Has anyone fiberglassed all the seams on their motorhomes coach so it is seamless like a Sunrader?

due to the flexing, of the aluminum, I think the glass would delaminate from the aluminum.

This seal (roof to side) is a very good seal, considering. The original seal has lasted 15-20 years, considering the amount of flexing that takes place. There are two ways to deal with this,

1) The "do it right" way would be to remove the top trim strip all the way around, clean off all the old butyl tape, install new butyl tape, and reinstall the trim with new screws.

2) The way most of us do it is to paint a strip of sealant between the top trim piece and the roof.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

On the Warrior, all the corner edges are held together by an L-shaped aluminum extrusion on the outside and wood on the inside. Fiberglassing over the aluminum would create a concave shape on top of the camper and a place to hold water.

Why fix something that ain't broke?

Now for a broken area:

My forward driver side over cab area was missing much of the material of the forward driver's corner due to a PO's collision and hasty metal tape repair job.

I removed the aluminum gunnel and fiber glassed the whole corner on the outside. Refilled the inside with Great Stuff foam insulation. Replaced the aluminum gunnel.

The repair is not pretty, but it is water tight.

due to the flexing, of the aluminum, I think the glass would delaminate from the aluminum.

This seal (roof to side) is a very good seal, considering. The original seal has lasted 15-20 years, considering the amount of flexing that takes place. There are two ways to deal with this,

1) The "do it right" way would be to remove the top trim strip all the way around, clean off all the old butyl tape, install new butyl tape, and reinstall the trim with new screws.

2) The way most of us do it is to paint a strip of sealant between the top trim piece and the roof.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

That is good to know and thank you. Is there a solvent that will remove remnants of butyl tape left behind after cleaning (or anything that was used to seal over the years) that won't remove the paint in the process?

Also, have you or anyone seen anything online that shows a diagram of the wall and roof/ceiling construction of these Toyota motorhomes?

Your kind of starting to bug me. You are just writing a book and using us for information. Absolutely no other reason for someone who doesn't even own a toyota motorhome yet to ask such questions. Members here are so kind to spend so much time helping genuine toy owners with real problems. At least be honest so members who want to help you can volunteer. Or better yet take the time go through all the posts and you will find all your answers. Then it will really be your book. I'm already having nightmares about the mistakes you will make in this book from your quick run through of info. Once it's written down it will make you look like an expert and your not. 8 years on this site and I don't know everything or even close.

Linda S

Your kind of starting to bug me. You are just writing a book and using us for information. Absolutely no other reason for someone who doesn't even own a toyota motorhome yet to ask such questions. Members here are so kind to spend so much time helping genuine toy owners with real problems. At least be honest so members who want to help you can volunteer. Or better yet take the time go through all the posts and you will find all your answers. Then it will really be your book. I'm already having nightmares about the mistakes you will make in this book from your quick run through of info. Once it's written down it will make you look like an expert and your not. 8 years on this site and I don't know everything or even close.

Linda S

You know what Linda? YOU are reeeeeeally starting to really bug ME. I already covered this in the Yahoo group and what you said AGAIN is NOT true, so please drop it already. You seem to have a somewhat paranoid and abrasive personality that shows through in many of your posts.

As I already told you a couple weeks ago, but here it is again because your paranoia is getting the better of you...

Yes, I did write a book on how to sell cars for profit and I do sell it on a website (Are you stalking me?!). I have been doing TONS of research on motorhomes the last couple months starting with full size vans, big Class A's, Class B's, and Class C's and even converting a box van into my own custom motorhome (because I used to be a cabinetmaker/carpenter). All that research has lead me on deciding to buy a Toyota or possibly a Nissan motorhome. I have owned many Nissans and Toyotas in my life and they have all been extremely reliable vehicles. In fact, I still own an old 95 Toyota Corolla with 155,000 miles that runs like a champ. People ask me: "why don't you get a new car?" and I tell them "because this car runs perfect and gets 30 to 33 MPG and has never let me down!" So again, why am I doing this research on motorhomes? Because I am now in the awesome position for the first time in my life where my kids are grown up and on their own and I'm not in a relationship (and vow to not get in one!) and I'm in the process of selling almost everything I own so I can travel extensively in the US, Canada, Mexico, and perhaps even farther south. Yes, that IS a very real plan that has NOTHING at all to do with how I accidentally changed one of my Yahoo Group email settings one day that unbeknownst to me at the time included the email address I use for that website you are so paranoid about. That profile that you are freaking out about was only there because of some other Yahoo group I was in a few years ago that was related to the subject matter of the group I was in. So please, again, stop with the paranoia and just be nice. Okay? Please? Thank you. :rolleyes:

Writing a book or not, if you are, please make sure you credit your sources. I have a lot of time invested in my "HowTos". a. I don't mind sharing my information with anyone.

Doing it the proper way is vary time consuming, i.e. removing all the edge trim pieces from the sides. Do not bend them, they can be reused. I would probably do it it 6 or 8 ft increments, i.e. pull the trim off, clean the old stiff, inspect, install new butyl, then move onto the next section. That way at least something is holding the sides on while your doing this.

I use paint thinner to remove the butyl remnants.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Writing a book or not, if you are, please make sure you credit your sources. I have a lot of time invested in my "HowTos". a. I don't mind sharing my information with anyone.

Doing it the proper way is vary time consuming, i.e. removing all the edge trim pieces from the sides. Do not bend them, they can be reused. I would probably do it it 6 or 8 ft increments, i.e. pull the trim off, clean the old stiff, inspect, install new butyl, then move onto the next section. That way at least something is holding the sides on while your doing this.

I use paint thinner to remove the butyl remnants.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I swear I am not writing a book about motorhomes or any other book and its really getting annoying that Linda follows me around FOR THE SECOND TIME with her toxic comments just because one day (Yes, I'm almost positive it was just one day!) I wasn't getting email notifications from the Toyota motorhome Yahoo group and so I changed my profile not realizing the profile change I made (and one I hadn't used in several years) revealed the domain email address from one of my websites. Linda was the one that pointed out to me so I immediately logged in and changed my profile and here I am about a month later still paying for that one thing. Linda, remind me to send you some photos when I finally do buy the right motorhome.

Thank you John. I really appreciate your help because I am asking genuine and sincere questions about these motorhomes due to the traveling I plan on doing.

Thanks

Steve

I wish there was a "toyhomes for dummies" book. we could just post that amazon link in here to NEWB questions.

Of course, books are for those that don't fancy meta searches.

My Escaper has corrugated fiberglass sides. There is about a 2" overlap at each joint. The seams are horizontal. Unless you live where it rains up most of the time, the only thing you would gain is a lot of ugly.

My Escaper has corrugated fiberglass sides. There is about a 2" overlap at each joint. The seams are horizontal. Unless you live where it rains up most of the time, the only thing you would gain is a lot of ugly.

This ^

There was a fellow on this site that did all of his roof repairs then covered the entire roof with bed liner maybe a search could turn it up really looked nice.

I see nothing wrong with buying and selling toyhomes.

For your personal profit or to share investment sense. If you're familiar with buying ans selling cars toyhomes is way easier

There are people that really want to get rid of them. There are people that really want them

They are low mileage toyota trucks so must of them run great.

The ones that don't aren't that bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a corrugated fiberglass Shasta.I fiberglassed with epoxy resin entire new plywood roof with one piece of biaxial cloth and covered one roof sidewall seam as well. Cloth was too short to cover both. Also epoxied rear corner seams with strip of cloth as well. No leaks in those areas. I still need to deal with front cabover seams. Would like to glass those as well.