OK Lets see PICS of your trailer hitches

ShaggyRV

OK. I have been searching and searching. I'm hoping that all of the folks out there with a hitch on their RV will post up pics with what they did and suggestions for those of us who want to put one on our RV. I know there are many here who say don't tow with these RV's. That has been discussed over and over again here. This post is for pro towing types. So pretty please with sugar on top can we all see what you guys who do it have? Thanks in advance folks!!

To many naysayers. But bolting on a hitch is not how its done. It took a week to design mine. A day to cut and weld.

Its a 3/16" 4x4 tubing and 1/8" 2x4 frame reinforcements

To many naysayers. But bolting on a hitch is not how its done. It took a week to design mine. A day to cut and weld.

Its a 3/16" 4x4 tubing and 1/8" 2x4 frame reinforcements

Yeah I guess you're right. I'm planning on some fabrication and welding. Just looking for ideas and lessons learned by others. It's much easier when you get good input from those before you.

Thanks

Paul

Yeah I guess you're right. I'm planning on some fabrication and welding. Just looking for ideas and lessons learned by others. It's much easier when you get good input from those before you.

Thanks

Paul

If you look at the Powder River Pass picture you will see that the Toy and the trailer are level. I won't tell you how much coffee it took to accomplish that.

On my hitch the receiver goes through the bumper for ground clearance, same with the power receptacle. The bumper caries the load. But if you look the receiver goes forward to a cross bar. The crossbar take the twisting load caused by the hitch ball being extended from the bumper.

I purchased a Curt hitch that slides over the Dolphin bumper and has 2 heavy bolts that go over the top to secure. No drilling nor welding, easy peasie. I got it at Blaines at Farm and Fleet here in Illinois for about 50 bucks. It has pulled my Harley and trailer fine for hundreds of miles with no sag, loosening, bending, or cracking issues on the hitch nor bumper itself. My bumper is standard issue Dolphin with the stinky hose inside, and was modified by my welder, who attached laddered 2 ½ in square steel box metal the bottom of the bumper, and 2 ½ by 4½ in steel box metal in line directly, 8 linear inches back from the bumper welded together and onto the right and left side truck frame. Once reinforced, I fit it on the hitch perfectly without any hassles. I can’t upload pics still, and is under the size permitted, so hopefully, I will be able to upload here again soon? Hope this helps, Peace!

Edited by Davidadro

I looked at mine yesterday, first time I've taken a close look at it (I was under neith looking at the air bags, they need replacing).

Anyway, I'm impressed, someone did a lot of beefing up when they installed it did a good job., I took some photos, I'll post them later tonigt

I've never toad anything, but after looking, I'd be comfortable towing a small car dolly or trailer.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yeah I'm still in Iraq and won't be home until end of July. I'm just getting ideas for now. To WME does your stinky hose fit inside the new bumper? I'm thinking of replacing the whole bumper and I like your setup. Just wondering with the reciever at the halfway point in the bumper if the hose still fits in there.

Heres some photos of my hitch. I did not install it, but it looks pretty good.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-06507500-1338342568_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-97876700-1338342569_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-59570100-1338342572_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-02643400-1338342576_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-99580700-1338342578_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-90674500-1338342580_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-40933500-1338342582_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-33598900-1338342585_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-07008600-1338342591_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-16267500-1338342631_thumb.jp

Yes I have a 10ft hose in my bumper. They collapse a lot. It goes on the side with OUT the brake receptacle.

WME

Yeah I'm still in Iraq and won't be home until end of July. I'm just getting ideas for now. To WME does your stinky hose fit inside the new bumper? I'm thinking of replacing the whole bumper and I like your setup. Just wondering with the reciever at the halfway point in the bumper if the hose still fits in there.

someone put a heavy one on my dolphion but i will never tow with it i bought a cargo platform from harber freight the good steel one and carry two light steal folding tables and may be a generator gas can works great

I went real low tech after touring the underside of my Sunraider with my local welder.

He said he could do it (run a frame back from where the Toyota rear axle frame ends) but why not just weld a 2” receiver on the 4” bumper and make sure the tongue weight was kept very low. You can see in these photos my bike trailer. I slid the front bike “shoe” to the balance point where I have just 40# tongue weight, including the spare tire. If I put something else like a spare gas can on I balance it to keep the tongue weight low. So far so good, with several thousand smiles on this setup. I also used a “Back Up camera” mounted in the rear window with the viewer placed over the rear view mirror, to make backing up easier.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/uploads/1306040454/tn_gallery_4529_24_5590.jpg[img/]

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/uploads/1306040454/tn_gallery_4529_24_41464.jpg[img/]

Maybe your bumper is built more solidly than mine. I have seen hitches let go that are not built properly. If your home made hitch fails and someone gets injured, your insurance may not cover you. If I build one, it will be stronger than the rest of the MH and will not break. My MH currently has a class 1 hitch wiht a 5/8" by 2" receiver insert with the receiver welded to the bumper. If I decide to do any towing, I will weld up a hitch that is attached to the frame.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I finally got around to shoot a couple of pics. had my welder reinforce the frame to bumper, and installed the over the bumper Curt hitch and heavy duty slider and ball.

post-5603-0-21747000-1343057282_thumb.jppost-5603-0-66406300-1343057352_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

I am extremely new here (1st post) I have a 84 sunrader. I will be traveling across the US living out of my toyota for a good chunk of time. My main concern is being able to take my suzuki drz with me. I do not have a hitch installed currently but was going to weld one to my beefy looking bumper. Would I be better off picking up a small trailer? Or would this perfect setup work? (Ideally I would go with this, but It may be to heavy?) http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XI056g31_as/TltysNTTZPI/AAAAAAAAB8w/BuoR2S_G04Q/s1600/Motorcycle+Carrier.jpg

Cheers!

When you pull a trailer, only the tongue weight actually adds to the capacity to the load upon your motor home frame, the majority of the weight if hitched properly is transferred to the wheels and axle of the trailer.

One's tow hitch welded to the frame gives you the pulling strength you need without adding the entire direct load weight upon the chassis. I am thinking that if you load a motorcycle and the hitch mount directly to the rear frame (it's weakest point) you might be in trouble for overloading its ability to support the home and the bike, as well as causing the front wheels of the home to make less contact with the pavement, which would could disastrous to handling, or stopping ability. I also would be concerned with that added weight being born for the most part upon the rear axle. I use a designated U-haul motorcycle trailer when pulling my Harley, and have no issues with load, or handling. It has a tongue weight loaded with the bike that I can pick up with one hand, and I can pull it at 65, and follows true. Just some thoughts to consider. Good luck!

David, well put. Great explanation! I always thought that way but never had it put into the right words. I guess ill be on the market for a small motorcycle trailer. Just a little bummed I won't be able to fit into single parking spots now. And I will also have to tap into my lights for the wiring harness. I know you mention the Uhaul trailer, but any recommendations on a lightweight small profile and cheap trailer to look into? Thanks again for the awesome info so far.

I was looking at this one at Tractor Supply here in Illinois, as it was recently on sale for $479.00, not sure of the regular price now, and once at the web site, you will need to put in your zip code to find the store near you and call for their price. I have seen many trailers online, but they always include freight shipping charges, and assembly. I looked, and they have Tractor Supply stores there in Western New York. It's 4 feet by 7 feet with a drop down ramp. For me, I have chose so far to just rent, since I only use my Toy a few times a year, don't really have a place to store a trailer without having to pay to store it somewhere, and the U-haul is only 15 bucks a day.

Here is the one I looked at this one and thought it was a good buy for what you get. Good luck!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/carry-on-trailer-reg-4-ft-w-x-7-ft-l-mesh-floor-trailer-1-600-lb-payload-capacity-1000231

Fantastic! I actually have a tractor supply in town and remember seeing all the trailers out front. Ill have to go check them out! Great forum you all got here. Cant wait to learn and contribute as much as I can. Thanks David.

Fantastic! I actually have a tractor supply in town and remember seeing all the trailers out front. Ill have to go check them out! Great forum you all got here. Cant wait to learn and contribute as much as I can. Thanks David.

Your welcome McDreezy, I have pictures in an above reply as well showing how I had my bumper reinforced onto the frame for added measure if that is a concern. Good luck, and happy travels!

Here are front and back hitches on mine. The back hitch has caster wheels to let you know if you start dragging bottom. Scares the hell out of me when I back her into the driveway. I have a slight slope and it's just enough to get them rolling.

post-6384-0-45072300-1345568717_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-25922700-1345568764_thumb.jp