, even a Toyota part will) I like my trips to go smooth.

I guess none of you were Marines from the whining about preparations/backup plans.

a catchy little motto to live by "Expect the best but prepare for the worst"

Hurricane katrina showed us what things were worth when in a pinch, you couldnt trade 100 master cards, 100 bucks or an once of gold for a bottle of water. think about that for a second.

no cell phone service and broke down (some of the roads some of us travel for relaxation have no service).... even if a place took american express, you wouldnt be able to call them. nice.

yup, you may have a C.B. but then again you get to rely on others... and wait.

Guess you would leave the old belt on the alternator then. Taking a nap in the motor home was a funny. The ideal of removing a gas tank to replace a EFI fuel pump does not sound like much fun on the road to me. In 1960 I started to work as a mechanic and in 1996 decided to get a "clean" job doing electronics work I was a master tech for Toyota for years I do know what breaks on them and can usually get them home but I'm not going to carry a parts department with me they are cramped and heavy enough as it is. My first Toyota was a 1968 Corolla and I recently bought a 2011 Tacoma to replace my 290K mile old Tacoma so I'm some what familiar with them. As far as Katrina goes no matter what I do not have I have two feet and thinking a 50 mile hike would do me good same thing goes out in the willy wags with a dead motor home. No amount of effort can prepare you for every thing the best possible thing you can do is make sure your ride is in good shape before you leave and have faith in the fact that 98% of the time it will get you there and back. If I was heading up the Alcan yes I would carry some spares or at least a good supply of food and water.

MaxxFab--I know that you were writing your list to be helpful. Don't get upset when some of us write our thoughts on things. Like I said, I carry tools, belts, hoses, and some basics. I am not going to pull a trailer full of parts. Unless I tow a complete motorhome, i can't have everything anyway. I am not a mechanic, I can fix basic stuff. Why would I carry everything that you listed if I don't know how to install it anyway.

I buy good stuff and expect it to do its job. I drive a 27 yr old Goldwing because they don't break down very often. I don't carry spare tires, stators, starters, oil pumps. I would need to have a chase vehicle to carry all of that stuff. If I was doing that, I would ride a Harley. Ever notice that every group of harley riders has a chase truck. Ever see a chase truck behind a group of Goldwings? (That comment will start a fight.)

I enjoy driving my old Toyota MH because it is reliable and well made. I don't beat it, I take very good care of it. and expect it to get me home. If I happen to break down, I guess I will enjoy my time wherever I am and get back ont eh road when I can.

MaxxFab--I know that you were writing your list to be helpful. Don't get upset when some of us write our thoughts on things. Like I said, I carry tools, belts, hoses, and some basics. I am not going to pull a trailer full of parts. Unless I tow a complete motorhome, i can't have everything anyway. I am not a mechanic, I can fix basic stuff. Why would I carry everything that you listed if I don't know how to install it anyway.

I buy good stuff and expect it to do its job. I drive a 27 yr old Goldwing because they don't break down very often. I don't carry spare tires, stators, starters, oil pumps. I would need to have a chase vehicle to carry all of that stuff. If I was doing that, I would ride a Harley. Ever notice that every group of harley riders has a chase truck. Ever see a chase truck behind a group of Goldwings? (That comment will start a fight.)

I enjoy driving my old Toyota MH because it is reliable and well made. I don't beat it, I take very good care of it. and expect it to get me home. If I happen to break down, I guess I will enjoy my time wherever I am and get back ont eh road when I can.

I agree whole heartedly with your post! lmao.

I forgot stop leak. not the greatest to introduce to your system but it does the job to get you back sometimes.

I understand about driving a Toyota for the reliabilty and all (I have owned more than just a toyota RV) I have raced and thrashed some toyotas in my time (and still do) but our RVs are all going on @ least 20 years of age (my sunrader is 30!) so there is going to be the occasional alternator or starter (they dont have a time to change interval like oil or antifreeze!)

Some of the people here talk about self sustaining when they "boondock" so I was just figuring 1. with the age of our cool little RVs it wouldnt be a bad idea for this type of list 2. to be "fully" self sustained outdoors it would be nice to have the peace of mind of a few parts that cant be left behind if you are trying to cover all your bases for self reliance.