Transmission Cooler

davidtan

Yes to both questions. Especially on the 4 cyl. Also a temp gauge.

Anybody install a transmission cooler on their toyo home? Is it even needed?

As far as I know, they all come with two coolers right from the factory. One cooler/warmer in the radiator, and then an oil-to-air cooler in front of the radiator on heavy-duty trucks like our RVs. Some have added even larger coolers then what the factory provided. And yes, they are needed. That's why Toyota put the coolers (and warmer) there.

1986 and older only have the in-radiator cooler unless a previous owner added an extra external one

Linda

I believe you are incorrect. I looked up a cooler for a guy with a 1986 Granville not long ago and it showed up in the Toyota parts lookup. To my knowledge, Toyota never sold a truck in the USA rated as "heavy duty" with an automatic trans that did not come with an oil-to-air cooler in front. Trucks not rated for heavy duty use - yes. That being said, did any RV companies ever buy a light-duty chassis and mount a 20-21 foot RV on the back? Not a rhetorical question; I really don't know but I cannot recall any. Toyota worked with Chinook and sold a few of the little RVs with auto trans and not rated for HD use - but that's a small RV.

Toyota sold a lot of HD cab & chassis trucks in the early 80s with manual transmissions. Not autos though (that I am aware of). From anything I've seen, when the auto trans became used in rigs rated heavy-duty - the oil-to-air cooler was part of the deal.

post-6578-0-15540200-1438796505_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-53866300-1438796506_thumb.jp

Your (Linda) comment got me curiois so I scoured some Toyota application charts. Seems Toyota DID make a two trucks rated "heavy duty" with the auto trans and no oil-to-air cooler. That was for 1984-1985. Models RN55L-PDEAW and RN55L-PDEK3W.

Mine is a 1986 factory full float cab and chassis and it has never had anything other than the in radiator cooler. Had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and was all original. Just because it was available as an option doesn't mean they came that way. I have looked at so many Toyota motorhomes I can't begin to count. Only see them regularly on 87 and up

Linda S

Toyota made a "Stout" it was a long bed pickup with a one ton rear using a single rear wheel setup they are few and far between that probably is the heavy duty pickup. My 87 had a air cooler not real big but better than nothing it now has one 3 times the size. I have no ideal when they became standard but the common pickup automatic early on didn't have them.

Just did a Toyota factory parts search. Production start date for the trannies cooler was 5/86. My Sunrader chassis was built in 1/86 so yes part of the 1986 year the trucks might have come with them. Have no way to check if it was just an option or not

Linda S

I believe national rv archive states the dolphons and seabreze came with the xtra cooler .mine has it but I never thought wheter national or Toyota put them on. mine is a late 86 and has one

Sorta backing Linda, my 1986 Escaper, build date 02/86, did NOT have a factory air to oil cooler. It only had the radiator cooler.

My 93 Sea Breeze has a extra tranny cooler in front of the radiator. It is marked toyota. The tubing was chopped up and hoses added for an external tranny filter, so not sure but looks factory?? post-8092-0-71666000-1438855570_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

What's the best way to install a tranny temp sender and gauge on the V6 models (A340E, I think)?

Bung on the pan? Some port on tranny? T-fitting on fluid line?

• 2 months later...

Did you ever figure that one out? Curious too.

Nope, too busy with other projects, sorry. I'm still trying to find time/$$ to rebuild my cabover area.

My temperature sensor is located on the external tranny filter. So it tells me the temperature of the fluid after it has been through the cooler. I'm thinking this is not the best idea!

Jim

That's fine it really does not matter how hot the fluid coming out is it has done it's job and got hot what is returned past the cooler is what the transmission is using to make things happen if it's hot the transmission will suffer..

Lots of ideas/opinions/theories. The ATF circuit is a closed loop (unless it's leaking :)). There's lots of concern/interest in the many (oft posted) bar graphs of ATF temperature vs ATF life. Of course the graphs don't specify where the temperatures are measured but if we ASSUME it's the maximum temperature reached in the system, then IM(H)O that would best be measured where the oil leaves the transmission.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=atf+life+temperature&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS3N2LmZ_JAhVHHR4KHd39DWMQ_AUIBygB&biw=1252&bih=581#imgrc=cHBKVoRY2PVniM%3A

That said, I don't know how much the temperature will differ between the various possible locations because I don't have a fully instrumented MH to check them. Also, if I had an ATF temperature gauge installed, I'd more than likely use it to watch the changes in temperatures under similar driving conditions to monitor for problems. If it (for example) usually showed 180F cruising on flat ground, rising to 210F on steep climbs, so be it. But if suddenly it was 210F & 230F, I'd investigate. The same way I'd use the coolant temperature gauge.

But that's just me. :)

Seems to me that if someone wants to install a gauge - the same person will likely know WHY the gauge is wanted. To tell you how hot the trans gets? Or maybe to tell you how effective an added cooler is? Different desires require different installations. I put mine before the cooler. I want to know the max temp my trans and oil is getting since that is what can damage a transmission. Having a gauge hooked after the cooler and telling me how much cooler the oil is beyond the trans - is kind of like closing the barn door after the horse got out. My trans in my 1988 Minicruiser has oil that runs the same temp as my engine coolant unless a long hard hill climb is done. Then the trans oil will spike up an extra 30-40 degrees - and once on top of the hill - come right back down to engine coolant temp again.

I'm with JD on this one. Heat destroys trannie fluid, I want to know how hot the fluid gets.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me that if someone wants to install a gauge - the same person will likely know WHY the gauge is wanted. To tell you how hot the trans gets? Or maybe to tell you how effective an added cooler is? Different desires require different installations. I put mine before the cooler. I want to know the max temp my trans and oil is getting since that is what can damage a transmission. Having a gauge hooked after the cooler and telling me how much cooler the oil is beyond the trans - is kind of like closing the barn door after the horse got out. My trans in my 1988 Minicruiser has oil that runs the same temp as my engine coolant unless a long hard hill climb is done. Then the trans oil will spike up an extra 30-40 degrees - and once on top of the hill - come right back down to engine coolant temp again.

Did you put a "T" in before the cooler for the gauge? Everything I've seen about trans temp is that the sensor should go in a transmission check port, but my '91 v6 doesn't seem to have one. I've seen people suggest the pan, but that would require drilling a hole in the pan, would it not?

Thanks. :)

Use something like this to mount sensor in the coolant line.

http://www.autometer.com/temperature-manifold-adapter-for-5-16-od-tubing.html

Most people value things from a different perspective. To my way of thinking $50 for a chunk of aluminum and a couple fittings is way outta line!

There must be a better (cheaper easier) way. I would think in this day and age there are surface mount sensors that do not require opening the system and are adaptable to our needs. Hopefully one of our rocket scientists can figure this out. Jim

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/Sensors/SeriesS2-1

Somewhat better, but still need to cut the lines to install. There must be a surface mount that will suit our purposes? It should be no big deal to cut lines and install, but after many opp's moments over the years I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Something like this with a higher operating range.

http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/Extech_TM20_Waterproof_Thermometer_3_4_SS_Probe_9_2_Cable/UX-95001-55?referred_id=778&gclid=CO3Zqq-iwskCFQEuHwodl9wDvw

Jim

Putting it in the line to the cooler isn't going to really tell you how hot the fluid got, as that is fluid out of the pan which would be more of an average, but is probably the most effective place.

Me myself would just drop the pan and put a bung in it and mount the sensor there. No worry about pressure resulting in a leak.

Also, not ALL of the fluid goes to the cooler. There is a pressure valve, so when pump pressure is higher than the cooler and lines should see, it bypasses the cooler. That is one of the reasons why I have more cooler than I need, and run it through the radiator trans cooler AFTER the aux cooler. That way, on cold days, I can ensure that the trans isn't running too cold.

I also have a large filter in the line to the cooler, which makes it very easy to change. The screen in the pan does very little good. Anything big enough to get caught in the screen probably came from somewhere it shouldn't have, which means failure is occurring.

Somewhat better, but still need to cut the lines to install.

A simple pipe Tee fitting works fine. Oil exiting the trans will tell you the operating temp of the trans. Like this.

post-6578-0-96569400-1449251176_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-71361900-1449251189_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-95930000-1449251190_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-98346800-1449251202_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-76109000-1449251211_thumb.jp

Again, straight into the pan will give you the same temp, less parts and no pressure to cause leaks. Besides, it gives you a reason to drop the pan and see how much clutch debris may be in the pan and metallic debris on the magnet(s), and then add a couple qts of fresh fluid.

I haven't done any sort of scientific study on this but I see it like this. Oil in the pan is oil that has already run through the cooler and returned to the trans-sump, waiting to be sucked up by the filter and re-used. It seems it would be cooler then the hotter oil that just got used and is leaving the trans that is on its way to the cooler. In my case - I installed a gauge because I want to know the max hot temp my oil is getting and using the Tee gets me pretty close to that goal.

Fluid in the pan is cooled? I did not know that. It seems that the output line from the tyranny would be the best place to check temperature. The one on my toy is in the added external tyranny filter after the added transmission cooler. That seems a poor place to install it.

Way down towards the end of the bucket list is moving the added tyranny hoses to reverse the flow of fluid to put the hot fluid through the temperature sensor and filter. Jim

The pump picks up the fluid and sends a portion through the cooler, depending on the amount of fluid pressure/quantity of flow. The cooled fluid then flows through the rest of the trans circuit. That is why I say the pan is the best place to monitor temperature.
And as I said earlier and elsewhere, it is only a portion of the fluid that gets sent through the cooler, which is why the pan is the best place to monitor the trans temp.
Also, the warmer the fluid is, the better it is to filter. That is why I have a large (Ford/MOPAR) filter in-line (PL30001, 51515 (heaven forbid a Fram PH8a)...) on the hot side from the trans.

Opinions obviously do (and always will) vary. Here's mine. Short of installing (somehow) a temperature pickup inside the transmission, the maximum temperature the ATF reaches is best measured where it leaves the transmission and before going through any cooler or filter. In the oil pan is where the ATF is coolest. Personally, I think most are interested in knowing the maximum temperature. But I could well be wrong.

YOMV :)

This is ridiculous.

Q ) Where does the fluid flow originate?

A ) The pan

It is picked up through the screen, then the pump, then into the system, where some is directed to the cooler, and the rest goes through the torque converter, then the valve body and then to apply clutches and bands, and lubricate planetary gear sets...

The fluid going to the cooler is not necessarily the hottest.