Tachometer

Bob C

I am thinking about adding a tach to my Escaper. It hasa 22re and an auto trans and i would like to know how high I am reving when I get into the Rockies. Sometimes the sound to my ear does not match the actual RPMs. Would it be worth the effort to install a tach or would it be a waste of time and money?

Get a same year SR-5 instrument panel, it will give your a tach, oil pressure, voltmeter and resettable trip meter.

Just get the oil pressure sender too as the stock one won't do with a pressure gauge.

While you scrounging look for a clock.

The tach is very useful in the mountains.

post-18-0-84936700-1313732242_thumb.jpg

Any ideas what the cost would be at a salvage yard? The Toy is a 1987.

Just get a after market from auto parts store, that's what I did, I was wondering is it in over drive or not? is it the fan clutch making the extra noise? or the lockup converter locked or not now I know and on grades how much am I winding it up.

I just finished installing an aftermarket tack. The installation was easy. I am also half way done with installing a new stereo. The old stereo did not work.

I mounted the tach on the top side of the left side of the dash next to the pillar. It is not in your face but is easy to see.

My friend has been helping me and we are having a blast getting this thing totally ready to roll.

In addition to what other folks presented, I also installed a tach. and a couple of extra gauges as well. I like doing this kind of stuff, but don't feel it is a high priority. I have in place; water temp. gauge (kept stock as well), oil pressure (retained stock warning light) and added a vacuum gauge. The aftermarket water temp. gauge presented the biggest challenge as I wanted to retain the stock read-out as well. The vacuum unit is a bit odd, but provides 'lots' of information; indicates when your using 'lots' of throttle (gas), gives you information on timming and valve condition, and as well will lets you know (rather slowly) when you start gaining altitude as the vacuum readings will drop so much per (X) amount of altitude. The tach and vacuum seem to reinforce each other, that is to say, high rpm's (sudden) will likely cause low vacuum and higher fuel consumption. Then again, with the small engine (4cyl) most likely, we (I) will see high rpm's and low vacuum pretty often. Take care, Gerry

100_1109.jpg

100_1108.jpg

When you add a vacuum gauge you would never think one if the connection would be to your right foot. With a 22RE about the only time you'll probably see high vacuum is going down hill like crazy or at a traffic light!

In addition to what other folks presented, I also installed a tach. and a couple of extra gauges as well. I like doing this kind of stuff, but don't feel it is a high priority. I have in place; water temp. gauge (kept stock as well), oil pressure (retained stock warning light) and added a vacuum gauge. The aftermarket water temp. gauge presented the biggest challenge as I wanted to retain the stock read-out as well. The vacuum unit is a bit odd, but provides 'lots' of information; indicates when your using 'lots' of throttle (gas), gives you information on timming and valve condition, and as well will lets you know (rather slowly) when you start gaining altitude as the vacuum readings will drop so much per (X) amount of altitude. The tach and vacuum seem to reinforce each other, that is to say, high rpm's (sudden) will likely cause low vacuum and higher fuel consumption. Then again, with the small engine (4cyl) most likely, we (I) will see high rpm's and low vacuum pretty often. Take care, Gerry

100_1109.jpg

100_1108.jpg

I like that tach, can you give me more info on it, who makes it whre did you buy

Thanks

I like that tach, can you give me more info on it, who makes it whre did you buy

Thanks

That is the exact same tach that I installed in my Toy. It is made by Equus, Model 6086. Mine cost me $35. The same thing with a chrome ring is $40. I mounted mine on the left side of the instrument cluster between the pillar and the cluster. My cruise control is right his tach is.

The oil pressure sender for the light type cluster will burn out the oil pressure gauge of the tach cluster. Disconnect the sender wire at the sender. Just turning on the ignition will burn it out instantly. The oil pressure senders are different. different for both clusters. Not sure if that year tach cluster uses a oil press gauge, just a heads up if it does.

• 2 weeks later...

How difficult/expensive is adding a Tach to a 1993 V6? I would have to pay someone to do it.

the same tach will work with an 4/6/8 cyl engine. They are easy to install. Find a location that works for you, run on wire to your fuse block, one to ground, and one to a wire on your ignition.

• 2 weeks later...

Gerry,

Are those harbor freight gauges you used? How do you like them? Color match the oem green at all?

Yes indeed, on a trip to Harbor Freight I picked those up. They seem to work "ok" but outward indications suggest they are not of the highest quality. What I was attracted to was the gauge face that I found easier to read. The experience that I have with these in the Toyota are limited, but they appear to do what I need them to do, so I am happy. For me, in reality, I am looking for anomalies. Should the gauge always read a billion, when I see it reading 19, I am concerned enough to check things out. The H.F. gauges are not bad, but they certainly are not the VDO's that I generally have used. Hope this helps. Gerry

what is the rpm red line on the 22r 1983 motor. I have been thinking of adding a rpm gauge but I don't know the engins limits. At this time I use 2nd to 30 mph, 3rd to 50, and 4th so far to 73 mph. If some has a tac, could you tell me the upper limits of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear.

• 2 weeks later...

90toydolphin' >anyone with a v6 auto that can give me some rpm values at different speed points in different gears. just wondering what are safe high speeds in 1st and 2nd gears. 3rd and OD are not a real issure. thanks.

Manual for Mary's 91 says: 1st max is 29 mph, 2nd max is 54 mph. One way to see what the trans thinks is to floor it and see what speed it upshifts at, ours is slightly above those speeds, nevertheless I max it out below 23 / 48 . van,an

• 6 months later...

not to be a wet blanket but adding a factory tach/instrument cluster is

1. cleaner looking without all the extra wiring.

2. way easier to install.

3 wont hurt the resale value like all the add ons will (trust me, if or when you go to sell a potential buyer wont want gauges all over the place)

4. troubleshooting factory wiring is soo much easier, especially if you have someone else who works on it for you (mechanic)

a factory gauge cluster will run you about between 20-60 bucks, if you are paying more than that PM me I can get you a set- from any year