I haven't had a chance to dig into this much yet, but I'm just looking for some likely problem areas. This 3.0 is in my 91 Warrior with 83K miles, which I've owned for two years. I do not know if the scheduled valve adjustment was ever done (but I doubt it). Last year, I did the T-belt, water pump, and installed new plugs and wireset, and it drove fine after that.

Basically, the last few times I've taken it out, there's initially been a lot of "missing" and hesitation so that it's pretty difficult to get up to speed. Then, after awhile, things seem to improve. Last weekend, we drove for about 10 miles at around 40-50mph while the problem continued; then, I got on I-44 (crossing my fingers) and seemed to do pretty well after that—drove for the next hour at 65mph+ without much difficulty and no hesitation.

What's this sound like to you? :)

You could have some bad gasoline, or water in the fuel.

Lucas, makes a great gas treatment you just add to your tank. Will clean the injectors at the same time.

Worth a shot.

I always recommend a code check. Could find faulty oxygen sensor or other easily fixed things. Beyond that you really need to have those valves checked, adjusted. Burnt valve could definitely cause poor running. And then there's the head gasket. If it's never been done according to the special service campaign from Toyota it could be failing. Takes some coercion but they are still doing those for free. Info is here including vin numbers covered.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftoyotamotorhome.org%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dattach%26section%3Dattach%26attach_id%3D3864&ei=pw0RUpfOBoagigLxtIDwCg&usg=AFQjCNEO5ZfE87ouQz6YEr8jnd6fX_0IRg&sig2=ou-jBMVhUlCd3_VgILtC3A

You need to call Toyota customer service to see if yours has ever been done. Make sure you refer to it correctly. It is a Special Service campaign NOT a recall

Linda S

The code system is pretty rudimentary and should set a check engine light if a code is stored but valves yes and a head gasket too.

Thanks, everyone. 

HG was done years ago as part of the special service campaign (I verified this w/Toyota before buying the Warrior). No CEL's on the dash.

It hasn't been driven much in the last year because it was needing a major cabover repair. I did start it up and run it for 10-15min, every few weeks.

I think I will do a fuel system cleaning with the 3M kit, which has worked well for me on other vehicles, and see if that helps at all. And, yes, I need to plan on the valve adjustment in the near future (did that job on my Celica's 5SFE a few years back, so I have some idea what's involved).

Newer fuel filter????

one easy thing to check is the hose going to PCV valve.   If it is disconnected, you will get some of the symptoms you describe - ask me how I know!  LOL

It is on the passenger side, about 2/3 of the way back underneath the edge of the plenum - pcv is in top of rocker arm cover, hose goes from plenum to PCV.  It is hard to see let alone get your hands on.  If I was there I would check it with my hand.  If the hose is off and you put your finger over the end of the hose you should notice immediate improvement.  Note that the disconnected hose scenario will have noise in that area too.

Did some fuel system cleaning and cleaned the TB and throttle valve. Replaced fuel filter and also dist. cap and rotor (w/Toyota parts). Verified idle speed and timing. No improvement that I can see; still noticeable missing/hesitation under acceleration.

Guess I'll doublecheck the PCV valve and hose too, like Dan mentioned (thanks!).

Edited by Ctgriffi

On 11/8/2016 at 6:46 PM, Maineah said:

Disconnect the vac hose to the EGR and see what happens.

Exactly right—EGR valve was causing all the trouble. I pulled it off and ended up making a steel plate to cap the opening on the plenum. Motor idles near perfect now, pulls strong and smooth up to highway speed with no hesitation. Good stuff, thank you, Maineah! :D

13 hours ago, Ctgriffi said:

Exactly right—EGR valve was causing all the trouble. I pulled it off and ended up making a steel plate to cap the opening on the plenum. Motor idles near perfect now, pulls strong and smooth up to highway speed with no hesitation. Good stuff, thank you, Maineah! :D

If you live in a state that emission tests it will flunk Nox but other than that is should have no effect.