Wall a/c unit

check this pic out from geysergazer... http://toyotamotorho...album&album=125 ....the 3rd pic in the top row...

looks like a good way to have A/c without the big roof unit...a small 5,000 btu wall unit would run on a 1000 watt generator ...I plan on doing a lot of boondocking and will only have a 1000 watt geny with me...plus I could get rid of the roof A/C and put in a fantastic fan in its place, and wont hit my head on the A/C anymore!

I was looking at some small trailers at the RV show, and they use a window unit.

The back of the unit is almost flush with the outside, with a nice cover over it.

Window units usually draw their condenser air in from the sides, then blow it out the back.

The units appeared to be getting their air from what looked like a Refrigerator chimney. so I'm guessing the unit slides into a cavity that has a lot of open area on the sides, This open area cavity extends up to the roof.

The roof looked exactly like a refrigerator chimney, in fact. the little trailer I looked at had the exact same "Camco" universal refrigerator vent cover for the air conditioner that I bought for my refrigerator a couple months ago.

On the inside of the trailer, the AC unit was mounted beside the hanging cabinets, and was boxed in to match the cabinets. The face of the AC was just about even with the cabinets, very nice.

Maybe this summer if I get time, I might build this into my Dolphin. The major work would be building the box that the AC would fit into, and cutting a hole in the roof for the air intake, and a hole in the side for the exhaust. I'm guessing this would be a little more work than a rooftop unit, but about 1/3 the cost.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

our 1978 has no roof air as we do not always need air and to save money we bought a 5000 btu wall air conditioner for a little over 100 dollars. we put ours in the front cab window we made a table to fit on over the window sill, made a panel of lexan to cover the window, slip it on and velcro to the door. works great for 125 dollars. we take it out and store in the back to move. i was wondering if anyone else had tried this? i love this group thanks i do not have much computor experience. Thanks for your patience

Edited by 5Toyota

5Toyota;

Great idea.

Also, There was discussion on the Yahoo Forum about using one of the small Portable units. These units exhaust the hot air outside via something like a dryer hose. The condensate water is evaporated and exhausted with the hot air.

In this case, you could make a small window adapter for the passanger window, and exhaust the hot air out that window. Move the Passenger seat all the way forward, and put the AC unit on the back of the Pax seat.

Something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/4sj9k6u

One of the nice things about this option, when your not using the MH, you can use the Air Conditioner in the house,shop, or garage.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

When Derek posted the links to the Australian RV's one picture showed the inside left wall, it showed a wall mounted AC unit. I searched, but can not find that same rv, (Some lucky person must of bought it) I did find another, but the unit is not as clearly shown... Also i can not see any vents where it should be on the outside picture...

I wish I were there... just to see...

I think this idea is great! Waiter, go for it so we can coppy what you do!! :ThumbUp:

SideAC.jpg

tacomaRV.jpg

Bunny; If you make any of the RV shows, look at the smaller trailers, that's where I seen the Window units that are built in. Very nice alternative.

I'm looking into doing this approach, maybe later this summer.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Years ago I saw where some had installed a room AC on the side of a small RV. Mounted it on slide rails so when it was traveling it was flush with the side, actually it had a cover with 4 Dzus fasteners. When parked it pushed out till the side intakes were uncovered and it would run normally.

I would have a hard time giving up my cabinet storage space for a A/C. I like mine on the roof. Its just about center of the coach. Also have roof vents in the bath (fantastic 3 speed) and kitchen area (northern breeze variable speed). I am 5-11 on a good day and clear our A/C in the Gulfstream. But in our past Sunrader, it was possible to konk the head as the Sunraders have lower ceilings. Question is, is the wall mount A/C big enough to keep our RV cool on a 90 degree day sitting in the sun? Most RV A/C's are around 13,000 btu's.

• 9 months later...

I too am looking at installing a room AC as there is a cabinet that needs to be rebuilt and have a few questions. Will a Honda 1000 watt generator power a 5000 BTU room AC? Also, can the Honda generator be be left running while driving down the road like my Onan does so it can power the window AC? Or should the room AC not be used when going down the road??? I live in AZ but work in CA so I drive across the desert frequently. What usually happens is that my Onan shuts off, then there goes the AC, and the dash AC is not working plus it's too hilly to run the cab AC...and them it is a miserable ride....

Thanks, Joyce

are you using a roof air why does the onan stop.i only run my wall air parked on hookup. dont know if a 1000 watt would do it. but the honda is a portable unit.

i doubt if you could find a wall unit the 1000 watt would work with. the start up power needed is too much. i ended up getting a honda 2000. i live in central calif and when 100 degrees outside the 5000 probably wouldn't cool the coach and cab much going down the road. at least the 5000 btu i have wouldn't. if you could direct most of the cooled air into the cab it probably would work, not sure how you might do that. the portable one might be a better solution, then could have it blow into the cab. i'm not familiar with the power needed to run those, i'm sure someone here would know. one other possible solution would be a water type cooler for the cab window. i remember them from 45 years ago and ran across some while looking for air conditioner solutions for my toy. it wouldn't help when camping, but might help going down the road.

I also don't think 5000btu will do anything for you while driving down the road.

But, to answer the questions:

The Honda 1000 might run the 5000 btu unit, My 5000 unit says it draws 4.5 amps, but as others have said, when the compressor first starts, it draws a lot more (probably double that) for the start up period of a second or two.

Heres a link to how I installed my 5000btu window unit in my Dolphin:

Install Window A/C Unit

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

There are pics somewhere on this site of a ac unit installed so it sits above the fridge. House ac units need to drain and he put in drainage tube back where the cooling unit is.

LS

check this pic out from geysergazer... http://toyotamotorho...album&album=125 ....the 3rd pic in the top row...

looks like a good way to have A/c without the big roof unit...a small 5,000 btu wall unit would run on a 1000 watt generator ...I plan on doing a lot of boondocking and will only have a 1000 watt geny with me...plus I could get rid of the roof A/C and put in a fantastic fan in its place, and wont hit my head on the A/C anymore!