The Shakedown Drive, I think I actually conned Murphy!!! Or did he pull one over on me???

I moved this post to a dedicated thread over here:  Quick question, is this the 4.88 kit I need?

I am tearing into the rear brakes right now, well taking a break, LOL!  I will post those updates here when I get far enough in.  Well off to find more tools and pull the axles out!    

Edited by thewanderlustking

Ugh, the stupid cones are killing me.  They have been in there for 36yrs and are determined to stay in for ANOTHER 36yrs...  I have a can of almost useless Firestone penetrating "foam" crap.  My can of PB Blaster doesn't have any aerosol left in it and the nozzle is broken off.  I need to either go buy another can, or get creative since there is still fluid left in this one.   Or snag one from work tomorrow...  

A hammer on the axle lip didn't do it.  And a bolt broke off in the one extraction hole.  The other wasn't enough to pop it.  I will soak it all down with PB and  try again tomorrow I guess.  This is just the drivers side, I didn't try the other one yet.   I barely got the 12mm axle nuts off without snapping studs.  So I am soaking that side before I even undo those.       

I used an old deep socket.  Larger than the nut and cone, Slip it over things and a BFH and a sharp smack. If you don't have the cone trapped in the socket, Leave the nut on the cones can go a long way. 

you are striking the flange perpendicular to the studs  yes?  i've never had it not work. put a rag over them . they will fire out at an alarming speed

I smacked it at 90 to the face, and also from behind in the spaces at as much of an angle as I could. 

I will also try overtop like WME suggests and like I was doing again when I get some PB Blaster soaked into it. I suspect this has never been apart in 36 years. It only has 32k on it and no signs of issues like leaking wheel cylinders. 

Even my coworker just texted me to smack the flange like I have been doing. My stuff just be stuck. Figures. Oh el well it’s still progress. Wheels are off now at least. 

With PB Blaster and a proper 2lb whack a mole hammer, it came right out.  Putting the nuts back on a few threads kept all the cones under control

So now I just need to get the broken bolt out. Fun!  I also got the other axle out.  I don’t think I’m going any further in tonight. I’m beat.

D96C0160-659B-433C-B332-2482D81729BB.jpeg.3ad0fec93d7afd653fa7261cd348467c.jpeg

Broken bolt... vice grips from the back side???] 

I don't know your local tool store situation, but try a left hand drill.  It may actually unscrew the bolt or at least give you a good start for an easy out.

Some help for the next guy🙄 use some fine sandpaper and derust the cones and seats in the axle, maybe a tiny dab of anti seize. Somebody will love you for that bit of help 

Edited by WME

With the axle out now, there shouldn't be much/any pressure on the bolt.  I will offset punch it to give something to push into and try to spin it back out with a pick.  If that doesn't work, there are likely some reverse drill bits in my toolbox at work.  I am not too worried, I just hate that it happened.  I grabbed a bolt of questionable quality, so no surprise it blew apart.  I should have searched a little harder for a better bolt to begin with.  Meh...  Anyways thank you for the reminder, I need to go put the axle in my car!  I should be able to find something at work to solve it.      

I think most of my struggle was caused by crappy penetrating fluid, and a slightly wobbly hammer head.   The passenger side was only minimal effort.  And the drivers side, with PB and a bigger hammer, wasn't too bad either.  

I will definitely put some anti-size on things.     

Well if things get weird, a regular drill bit from the back side will unscrew it too.

My coworker Tom had the bolt out in about 5 minutes. I was doing something else and didn’t see exactly what he did, but he used some really nice cobalt bits and made very quick time of it. SUPER TALENTED wrench!  And a darn good all around guy too!  I work with some pretty awesome people!