Red or Green  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Red or Green? Which antifreeze do you use?

• Toyota Red (Pink)?
    • The Green Stuff?
    • Other?

I saw this posted over at the Yahoo group that got me thinking:

"Unless you are positive that nothing but Toyota pink coolant has been used in your engine, there is a good chance that there will be head gasket deterioration. When I overheated my 22R-E and blew a head gasket, the mechanic predicted exactly where the failure occurred, and he was right, #4 cylinder, and there was a lot of gasket deterioration around cooling passages, no doubt from the Green antifreeze in the engine for a number of years."

I use the 50/50 green stuff and that's what was in it when I got it almost 2 1/2 years ago.

Yes, I saw that post and refrained from answering it there. He overheated his engine and then blamed the HGF on his antifreeze???

Given that (as far as a quick Google search shows) the Toyota 'pink' wasn't introduced until ~2004 (and the 'red' ~1998) there's an excellent (or better) chance that 'green' has been in all of our engines. :)

Toyota would have introduced these different coolants in response to new material used in newly developed engines. Owners Manuals and the FSM simply call for 'ethylene-glycol' coolant, even in my 1992 copy (AFTER the 'red' was introduced). And until someone can come up with something official from Toyota (like a TSB), I'm happy with green and so's my 'home. :)

Am I saying the pink or red will do any harm? No. Only to your wallet.

The post made me curious as my last motorhome, I used an expensive anti freeze because of misinformation. I had an older diesel that did not require it.

So I checked my 94 manual (wrong manual, mines a 93) and it states "Use only ethylene-glycol coolant" Not even Toyota ethylene-glycol coolant!

Green is my favorite color, but I will go with red if it's on sale ( : JIm SW FL

I have had seven 4 cylinder Toyotas and some Datsuns never used anything but green since 1974 never had a problem. I do change it after a while . the things I have seen not in my rigs like head eaten up was caused by people who never change antifreeze.

overheating an aluminum head on an iron block is a fast way to blow the head gasket a Dirty RADITER from never changing antifreeze will lead to overheating and bigger bad news

I think you will find at least in the case of Toyota vehicles there is no difference just that Toyota uses a red dye (the more modern one's I can't say that is still true). The orange and green blends are different and should not be mixed. The newer orange antifreeze has a much longer life and if the old green stuff is flushed out properly you can then switch to orange for longer life.

You can look up the ingredients for the Red and Pink. Even they aren't exactly the same. Red dye or not, it is Toyota's own formula. Whether it really makes any difference or not in the life or your engine, they do believe that it's formulated to work better with Toyota engines and will prolong their life. I go with it, cause why not? How often do you change antifreeze? It's still a pretty insignificant amount of money, considering.

If I needed antifreeze badly and for some reason there was no dealership or any other place that carried it? I'd have no problem using some other coolant.

If the type of coolant was a key issue with life of a head-gasket and NOT an issue of corrosion of cast-iron and aluminum - why aren't the head-gaskets in millions of other cars, trucks, and tractors not being destroyed by "cheap" coolant?

Seems if this was true for 70s-90s Toyota engines - then they must be making head gaskets out of some cheap crap that other companies are not using.

Pitting of cylinder ferrous cylinder walls has long been an issue due to "cavitation." So has corrosion of non-ferrous parts like aluminum cylinder-heads and blocks. I never heard of any concern for the head-gaskets though.

I'm a red guy. The first year I had my Escaper it was showing signs of impending gasket failure. So I removed the head to fix things, wow the original head was shot.

Badly eroded around the coolant passages and some cracks starting. I have no idea of P/O mistreatment, but the green coolant wasn't green any more and the transmission fluid looked like mocha.

Any a new Engnblder head and cam and things were great and when I sold it the coolant was still red.

The red coolant seems to be more idiot proof when used in Toys.

Toyota mechanics would tell me that the silicate issue was serious and to make sure silicate coolant was never used.

"Types of coolant: Red, pink or green? The short answer: The simplest most straight forward recommendation we can make is to use Toyota's red, Long Life Coolant where specified, and their pink Super Long Life Coolant where specified. On vehicles older than 1998, Toyota's recommendations are very general. We have come to believe that the Toyota Long Life Coolant is preferable for these vehicles as well in order to reduce clogged radiators.

Types of coolant: Red, pink or green? The longer answer: Regarding generic green coolant versus Toyota's red coolant in the older Toyotas (see section on older Toyotas through 1998 for broader discussion) although I'm willing to use either as per customer preferences, I have come to have a definite preference for Toyota's Long Life red coolant. It was designed with full engineering knowledge of the various materials (seals and alloyed metals) it needs to be compatible with. It was also deliberately designed with zero silicates. While the silicates in other coolants provide excellent corrosion protection, over the long haul they tend to precipitate out and contribute to restricting coolant passages. This can eventually result in overheating and/or having to replace the radiator. The additional cost of Toyota's coolant is minimal if you consider that the cost is amortized over a two to three year period and that the superior coolant may save having to replace your radiator."

http://www.integrityautoinc.com/antifreeze

Whatever you folks choose is up to you. I will not try to influence your choice, but will stress that you stick with NAME BRANDS...Some of the off label coolants cut corners on the additive package....It may protect you to -34 degrees, but the corrosion inhibitors are a major concern too.

Some info that may be of interest: you can check the quality of your coolant corrosion with a digital volt meter....

set your meter on 2 volt or 20 volt scale....ground the positive lead & drop the negative lead into your coolant you should see less than .04 volts

.................................donnie.................

Wme I would say in my personal op that was caused by not changing antifreeze. as I underst it most of the red and newer types of antifreeze are a long life type I have a Dodge with red Dodge approved stuff in it . but with the old green stuff I would not want to go over about 2 years with out dumping it. and yes I think some of the off brand stuff is a big no no I bought some off brand stuff years ago and saw imedite rust in a car I had.

I would add to WHATEVER coolant that you choose to use buy a couple of gallons of distilled water at the store..especially if your mineral content is high. be on the safe side..........Dispose of it properly, too.. Anti freeze will kill your pets..Horribly death..Kidney failure....I'm gone.....donnie