Sadie - A Wild and Crazy Gal!

shandamac

Wow! I've been major out of touch! Look at all the new members!!!!!!

Hiya everyone!!!

It's gonna take me weeks to read up on all the savvy bites and updates from the toy gurus and cool-as-beans posters. While I catch up, I'll toss this out there.

I am itching to take Sadie to visit St Maries Idaho: Starting point Shawnee, Oklahoma. I have been told that I was there once as a child. I don't remember. I've also been told by people I love, but don't want to believe, that my little 81 Sunrader won't make the mountains. (I think this is strange since her prior owners drove her down from Spokane WA.) I know uphill will be slow going. I have no problem with that, but my very boring and stodgy flatland advisors have put images of "the little train couldn't" in my head. I've begun having nightmares of my precious little motorhome sliding backwards down steep gravely mountain roads into the cavernous black abyss.

I don't even know what kind of questions to start asking? I won't be leaving until the end of June

I hope I'm being silly, and the only thing standing between me and the St. Joe is really just MPHs and MPGs.

Any pointers????

Thanks

shanda

Hiya everyone!!!

It's gonna take me weeks to read up on all the savvy bites and updates from the toy gurus and cool-as-beans posters. While I catch up, I'll toss this out there.

I am itching to take Sadie to visit St Maries Idaho: Starting point Shawnee, Oklahoma. I have been told that I was there once as a child. I don't remember. I've also been told by people I love, but don't want to believe, that my little 81 Sunrader won't make the mountains. (I think this is strange since her prior owners drove her down from Spokane WA.) I know uphill will be slow going. I have no problem with that, but my very boring and stodgy flatland advisors have put images of "the little train couldn't" in my head. I've begun having nightmares of my precious little motorhome sliding backwards down steep gravely mountain roads into the cavernous black abyss.

I don't even know what kind of questions to start asking? I won't be leaving until the end of June

I hope I'm being silly, and the only thing standing between me and the St. Joe is really just MPHs and MPGs.

Any pointers????

Thanks

shanda

Hiya Shanda! Well, since I have been successfully avoiding steep mountain climbs I am afraid I can't be of much help except to say "good luck" and "have fun":ThumbUp:

Take your time and use a low gear put a sign on the back that says "I maybe slow but I'm ahead of you!"

go for it! After burning my tranny fluid in deserts of utah i continued after trans flush on rt 70 over the rockies in colorado back to RI. 11000ft+ These trannys are the weak link but can still take a 2000 mile beatin! Love the sign ideaHA

enjoy prove em wrong

Check it out 22re automatic.

#1 Powder River Pass 9666ft

#2 Continental divide 10759 ft, but without trailer

Lots of purdey flowers along side the roads :rolleyes:

post-18-12743242757862_thumb.jpg

post-18-12743246606739_thumb.jpg

That's good advice. Don't be afraid to slow down to as low as 2nd gear if you have to (recline the seat and put a foot up on the dash while you're at it!) A lot of times the next lower gear will be "too low" and you'll actually have to let up on the accelerator. Better to keep the car at a healthy rpm rather than over rev or lug it. If you find yourself doing a ton of shifting on a long grade, just give in and stay in the lower gear and ease off the pedal if you have to.

<Deep sigh of relief> See, I knew you guys would have my back on this one. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Going to "totally do" the sign idea and will use the "low gear" technique on the steep inclines. Plan on traveling really, really light: just me, my oldest daughter, a fiddle, a guitar, a few bottles of water and some dry goods.

Sadie is equipped with a "hill brake". I've never used it. I'm not even sure what it's for. Any advice there?

"Stop honking, I'm pedaling as fast as I can"

When you are in those hilly areas maybe use premium gas and add some octane booster. I have been told it will help with power issues when at higher altitudes. Also a K&N air filter will help get O2 the the carb better! Maybe a motor guru will throw in some advice on all of the above.

When you are in those hilly areas maybe use premium gas and add some octane booster. I have been told it will help with power issues when at higher altitudes. Also a K&N air filter will help get O2 the the carb better!

Oooh. Will do!

Check it out 22re automatic.

#1 Powder River Pass 9666ft

#2 Continental divide 10759 ft, but without trailer

Lots of purdey flowers along side the roads rolleyes.gif

Pardon the hijack guys...

Just want to ask WME, what are those two tone colors of your MH?... I like!

And all the best to little Sadie!

I've been to St. Marie's a couple of times in my 1985 20-foot Dolphin and had no problem with any of the grades. Sure, it's slow going, but you'll see more scenery that way! Have fun and enjoy the ride, you'll be fine.

John

Thanks John.....Everybody!!!!!!! We're really excited about having an adventure and posting something to "Trip Reports".

Greg, Kudos to a great forum full of wonderfullness!

shanda

Pardon the hijack guys...Just want to ask WME, what are those two tone colors of your MH?... I like!And all the best to little Sadie!

It a factory trim. A lot of the Escapers just used two different colored fiberglass side panels

A hill brake is for starting out from a dead stop on a hill. It works the brakes and the clutch together, so you don't need to use the handbrake (or three feet to work all the pedals.) Subaru's used them alot in the late 70's-early 80's cars. If you have ever driven a gas powered forklift, it's the same principle with that third pedal.

A hill brake is for starting out from a dead stop on a hill. It works the brakes and the clutch together, so you don't need to use the handbrake (or three feet to work all the pedals.) Subaru's used them alot in the late 70's-early 80's cars. If you have ever driven a gas powered forklift, it's the same principle with that third pedal.

Thanks. Can't say I've ever driven a vehicle with that feature. At least I don't think so! Closest, I guess, would be a 'fly-off' handbrake. :rolleyes:

Great Explanation Bob!....I can see how that would be pretty handy. Sure better than playing the clutch and gas at an uphill light. (Really freaks out the cars behind you.) I'll find someplace around here to practice using the hill brake before I head out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya everyone!!!

Any pointers????

Thanks

shanda

Hi Shandra, I cannot figure out how to get my reply out of this box but oh well.......here goes! Oh wait it worked so am editing now wow

I just wanted to say Hi! I am new to the board. I just got an 88 or 89 Toyota Odyssey.....There is so much to learn that I am scared to death. lol

I am from Idaho but the southern part. I would think St Maries is a big enough town that there are no gravel roads but don't know.

this is one big concern of mine. will it make it over the mountains. Would like to go to Stanley Idaho but think there is a high pass to go over. I dont mind going slow but going backwards is out of the question LOL

I love your toyota! I sent all my family pics of it. Well I hope to say hello to everyone soon and have some before and after pics. Needs some work and Ihate woodgrain so want to paint, make curtains etc but first have to seal the roof.

Edited by cheryle

• 2 weeks later...

Cheryle,

So glad you're on the forum. You're in the right place. The toy gurus here are the best!!!!

Re: Going backwards on the high passes. I don't know what I was afraid of. Once I got to the Continental Divide in the Lolo National forest, there were only 2 spots where I felt the need to down shift to 2nd and take it slow, but never a concern that Little Sadie was not going to make it.

Joy, Joy, Joy. Giddy, Gurgling, Joy!!!!! My fears busted!!!!! Distant memories became the stories of early ancestors in conestoga wagons pulled by pack horses and mules, leaving family heirlooms along the way: Great grandma's oak dining table, Aunt Eidies old world side board and eggshell china, trunks of embroidered linens, lost forever. Ancestors who walked on foot as the animals huffed and puffed, wagon axles broke, wheels splintered. Stories of the Donner Party (though a different set of mtns at a different time of the year)......Just stories.....no relevancy to me and my little motorhome! A different day and age....I was in an '81 Toyota 22re engined motorhome, and we were so making it to Idaho. No question 'bout it.

Don't be scared!!!! Be enlightened! Do your research, but know you're not going to have all the answers! Some things you'll just learn on your own as you go along. That's more than half the fun.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions either.

Happy travels.

shanda