Okay, my restore project is going well so far. Fixed and changed several components.

I have:

1) Fresh NGK plugs

2) New Battery

3) New Muffler

4) Fresh oil & filter

5) New Air filter

6) New PCV valve

So pretty much the easy change "maintenance things" have been changed out.

I guess I'm trying to find out if there is any simple way to get a little more power. Perhaps 10 HP or so? I'm looking for simple methods if possible.

This is on a 1987 Dolphin 22RE.

I wonder if a fresh coil pack would do me any good, or fresh spark plug wires would do me any good to give me better HP. (No problems or misses right now).

I'm not looking for amazing results necessarily, but just some more "kick" if possible.

Thanks!

(Bunk rot project almost completed! Just need to pretty it up! - YAY - that was a BIG job).

Many ways but none of them cheap and they kind of go together! All and all any gain will not snap your head back (except maybe a 300hp V8 swap).

Speed cost $$, so how fast is your wallet???

The first things to do on a properly running engine is make it breathe better, Hi-flow air filter, cold air intake , less restrictive intake or all. Then you have to add a header and free-flowing exhaust system that was designed for the 22RE. (too much flow is a bad thing)

The second things would be internal, port and polish, adjustable cam gear, new or re-ground cam shaft for performance or torque…

I keep thinking that duct taping about 100 Estes "D" model rocket engines to the rear bumper might work on those long climbs. Or some mentos in a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi.

You might consider valve adjustment and a new timing chain depending on mileage. Other factors are worn distributor bearings. Synthetic oil, as already mentioned headers and free exhaust flow and intake. Changing the rear gear ratio will help keep the speed up on the hills but hurt cruising down the freeway like your on fire. LCE can really build you a motor http://www.lcengineering.com/

Then there is always Nitrous!

Since you already have the new muffler this is a little late but I've found a 'straight through' muffler makes a little more power on these than other types. Of course make sure all the tuning is spot on especially the valves (be sure whoever does the valves knows to not over tighten the valve cover). Stay away from the high flow/low filtration air filters - not a good compromise. I've also found the Toyota plug wires to work better than some aftermarket ones - even when old.

Okay, my restore project is going well so far. Fixed and changed several components.

I have:

1) Fresh NGK plugs

2) New Battery

3) New Muffler

4) Fresh oil & filter

5) New Air filter

6) New PCV valve

So pretty much the easy change "maintenance things" have been changed out.

I guess I'm trying to find out if there is any simple way to get a little more power. Perhaps 10 HP or so? I'm looking for simple methods if possible.

This is on a 1987 Dolphin 22RE.

I wonder if a fresh coil pack would do me any good, or fresh spark plug wires would do me any good to give me better HP. (No problems or misses right now).

I'm not looking for amazing results necessarily, but just some more "kick" if possible.

Thanks!

(Bunk rot project almost completed! Just need to pretty it up! - YAY - that was a BIG job).

• 1 month later...

So that means that non oxygenated gasoline gives you more power and better mileage??? I've really noticed the difference in mpgs, with winter gas (more ethanol).

A lot of good info here. Take Kim's advice to heart, its cheap and simple and will help and hurt the most. the TB setup is well described in the manual.

Valve adjust is also a must have, simple to do, replace the VC gasket while youre at it, and check for cam wear. depending on the mileage its well worth it.

Feel free to clean the TB as well as the Intake manifold, new gaskets and reassemble. I ran a magnacoil setup on my 22RE truck, removing the distributor, and giving the ability to fine tune the spark through the ecu.... its costly and tedious but you never have to deal with the distributor issues again.

Obviously the manual trans is a better alternative, some models were also sold without Power Steering, if yours is leaking and you can muscle it, remove it.

As far as intakes and exhausts, Toyota did a swell job in this regard for the stock motor. Keep the intake clean, fresh quality filter and you'll be fine. If you get a larger throttle body and/or ported head/intake then get a larger intake tube and filter...

The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the Catalytic converter. Most of these RVs have the exhaust extended about 8 feet out the rear. Relocating the Cat and Muffler further down stream will improve torque with minimal sound increase. The legalities are up to you... but dont forget most air filters say "for off road use only..etc"...........

• 2 years later...

Hi

have you tried putting in a more direct air feed from air box to inlet manifold and removing air box silencers and baffles on yota website mod has been done on v6's with good boost in low down torque. have just tried this on my v6 dolphin and can feel difference.