Looking For Experienced Confidence

ann

Like many ideas I have, once I commit, I question "whatever was I thinking"?! Example: 1984 Toyota Escaper. I have some lofty trips in mind - Chico, Ca to Seattle - Chico to Mesa, AZ, Chico to Geneva, NY, etc, etc. But is it really a good idea to push my old Escaper like that? It has 87,000 miles on a 4 cyl 22RE engine with automatic transmission, good tires, new battery, radiator hoses, valve adjustment, all appliances and generator work, the bed is comfy, I figured about 14 mpg last time I checked, but is this more of a 200 mile triper, rather than 2000 mile triper? I'm sure that this is a difficult question to answer given that it's impossible for anyone out there to really know what condition it's in, but.......what do ya'all think? One concern - maybe my biggest, is that when I climb hills, it bogs way down - 10-20 mph - requiring that I put it in 2nd or low gear. Is this normal? Some of the posts that I have read on this forum indicate that some of you are flying up the hills?

thanks! Ann

An 86 makes a huge difference as far as safety. Lots of the old ones still have the bad axle but 86 axles are good. Have you had your rig tuned up and valves adjusted. Will increase your performance quite a bit. If your headed up into the mountains yes they do start to bog down and downshifting and taking it easy is the only way to go. Trust me. No one here is flying down the road. As far as driving long trips some of the people on this site have driven similar vehicle's to Alaska with no major problems. Go for it

Linda S

Read you post again and you have had it taken care of mechanically. Your good to go

Ann, whatever it is: a general rule is not to "lug" your drive train...Don' keep it in gears higher than you feel comfortable...Yes, you will climb hills in the slow lanes... use 2nd or 1st if you must.....keep your pedal from the metal .........Down shift when you feel it needs it...This is an acquired feel that you will soon learn, if you already haven't. Make sure that your 4 way flashers are working........Don't pull out into traffic under full throttle, wait for a chance to pull out when you can allow your trans to shift....what I'm trying to say is ..........don't allow your trans to shift gears under full throttle ....ease up a bit during the shift until the next gear is applied then throttle away.. Your trans will live longer by driving this way.....And you will be happy.......

Most drivers will accelerate a bit heavy when they see a hill coming up or at least try to be on top of all road conditions. Watch your gauges...

Never fuel up at the foot of a large mountain :-)......or you will be in low gear until the summit..........Good Luck, Happy Trails & most of all, have FUN................Donnie

I love you guys/gals! Your comments are exactly what I needed. Donnie, thanks for the great advice on how to handle the transmission - Linda and Zach, your "experienced confidence" builds mine - Fear is our worst enemy, right? I will do everything within my control to ensure that Dolores (I named her after a line in Paul Simon's "Slip Sliding Away") is as ready as she will ever be before I venture out. Think I'll take one more short trip from Chico to Mendocino to see if Dolores behaves herself before I head up to Seattle via Hwy 1, and then.........slow is hugely under-rated. Now that I think of it, I recently was ruminating about how to make time slow down - I think Dolores is the answer. Ann

Is your love for her that overpowering?? :)

Highway 1...I didn't really enjoy it. Let me know what you think. It was just too curvy for my camper. It was exactly the kind of curves that make the camper creak, lean too far too each side, and start dumping things out of the cupboards. But mine might be a little "looser" than yours.

I've been heading up the coast over the last month, and just got to Seattle. I've been sticking with 101, and only occasionally I5 when I don't have any other choice.

Ann, don't let the what ifs stop you. I have been traveling in my 87 Escaper for the last 3 months. I started in Tampa, FL and am typing this from a Mcdonalds in Wasco, Oregon around 3,000 miles from home. My Escaper has been awesome the entire time, but I would expect it to considering I built the entire motor before leaving and tuned up just about every single other system in the truck. My problems so far have been over heating from the radiator the last owner put in it being a cheap one, not efficient enough to cool the truck. I changed the radiator out in a Walmart parking lot somewhere in Wyoming with a high performance radiator I had ordered and waiting for me when I got to the city. I have had one flat tire which I patched on location. My generator exhaust came apart and the generator was running rough so I put a new muffler on it, and a new carb somewhere in Wyoming as well. The only thing I could not do was climb Pikes Peak and that was dumb on my part considering I have 400 pounds of motorcycle strapped to my back bumper.

If you or your traveling partners are not mechanical handy, remember the mechanics of these RVs are simple old Toyota pick up trucks. Motors do not get much more simple than a Toyota 22RE. Just about any mechanic can fix these things and parts are plentiful. Just remember never take it to an RV only place (camper world, etc), these places charge absolutely insane prices and usually are booked up for a few months before they will even look at your rig.

I have not hit any hills other than Pikes peak that I could not climb, like everyone has said, drop it down to a low gear, put your flashers on, and chug along.

Like many ideas I have, once I commit, I question "whatever was I thinking"?! Example: 1984 Toyota Escaper. I have some lofty trips in mind

I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere as far as the engineering goes. My concern would be the condition of the major moving parts. 14 MPG is normal as is the big slow-down on steep hills. If I were going to drive any substantial distances in a Toyota RV - I'd want to know the wheel bearings were all good front and back, along with the brakes. The wheel bearing on both ends require maintenance and would be a very difficult fix on the road somewhere. I bought a 1988 two years ago with 145,000 miles on it. The previous owner had never checked the rear wheel bearings since he bought it new. First thing I did is take the rear bearings out, check them, and grease them. That along with new seals, brakes, wheel cylinders. The parts were cheap. Main issue is labor if not doing yourself. Most big trucks with full-floating rears self-lube from the gear-oil reservoir. The Toyota is an odd-ball and the bearings are sealed and packed with grease. I would not drive any Toyota RV anywhere without checking the bearings unless I had an accurate service history on it. One nice thing though. So far [- every Toyota FF rear axle I've had apart leaked internally and that allowed gear oil to get into the bearings and prolong their life. On my 1988 - the original grease was long gone but the bearings were full of gear oil (which is not part of the design). So all was fine. Mine has 145,000 and I'm heading out west soon - from NY. We'll see what happens.

Thank you, kind, generous, and confidently experienced compatriots! Taking the time to write a thoughtful and very helpful response is so appreciated! I sensed there was more to my overpowering love for Dolores than just how darn cute she is! Through her I have discovered all of you. Proud to be a part of this "going slow movement". Anyway, the suggestions for routes to follow north to Seattle (avoid hwy 1) rekindle my memory of traveling that route more than a few times before. It is full of curves, for sure - maybe 101 better, with a jaunt now and then over to the coast. Not familiar with 15, but will check that out. Corbin, which route through Oregon are you referring to? and much appreciation for the apps recommendations, and repair shop in Seattle- so very cool- again, thanks! How smart and resourceful we are to tap into this wealth of experience!

I've got some great tips on what to ask my mechanic to check out prior to disappearing with Dolores. I've already experienced the shake, rattle and roll that takes place while navigating various rough roads, and the understandable coming apart of things that have a few years on them. A good and frequent inspection of everything seems like good practice, too. I'm getting pretty exciting about venturing out, which is sometimes the best part of the journey.

Ann

Proud to be a part of this "going slow movement".

The "going slow" part is what scared me the most about switching to a Toyota RV. I was used to travelling at 75-80 MPH with my diesel truck and slide-on camper. My wife was often asking me to slow down and asking "what my hurry was." Then I read a blog-book written by a guy who was a "type A" high-speed driver. He wrote about the change he went through when he switched to a Toyota. His story convinced me that just maybe - I could change a learn to enjoy the ride at lower speeds. Well - easy way to say it is - we love it. We now plan our trips to take all the back roads we can and get to see a lot more. I'm actually finding it fun to drive slow. Only part that is NOT fun is when climbing a long mountain hill at 30 MPH with just one lane and having a bunch of angry people behind me. My diesel truck with camper got 17 MPG @ 75 MPH but the diesel fuel often cost 50 cents more per gallon then gas. Now with the Toyota, we're getting 14-15 MPG at a slower speed and enjoying it more. Takes us longer to get from point A to point B - but we camp more along the way.

Don't try to race any thing smaller than a loaded log truck and you'll be all right.

Ann, I want to second Karen's tip on Evergreen RV. I've been there several times in the last 20 years and they are very good and helpful.

By the way, take the coast road, you'll love it. And the route 15 mentioned is actually Interstate 5, a boring road with several long hill climbs between California and Seattllle.

John

Like many ideas I have, once I commit, I question "whatever was I thinking"?! Example: 1984 Toyota Escaper. I have some lofty trips in mind - Chico, Ca to Seattle - Chico to Mesa, AZ, Chico to Geneva, NY, etc, etc. But is it really a good idea to push my old Escaper like that? It has 87,000 miles on a 4 cyl 22RE engine with automatic transmission, good tires, new battery, radiator hoses, valve adjustment, all appliances and generator work, the bed is comfy, I figured about 14 mpg last time I checked, but is this more of a 200 mile triper, rather than 2000 mile triper? I'm sure that this is a difficult question to answer given that it's impossible for anyone out there to really know what condition it's in, but.......what do ya'all think? One concern - maybe my biggest, is that when I climb hills, it bogs way down - 10-20 mph - requiring that I put it in 2nd or low gear. Is this normal? Some of the posts that I have read on this forum indicate that some of you are flying up the hills?

thanks! Ann

Ann,

I'll chime in here.

Glenda and I figure 200 miles per tank. A pleasant day up the coast is one tank per day max.

If you went from Chico to the coast via route 36, you'd be in that range.

We go uphill at maybe 40 mph. We would cruze at 55. This is for route 36. We go as slow as 35 crossing the Rockies, but throw it into neutral and coast down the hills at 65 (interstate). Ours is a 4 speed manual tranny.

We push to 70 mph at times. Like on I-5 thru California.

I-5 in OR or WA I'd do 65.

Long trips??? Every year we drive from Fortuna to Nashville, which is about 5000 miles round trip. We do three tanks per day and just enjoy the journey. We stop at KOA campgrounds for the nights. We hit shopping malls so Glenda can shop while I take naps or cook hamburgers, and walk the dog.

If I was retired and had more time, I'd do coast to coast one tank per day.

We come home tired, but later are ready to go again.

I'd say your rig sounds like it could do all of what you want. But, it is an old vehicle... if something breaks... it's a toyota and you can get it fixed.

great, Great, and furthermore, GREAT! I haven't figured out yet how to respond to individual posts, if that is even possible, or that is bothering anyone? Enjoying the community here, and maybe it would be unkind, or rude to not include the group? I guess if anyone doesn't want to read or respond, they are free to make that choice- so, I LOVE the shift from living in the fast lane, to experiencing the sheer beauty of going slow, and deliberately finding ways to do so! The backroads - yes! only hesitation (sorry, fear again creeping in) is that fewer people/resources means more difficultly getting help if I get stuck. Maybe I should consider taking a class in general toyota repair? I am encouraged, again, by being assured that because Dolores is a Toyota, she may be healed from any injury. I always think that if one sets themselves up for getting in trouble by not being prepared, you kind of asked for it. I'd love to read the blog-book written by the Type A high speed driver - is there a link? I just retired, and so even more acutely aware of how fast life goes by, so Dolores is a true blessing in my life. I also have a 12 year old black Lab named Jed, who has always been my greatest teacher, and just knows what lesson is needed at any given time. He is now teaching, and demonstrating for me, the tao of slow. Why do we forget that the universe provides exactly what is needed at exactly the right time? Learning to trust that truth is something both Dolores and Jed model for me every moment. Fortuna is a lovely part of the world, and close to one of my favorite haunts, Ferndale, which I plan to hunker down in for a spell, soon. I love camping at the Fair Grounds there - I believe that's the only campground in the area, but as it is inexpensive and within walking distance to town, not to mention as sweet as can be with the sound of cattle lowing and the smells of farm and ocean wafting through the cosmos - well, I think I just talked myself into getting there sooner than later. And Hwy 1, albeit windy (and sometimes windy) -- how's that for a pair of homographic heteronyms :clown2: will not be casually overlooked.

Nashville - oh yes, another destination, as I have composed more songs over the last 20 years than you can shake a stick at (of course, I humbly profess that many are definitely hit material). Who knows, maybe there's a market for a making a star out of a grey haired deva (the deva part is a stretch), but I think that the world needs reminders that old age is a great time to be alive, with endless possibilities, hindered only by ones lack of imagination, or having succumbed to our cultures emphasis on the high desirability of youth, as defined as any age under 30? So, what's the best route to Nashville Fred?

It's all good,, Ann

post-7808-0-82382900-1404833780_thumb.jp

Like this?

DSCN0393.jpg

EDIT. Not sure why the picture is distorted. Here's the original:-

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad212/waynosworld/1971%20datsun%20521/DSCN0393.jpg

That might be a good match the rear tires do look a bit squished.

Life's an adventure, hit the road! If something breaks, fix it and learn from the experience. I guarantee driving slower is more rewarding. You may need to add an hour onto your google maps routes!

You can definitely learn some of the basic mechanics needed. I don't know your mechanical skill level, but mine started at zero! Before getting my Toyota (87 Sunrader) the only thing I knew how to do was change a tire. My reasoning for getting a 4 cylinder was actually this forum, which convinced me how easy they were to repair. As soon as I got my baby I started studying the engine - bought a manual, opened the hood, and learned what all the parts were. I read through A LOT of the threads here, especially in the Engines section, just to see what people were having problems with and how to fix. I also have a car mechanic who I love, have taken my jeep there for years. I have had several tutorials from them on some basics - they were so amused by a 4 cylinder rv that they now have great fun throwing around ideas with me. I have gone from not knowing what actually happens under the hood when you start an engine to being able to change a spark plug. I don't think I would attempt serious mechanical issues, but this forum is so full of great knowledge that I can look up and issue (or ask a question) and them at least have enough knowledge to feel I'm not being ripped off. And I am learning more and more. I agree, this forum in itself is a reason to get a Toyota! I say go for it. Concern is healthy, fear is over-rated. Go on some small journeys to get your feet wet if need be - you will have a blast. Best of luck.

teach a (wo)man to fish, and set her free. Thanks comrades, for sharing your advice, experience and the link to this fabulous book! What a great opportunity to, not only exercise my brain muscles, thereby hoping to stay cognitively in tact a while longer, but also exercise my freedom to go forth, more prepared to problem solve should murphy's law appear. Before today, when people asked "what are you going to do when you retire?", I had no idea I'd be responding with, "learn a few things about how things work under the hood ". Maybe a metaphor here? Ann

Well if reading works for you. May I recommend "Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintance" . Not so much for the facts but more as a start on the proper attitude for a long distance Toy voyage

So, what's the best route to Nashville Fred?

We always take I-40 because we travel during the colder months. We're coastal people who melt if it gets too warm.

Other routes have been used by us. I-70 heading east into the Rockies is beautiful. The northern routes - like if you were to see Mount Rushmore on the way - is another one.

Go for it!

Ann-If you do not have a tachometer in your Toy RV, it would be a good first adventures at working under the hood. I don't worry about how fast I go up a hill (mountain pass), I just drive at whatever speed my Escaper will comfortably handle. I watch the tach and cruise (poke) along at 3500 to 4500 rpm's in whatever gear the engine can take. If I shift up and start loosing rpm's, I drop it back down a gear and enjoy the scenery. I have never had to put the gas pedal on the floor yet and don't think I ever will. Pounding the pedal down does not always get more speed, sometimes it just works the engine more and heats things up.

I just back from vacation last week and while traveling through South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, & Montana and never had to really hit the gas pedal hard. I did get down to first gear on more than one occasion but the 22RE just turned easily along. We went over several 10,000 ft passes but didn't worry about it. If I had people following for very long, I just pulled over and let them go by. I did notice that some people do not feel comfortable passing even in a passing zone so we pulled over let them get around us.

My Escaper weighs in at just under 6000 pounds loaded, so not many Toys weigh very much more than ours. Make sure that your RV is in good condition and check the age of your tires. After that, get out and enjoy your RV.

I am semi-retired and work a part-time job where I can take whatever time off that I want. My wife and I love state highways, going slow, and stopping to see the unusual. Life is too short to hurry through it. Just wave at the speed demons when they go by.

I do not have a tachometer - that sounds like a good idea. So far I've just been using "the force" to guide me :glare: . I am so encouraged by all of your thoughtful comments based upon your experiences. Nashville is definitely on my bucket list. I dove into the "how to keep your toyota pickup alive" doc last night. It is written in such a way that one does feel as though a friendly mechanic is right there with you. I already have gained more knowledge about what some of those weird looking things are under the hood and why they are there. And I like it :clown2: And the advice the author gives on maintenance is excellent - if, as he reports, 80% of the roadside break downs are due to lack of attention to maintenance, then if all I do is pay attention to maintenance, I'm way ahead of the game. Much appreciation. I look forward to meandering slowly through the remainder of my life with Dolores, and Jed, of course, as long as his big old body will allow. Ann

Ann, as you are "Slip Slidin' Away"...........don't forget to be aware of "The 59th St Bridge"...........be well, Donnie

And the advice the author gives on maintenance is excellent - if, as he reports, 80% of the roadside break downs are due to lack of attention to maintenance, then if all I do is pay attention to maintenance, I'm way ahead of the game.

I would guess that's true. I'm sure luck plays some part in it, but I've broken down on the road once, and had to find a mechanic in the next town once in the last 10 years. One of those times was because of a part I had replaced just a few months earlier, which turned out to be defective. The other was something I had my mechanic replace before this big trip, and they clearly didn't do a very good job...

I have a story from 2010 while on a road trip in Alaska. 1984 Dolphin was the MOHO. 4cyl 4speed. While moseying on my wife said "There's two moose over there." I was able to look because I was only moving along at 35-40 mph. Yes indeed there was two moose in a pond about 1/2 mile off the road. Now you have to understand that when someone sees any wild animal you have to stop and look. Yes the next vehicle traveling the opposite direction was like a rocket. He slammed on the brakes, backed up and said "what are you looking at." We pointed....................

Ah, the treasures we miss when we forget that the destination is now - not somewhere in the future. "Pay attention" - words of wisdom - and our slow rolling Toy carriages allow us the time and space to do just that.

If your traveling with someone, make it a house rule no cell phone or texting while the house is in motion. You never know what is out there. A trip is an adventure take advantage of every part. When your stopped for the night your guest can get caught up in the text world.

A total extra benefit is the driver gets an extra pair of eyes on the road.