Is it worth it?

Don Albright

I have run across a 1990-1994? Dolphin V6 heavy duty axle with about 100k miles. Its been sitting for many years and appears to have a leak in the overhead window. Other than that is looks pretty straight (lots of oxidation and lots of interior cleaning needed) with only a small dent in the upper back corner. It will not start due to sitting so long but I have been assured it runs fine. The guy wants $2000, would those with experience here give me some direction? many thanks!!

assuming that you are allowed to get a new battery and compression test it i would say yeah 2k is pretty darned good even for a gut job. they all have an overhead cab leak. how bad the leaks damage did is the real question and how committed to fixing that are you?

I will get a better look tomorrow after he removes all his stuff from it, I am pretty good with tools and remodeling stuff so I will be committed to restoring it. I've just never had one of these and do not even know everything I should be looking for. Are there common issues I should be aware of? Great advice on the compression test! 

well i say that because its the V6 which had the head gasket failure issue; so if it overheated and had damage it could possibly show in a compression test even if its not able to start yet.

As far as exterior oxidation there is a product that folks mentioned in here that's a liquid floor polymer that is just wipe on and it dries clear and makes dull oxidized exteriors look good for several years. That's in another thread in here, but I am sure Linda or Derek, the site elders and guardians, can post its link.

Edited by Totem

Welcome! It is worth it, not for the majority of people in America!

Run's great, but won't start,  Mmmmmm     Most people that want $2000 for something that runs great would be willing to get it started, most not all.  Has sat for many years but runs great.

Ac just needs  a charge.   Actually means that the AC is broken and will cost much money to fix.   Unbroken systems do not need a charge.

Tires have lots of thread,   actually means tires are dry rotted and need to be replaced more $$$$$$    Learn to read a date code. Tires much over 6 years old that have sat need to be replaced.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

It will cost you 3 times as much as you think it will and take twice as long.  

Is it a wise economic decision, no.  IS it a good experience and  fun,  yes.                         Jim

Thanks Jim, I think I'll spend a little time trying to get it running before I buy. The truth is, I saw it sitting behind a guys barn for the last 10 years and it never moved, so finally I left a note on his door and he said he would sell it. He tried to start it himself but said the gas had gone bad and is clogging the lines. I like taking old things and restoring them, its kinda a hobby of mine. If all goes well I'm sure I will need much more advice from people here. 

15 hours ago, Don Albright said:

Thanks Jim, I think I'll spend a little time trying to get it running before I buy. The truth is, I saw it sitting behind a guys barn for the last 10 years and it never moved, so finally I left a note on his door and he said he would sell it. He tried to start it himself but said the gas had gone bad and is clogging the lines. I like taking old things and restoring them, its kinda a hobby of mine. If all goes well I'm sure I will need much more advice from people here. 

There are 2 schools of thought on this, one is to buy the nicest one you can find and likely pay top buck for it.  The other is to buy one that needs everything.  Neither is the best choice.  I know someone that bought a nice one for $11,000 and put $2000 into it for repairs, and it now needs another $1200 in repairs. 

I bought one for $5500 and have spent about another $4000 on it.  Who is better off?                                   Jim

I would try to negotiate the price lower. before I put any effort into starting it.  You start it and he has a running RV and might not be willing to go down any on price.  

Agree with Derek and Maineah (did I just say that?) on the price... in this case 2k is a good price if good compression. the minute it runs he may decide to start using it again...

I also agree with JJ somewhat (I paid 7500 for my sunrader and then we just wont talk about how much i put into it after that; because like you for me it was about restoring it to current working and acceptable proud to own it condition)

Mine was mint condition never left a barn and had been forgotten then was traded in to an rv dealer and that dealer i bought it from. it was all original right down to the shag carpet and 80's-esque battery powered wall clock that failed to keep time.

I gutted what some would have called a perfect mint vintage specimen but also had to add a safe axle to avoid putting my cranium in danger from the wifes rolling pin and just started replacing everything with heavy duty everything.

I say buy it and fix it up, cant go wrong. replace the hoses and any gas lines drain it fill it fresh fluids and see what happens. i could have that done in a weekend.

I would offer 1000 as is and promise to pay another 1000 if I get it to run without major overhaul.

Really boils down to "do you want it? are you willing to put in the work?  do you have the time and ability to put in the work?

I would be hesitant on a gut job - some folks act like it is no big deal - it would be to me.  Putting it back together also runs the risk of making it solid which will cause the empty weight to go up - which is a concern because most of these toys are near max weight already

Well, now I really need help. There is wood rot across the whole length of the front window that extends around the living room wall to the kitchen, all the cabinets on that side will need to come down and it even appear the outside in bulging out because for the swelling. It looks like the rot stops before the shower. the dinette side of the camper looks fine. The roof seems to sag from the inside and looking at the outside it dips in at the same spot. The floor appears good all around but the ceiling in some areas is wrinkled. The outside looks bad but is mostly very bad mold and oxidation. The owner will take $1500 for it. Not sure at this point. Observations and opinions??

Image_8.jpg

Image_7.jpg

Image_9.jpg

Image_6.jpg

Image_5.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Image_1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image.jpg

The work is all doable.  Does not run, has not moved in years, rot. gas lines, brake lines, tires, brakes, vacuum lines, hoses, belts exhaust system, both AC's all likely shot. Lot's of $$$$$$

I would look for something in slightly better condition to start with.   

At least with mine the problems were well hidden.  This one is all right out front to see.  Price is interesting too.  I paid just over $2k for mine.  It ran and most of it worked.  They had camped in it just about up until they sold it.  Add to that it only had 53k miles.  I only had to deal with the front and back.

It takes a certain type.  I'm pretty handy.  I've built furniture, automotive mechanical and body work, welding and fab work even electronics.  I was enormously overwhelmed by the amount of work it took and mine wasn't close to that bad.

Pretty much count on replacing everything and the things you are going to find beyond what can be seen is unimaginable.  No doubt, I'd pass.

tell him you will remove it for him for $500 before the township does for zoning violations. :)

then put it in the pole barn brake out the beer, saw zaw and cut cancer and turn that turd into a $20,000 RV. prolly will only cost you $3000. I am assuming it has a 6 lug axle in the back yes? if not i would pass even at $500.

Heres the thing, no matter whos rig you buy you will end up replacing everything anyway. Its what we all do. by only investing $500 you can really do more with less and make some people smile. The best restorations come from the trash in my opine. Had I not insisted on a sun rader i would have gotten something similar to this; if i could have even found one.

Edited by Totem

32 minutes ago, Totem said:

tell him you will remove it for him for $500 before the township does for zoning violations. :)

then put it in the pole barn brake out the beer, saw zaw and cut cancer and turn that turd into a $20,000 RV. prolly will only cost you $3000. I am assuming it has a 6 lug axle in the back yes? if not i would pass even at $500.

Heres the thing, no matter whos rig you buy you will end up replacing everything anyway. Its what we all do. by only investing $500 you can really do more with less and make some people smile. The best restorations come from the trash in my opine. Had I not insisted on a sun rader i would have gotten something similar to this; if i could have even found one.

Yes, it has the six lug axle. I'm leaning your direction, I hate to see things rot away that could be restored. I'm sure half way into it I would have wished I listened to JJrbus and Back East Don. I'll make the offer and keep you posted.

$1000 max. The Dolphins are the worst for having wood rot. Not sure if its design or build quality.

The only reason I'd buy it is to part it out.

12 minutes ago, Don Albright said:

Yes, it has the six lug axle. I'm leaning your direction, I hate to see things rot away that could be restored. I'm sure half way into it I would have wished I listened to JJrbus and Back East Don. I'll make the offer and keep you posted.

The naysayers tend to be the ones that aren't physically up to the task, enjoy the challenge or have bad taste in their mouth from poor choices of equipment often over-killing  everything to death and wishing they never started their projects. There are plenty of people in here with documented wood rot restorations and their toys are by far the nicest because it took the love determination and personal responsibility to see it through. I think you can do it.

The owner is pretty firm at $1500. So if I pull the trigger, are items like window rubber still avail, or is it part of the adventure trying to find stuff? I have rebuilt plenty of old cars and am used to combing through classifieds and junk yards, but I have never rebuilt a motor home.

personally i would not fear finding similar like for like RV stuff at all; unless you are a puritan that only wants factory original fixtures the rv parts makes should have the things you need or something close enough. Case in point my bathroom faucet cracked and i have to unbolt it and put a new one in that i got from an rv shop; the holes mated up perfectly; but its still a newer atwood faucet not the original one from 1985.

Now the things that prove to be harder to find you probably wont need, I know finding the original shock mounts to the upgraded axle are hard to find i had to have custom ones made. I have heard horror stories about sourcing windshields but not rv windows. rubber gaskets etc are generally available to everything in the coach. It will prove harder to find the toyota parts in most cases than the RV stuff.

Edited by Totem

Totem, your a genius, the owner just called and said he would accept $500, looks like the journey begins. Thanks for the help getting me here, I'm confident you will be hearing from me again as I begin, and if there are other members who have been down this road and have documented it I would love to know. 

19 hours ago, Don Albright said:

The owner is pretty firm at $1500. So if I pull the trigger, are items like window rubber still avail, or is it part of the adventure trying to find stuff? I have rebuilt plenty of old cars and am used to combing through classifieds and junk yards, but I have never rebuilt a motor home.

Yes you can still get the window bead rubber. If there's anything not available lots of guys here are spectacular at improvising. I love to see stuff saved too. Hope you go for it

Linda S

Ok if your going to under take this, you need an idea how it was built. This gives you some idea of what your going to be dealing with.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/jayco-makes-jay-flight-travel-trailer-just-7-hours/

9 hours ago, linda s said:

Yes you can still get the window bead rubber. If there's anything not available lots of guys here are spectacular at improvising. I love to see stuff saved too. Hope you go for it

Linda S

Thanks Linda, good to know

3 hours ago, WME said:

Ok if your going to under take this, you need an idea how it was built. This gives you some idea of what your going to be dealing with.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/jayco-makes-jay-flight-travel-trailer-just-7-hours/

Thanks WME, the project is underway! just cleaned out all the junk, removed all the cushions (except the couch, need to look into how to remove it) and lit off some foggers to kill current residents overnight. If all goes well tomorrow I will get it started and take it to a car wash to clean it up before the real work begins. 

Well, today didn't go as planned. As far as I can tell its not getting gas, I can keep it going with ether but it will need further investigation. I know it's crazy to think this but the tires look pretty good, no signs of cracking at all, they were new when it was parked eight years ago, and it was out of the sun for the most part and still had air, what do you think? Is there any way to tell for sure?

Image_11.jpg