Another Sunrader 4x4

CMooreMotors

Are you joking.?

60K for a Toyota?

This should be in the for sale section.

Hope a moderator deletes this thread.

It is not here to sell, it is here to view another 4x4 Sunrader with some very handy modifications, It is now in New Zealand and right hand drive etc so no good for the USA but very good for NZ roads and off roads.

6 minutes ago, CMooreMotors said:

It is not here to sell, it is here to view another 4x4 Sunrader with some very handy modifications, It is now in New Zealand and right hand drive etc so no good for the USA but very good for NZ roads and off roads.

Funny you didn't state that in your topic section.

we'll let the moderator(s) decide.

3 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Still the wrong section.

This belongs in the for sale section.

Just making light, no offense intended.  Just remembering how all the guys from Aus and NZ would complain that everything cost double there.

Looks good right here. Its not like any of us are going fly off to NZ and buy it, then ship it here. Need more mechanical info with more diesel pics. Cause there are some here who would love a 3L turbo diesel and have the skill to do the job..

Engine and box are from a 95 Hilux surf KZN130 so is a 1KZ 3000cc turbo diesel, the same surf was used for the rhd conversion parts changing complete firewall etc, rear diff mod was factory diff with the ends chopped and landcruiser fully floating rear hubs welded in and new axles modified for the job, I would never trust all that leverage on a diff of a dual wheel system where the axle takes the weight so we always change the rear diff, it just got LED lighting throughout, new solar panel, (flexi 180w panel) new oven, all the outside marker lights have been changed for LED. I will update the pics later when she is closer to finished. I am sure it will sell for less than $60k but why start with a low ball price when people will still offer even lower prices. The right person will love this camper even if overpriced.

I like it!  interesting truck too....he calls it a HiLux but it looks more like a US Tacoma altho those weren't intro'd till much later.  and i'll bet it's nose heavy as hell with a 6 cyl turbodiesel and 2 batteries under hood.  altho the $ is getting into Sportsmobile territory.................at current exchange rate of 1.445 NZD to 1 USD

41 minutes ago, payaso del mar said:

I like it!  interesting truck too....he calls it a HiLux but it looks more like a US Tacoma altho those weren't intro'd till much later.  and i'll bet it's nose heavy as hell with a 6 cyl turbodiesel and 2 batteries under hood.  altho the $ is getting into Sportsmobile territory.................at current exchange rate of 1.445 NZD to 1 USD

The front is another change we made, the factory front looked a bit plain so we gave it the surf front and guards,

Still a 4 cylinder not a 6cyl

For those of us who don't speak Toyota Diesel A 1KZ is 130 or 145 hp @3600 rpm and 253 lb-ft torque @ 2000 rpm. Sure would work fine in most "normal" Toys here.

I too enjoy seeing these Sunraders from across the ocean. Have to wonder how many were made. It's a beautiful rig. Thank you for sharing it with us. Fred in the world of fully self contained overland vehicles 60 grand is pocket change. A similarly equipped Earth Roamer or Tiger would cost 150 grand and up. My friend Dave's Sunrader was in an accident and the insurance appraiser appraised his at something like 45 grand.

Linda S

150 and waaaay up.  the "small" Earthroamers (built on F550 chassis) start at about 350K, and go up from there as you add goodies. the bigger ones on the F650 are in the range of 500-750 and up.  even Sportsmobiles (E350 with poptop, premium 4WD conversion, and furniture) often fetch 30-60 used and are close to 100 new.

9 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I'm going to guess that it's more a case of bolting Surf sheet metal to the original Toyota Pickup.

I would guess they put the coach on a 4wd surf.  

Interesting for sure but, I'm just not seeing "6 foot headroom throughout camper", unless the floor got dropped somehow. Could be possible though, I guess.  That's a healthy looking spacer on the roof of the cab.  From the side, the height-scale looks just like any 18' coach.  What's the little "thingee" on the tip / front of the passenger-side fender?  Looks too small for a useful mirror. Also, what I'm wondering is, what it weighs in at ? I've seen large differences in weights of 4X4 Raders as reported by owners over the years. Could be drive-train mods, I guess.

TG

really is an impressive build.  I bet most everyone here would love to see lots more pix of it.  I doubt anyone here is realistically in the market for a vehicle that would be close to 70K by time you shipped and dutie'd it, but we'd love to admire and learn from your ingenuity........

I have built this one to keep myself happy, the factory 2.8 diesel engines were only just OK, but these 3000cc turbo diesel engines really move and i like to have that extra power when i want to use it.

For a mere 22 grand there is a company in the states that will swap in a brand new 3L turbo diesel for you.