Camping in the modern age. (a generator rant)

My wife and I are single destination type campers.  We love the ocean and camping on or near the water.  The sun and sand along with the sound of the ocean.

This weekend we went to one of the state campgrounds that has no electric hookups and only a few communal water spigots here and there but hey, it's right on the water.  Now I've come to expect the massive RV's with their generators running to keep the AC units running when it's hot.  This weekend was actually really pretty cool.  At least most of these campers we encounter have reasonably quiet generators and with enough space between sites, it is at least tolerable.  There was also the usual sea of Honda portables but again, very quiet running machines.

What struck me with this trip is the number of older trailers with construction site type generators.  We had two near us, one directly across from us.  Quiet time for this park is 10pm to 8am.  These generators ran from 8am to 10pm.  I'm about 100ft from the guy across from us but his whole crew including guests were encircled around a fire pit within several feet of said generator.  How could they possible be enjoying their conversations?

That first night I was thinking, what could they possibly need powered as everyone was outside anyway.  Finally quiet time came and off went the generators.  Not so much as a single light could be seen from our neighbor.  Next morning, promptly 8am the generators start up again.  Family later comes out and starts packing everything up.  Last item to get stowed away is said generator.

I spent a great deal of time and effort with making my little RV ready to go a few days without needing to be hooked up to water and power.  The only noise coming from ours was the whir of the water pump when it ran.  It will only be worse later when it is hotter.  There are a few of these kinds of sites we choose early in the season that have no hookups.  Later we go to the more expensive parks with hookups.  This choice used to be based on money.  Early bookings often tend to get washed out so we pick the limited cheaper state parks.  Who you'll end up with for neighbors though, is very much a crap shoot too. 

We very much enjoyed the group of Harley's that visited the park this weekend.  We stayed out by the water fishing most of the weekend.  Weather was mixed so it wasn't very good beach weather.  Wife caught and reeled in her first striper.  It wasn't all bad but we stayed away from the noise.

One generator fires up anywhere in any campground I am at and we leave.   Just plain rude as I see it when in a rural campground.  I find it amazing that some people seem to think nobody can hear their Hondas. I certainly can and sometimes the low hum/drone bothers me more then an old fashioned, loud, generator with a 3600 RPM, 8 horse Briggs & Stratton engine. 

Agree with jDE.. to me my generator is for 1 thing and one thing alone.. running AC while driving or parked in parking lots of attractions keeping my GSD dog alive. If i need to run it to keep cool to sleep its being done at a truckstop along side several idling trucks that are way louder than my generator.

In fact I have only ever stayed at a campground that had no electric (mammoth caves KY) where i wanted to run my generator as everyone else an their mom was at night to keep cool in 100% hummidity; We were chased off for running it in the AM but were not asked to pay and were allowed to run it and camp in the parking lot of the Mammoth cave main entrance.

All of the times we have stayed in rustic campgrounds other than that we just open windows and run on 12 volt. If I were on the beech and had neighbors running hondas or any other type I would leave and find a better spot.

Edited by Totem

We used to have some pretty big rally's and early on it was decided that a separate area for those with construction type gensets would be set up. What is wrong with those people anyway?  If I had to use a construction generator I would want a 500 foot cord on it!  And of course put it right next to your RV:D

Our Coachmen came with a generator mounted in a little compartment right behind the drivers side door. It is long gone now.  Should I decide to install a new one, I have a newer coleman rooftop air unit, what recommendations do you have?

Thanks,

Wade

Those construction generators are cheap and some are marketed for RV use.  It's shameful that the manufacturers do that, especially considering that they are no where near acceptable for the max decibel levels at nearly every Federal, State, or local park/campground.

I had an old 1800 RPM Onan twin cylinder RV generator that came out of a friends RV (long story) but I ended up with it it was the quietest generator I have ever heard put any Honda to shame but it in the middle of no where any generator is noisy it is all about respect that is some thing some people have never learned.

I have an Onan microlite 2800. It runs really quiet. As soon as your 20-30 feet away you can't even here it.

I did add a supplemental muffler to the factory exhaust. More for my comfort than the neighbors. I also added rubber vibration dampers to the chassis where it attaches to the rear deck.

When inside, I only know its working because I have 120 volt.

Here in the south, in summer, you need your AC regardless of where your parked.

It's 96 degree's right now.

I am totally used to having generators running.  It has become the norm at the beach.  What struck me odd here was that it wasn't even hot so I wondered, what the heck were they even running?  When the generator next to me went off and it was total blackout, I figured, camping in an old trailer on the cheap and/or the guy doesn't have a clue as to how to make any of the 12 volt parts work.  Might have also replaced the fridge with an AC unit, who knows their situation.  Gathering around the campfire a few ft from all that noise had to take its toll cause it did on me from a distance.

I kind of felt bad for them.  At least the wife and I don't spend much time during the days in or near the RV anyway.  We keep pretty busy doing our thing.  Most trips are fine but I do see many huge rigs show up and the generators run.  Sometimes the occupants never seem to come out.  What's the point of camping near the beach to stay on a postage stamp size dot of land stuck inside your luxury RV?  

I'll just have to spend more money next spring on sites with full hook ups.  Got to book beach sites around here 6 months in advance and they are go within minutes. (MA park allow 6 months, other states around here 12 months)  ReserveAmerica is scheduled often in my phone calendar in the wintertime as a recurring event to book sites for the season.  The wife and I sit down and figure out the social calendar and mark birthdays, upcoming weddings and all the various family events starting in Nov to decide which weekends we want to book.

Next week is the last no hook up place for the rest of the season.

We bought our 18 foot Sunrader in 2005 and the previous owner had installed a generator and roof air. The camper was in good shape and was priced right, so we bought it.  We like to boony camp in the desert and needed the storage space that the generator used, so we removed the generator and air conditioner. Also the roof was not designed to support the weight of the air conditioner and was beginning to sag . When we camp, we usually stay in one place for three or four days at a time, and the group 24 coach battery didn't have the capacity we needed even though we replaced all the interior lights with LED's. We found the perfect answer for us - a folding 120 watt solar panel. It is made of 2 60 watt panels hinged together so it only takes the space of one 60 watt panel and stores on the overcab bed when we are on the road. We replaced the air conditioner with a fantastic fan which works great, as we usually camp in the spring and fall. After a day and evening of battery use, the panel will fully recharge the battery in about 2 hours (about 4 hours on a cloudy day). It's nice to enjoy the serenity of the desert and still be able to use our fan and lights (and my ham radio) with no generator noise. The perfect answer for us. Now we can stay in one place until we run out of water, propane, or food!

Bill

i was at a dry camp boon docking  99.9 of our camping .is what we do . i see of all things a cargo trailer come in behind a truck with a chest freezer setting on it . which they run on a generater the whole time . bring horses which they never ride . and stay loud  and drunk the whole time a med group . thankfully they were a ways down from us.

2 hours ago, 5Toyota said:

i was at a dry camp boon docking  99.9 of our camping .is what we do . i see of all things a cargo trailer come in behind a truck with a chest freezer setting on it . which they run on a generater the whole time . bring horses which they never ride . and stay loud  and drunk the whole time a med group . thankfully they were a ways down from us.

Sounds like the only thing missing were a bunch of quad-runners for the drunks to rip around on.

Reminds me of a trip to Kings Canyon national park in 99 or 2000.  I go into the campground and it is a zoo, TV's, radios, kid's screaming all kinds of racket.  I don;'t want to stay but it is late in the day so decided to spend the night. I am a bit upset, a beautiful place preserved and maintained with our tax dollars and these people are treating it like a ghetto. 

As long as I am there I will do a little exploring in the morning and leave early in the afternoon for someplace decent like a Wal Mart or truck stop. 

I don't remember details, but not too far down the road I find another camping area. Several sites and only one tent set up!  I move there and barely fit into the site with my motor home I enjoyed several days peace and quiet. 

I love truck stops when i am enroute and need a place to crash. there are always trucks idling and no one ever even sees lil ole sunrader in between em running a generator. Best part there are showers and breakfast waiting in the morning; usually free with flying J etc. I know some folks that get planet fitness memberships to do same thing.

i used to hunt with some guys that used construction generator for deer camp. they would put it in the outhouse and shut the door to quiet it down and run 100 foot extension cord to camp from there.

Edited by Totem

50 minutes ago, Totem said:

I love truck stops when i am enroute and need a place to crash. there are always trucks idling and no one ever even sees lil ole sunrader in between em running a generator. Best part there are showers and breakfast waiting in the morning; usually free with flying J etc. I know some folks that get planet fitness memberships to do same thing.

i used to hunt with some guys that used construction generator for deer camp. they would put it in the outhouse and shut the door to quiet it down and run 100 foot extension cord to camp from there.

I guess you won't find that in New York anymore. I think just when I moved out, truck-idling at truck-stops was made illegal.  No one seems to worry about it here in Michigan.  I also notice that in many areas of NY, Jake-brakes are illegal to use. Here?   I am in the middle of  nowhere, and  I hear them often, from log trucks at an intersection near my house.

On the subject of generators - we went to a state park awhile back at Fayette in the UP.  Big paved parking lot and there were maybe  a dozen motorhomes there with their generators running.  Seems everyone (but us) left their dogs behind and left the generators going to keep the AC going.    We walked to the historic sites on the shore of Lake Michigan and I could hear that humm of all those generators during the whole visit. My wife said she could not hear them, but says females don't hear low tones as well as males do.

Yep. Generators and barking dogs. Their owners never seem to be bothered by them. And they could care less if it bothers others. IMHO, this reflects the generalized, self-centered nature of our society. As long as I have what I want, as long as I'm doing what I want to do, it doesn't matter how it impacts anyone else. It's all about me, me, me. Here, let me show the latest selfie I took of me.

Also, have you noticed that the people running the generators almost always are the ones who pull up, set up, then never leave their RV. Why are they even at these beautiful locations anyway? They might as well set up in their driveways at home, or in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

I think generators, even the "quiet" ones, should be banned from rural campsites.

I try to get my dog boarded in the 85+ temps trip range for this ^ same reason. However, if its spring or fall or a non campground destination, my buddys going with me; its not all about me. Its about him doing his job... which is to keep out those that feel compelled to help themselves to my stuff. they tend to be the me me me people also. fortunately for me, my dog only barks if someone tries to get in or buggers with him. Tends to be those pint sized micro mini dogs that have permanently stuck on yappers. they are often found running around with the doors open and peoples stuff missing.

Edited by Totem

Our dog goes everywhere we go except inside restaurants (like they do in France).  12 years old now and she has never been left home alone or boarded.  We've encountered a few campgrounds that were anti-dog, and with them - we just move on and go somewhere else.  She never barks and if there are other people around, she is on a leash.   When left in our RV, we leave the roof fan on for her and it works out fine.  Granted, this is northern MI and that might not work down south.   She is an overweight border collie who still wants to be a lap-dog.  She DOES get into the over-cab bed in our Toyota in the morning.  At night,she sleeps on the floor - or gets in bed with our 12 year old boy (the ground-floor couch-bed).

Last summer we went to a very rural Federal campground in the Michigan UP.  We were the only people there and had the entire place to ourselves.  After one day, a sort-of RV caravan showed up with three RVs and near a dozen hunting dogs (all pointers and setters).  So here we are at a Federal campground with 80 campsites (and leash regs), we were the only campers there - and what does this caravan do?  Set up right next to us and then . . let all their dogs run loose (no leashes or restraints of any sort).  We put our dog on a leash when these people showed up.  Then their army of loose dogs kept coming by our site and terrorizing our dog.  Finally got to a point we just packed up and left. Had I been younger, I'd likely started something that would of wound up with me in jail.

Funny thing about the nearest city to us - Alpena, MI.  Most stores have signs inviting people to bring their dogs in. I have never seen that in NY.  Home Depot, Walmart, and Tractor Supply. NOT just for service dogs.  ANY dogs.  I have never brought my dog in because she is too friendly.  She'd be pulling me all over the store to meet new people and other dogs.

DSCF7179.JPG

My "new" dog turns 4 this year. we still call him the new one because our old shep made it to 15 before we put her down; was blind deaf and developed hip dysplasia so when she could no longer move around that was it for her.

The new one is a male and a male GSD is a handful. I can relate to the going to jail comment.. My dog absolutely wont tolerate that dogs off leash terrorism. when folks do that at the campground i live near (i have a campground for neighbors at my main home) he will go full on and send someones dog home bloody. Then they always want to come over and start crap and then he will attack their owners if their tone is wrong. Its happened more than once, I always laugh i keep him on a tie leash tied to the bumper of the RV even when at home with about 12 feet of line or enough to patrol around the rv.

All my life my family were always female dog owners, my dad, my relatives etc all had em. My dog was the first male we got; an experiment but its simply amazing how loyal and fearless he is. They aren't for everyone though a lot of work to train him to where he is today. I had a couple yahoos straight up attack me once, a couple twenty somethings all whacked out on some drugs probably after they almost ran over my daughter and i yelled at them. they got out of their jeep and the one kid made a run on me... my shepherd opened the back door of my house and came a running and was on that guy so fast he screamed like a girl and dove back in the jeep and they took off. Gotta love that dog. I was pretty sure i could have handled my own on that one but never needed to. that dog i swear he is always watching us. always.

I remember when your dog died.  Boy, I didn't think it was four years already.

Our border collie just turned 12 years old and she is still our "new" dog.  I can't say I ever got over losing the one before her.  Especially since I had to hold and comfort him as a vet gave him a shot to do him in.  He only let the vet do it because he trusted me.  Did it right in our kitchen.  He had lost use of his hind legs and seemed  to try to just crawl out into the snow and die.  Sometimes I think I should of let him do it.

New dog is every bit as important and loved. Just different.   Imagine if all people acted like dogs.  Hmmm.  Wait a minute.  We'd either be licking each other's butts. Or over-eating. Or making lots of noise.  Or ripping each other's throats out.  Maybe we are not all that different.

don't have to be just dogs either . at that camp I was at one of those drunks had a mule and a horse that he was letting run wild  thru everybody elses place . I collared him on that yelled at me  after I said are those yours tie them up. I never knew of any kind of real stockman who let his animals run loose all over the place. this was the same bunch. maybe  atvs would have been helpful a little DUI arrest would be ok with me .