1990 Odyssey Star Lite

El Rito

Hello,

Well, I just bought a 1990 Odyssey Star Lite, V-6. While researching I came across this site and found a couple of discussions on this particular Odyssey model, but they were dated 2018ish. I am wondering if anybody out there in the Odyssey universe has any new info on these. The Googles is surprisingly barren of info.

Cheers!223140616_196592555850542_1343920243200104491_n.jpg.58d3fb702764e4a12d6057f4ac0fcc5c.jpg

I saw that listed for sale. I thought it was pretty interesting. I wondered about replacing the canvas. 

I have a standard type of camper 1987 Odyssey and I've found very little info on it either. 

Hi, thanks for the response. The canvas is gone, but the couple I bought it from made a custom screen for it, which is even better in my book! A couple of things I would like to know is if there is any place where I can get some replacement parts, like grey water tank, what kind of ac I should put in (The first owner took it out apparently), etc... The other thing is the random no start. I picked it up this morning and drove it about 45 mins. home, stopped at the grocery store and it wouldn't start. Starter was replaced, and I do need to check if the battery is good, but thought maybe someone might have some ideas. Relay? Fuse? Also, the 12V system runs, but doesn't put out tons of power, so they usually just plugged into shore. At some point in the near future I hope to remedy that but am a complete motorhome newby, so will be trolling this site ALOT!

Any Tips Trix Advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

So most of these rigs came with a conventional window air conditioner that sat on the floor. Can you see where the original was mounted on yours? I need to see the interior. Pic of other side on outside etc. to figure out what went where on yours. Occasional non starting, could be battery or alternator or simply bad connection or ground. Any auto parts store will check both usually for free. When it comes to the Toyota stuff it's just a truck.

Interior 12 volt. There's a battery for that too. Do you know where it is? That also needs checking. Has to be replaced with a deep cycle battery. 

Grey water tank also need pics and measurement's. No premade tanks just for your rig so you have to find one to fit. Is old one  ABS, aka black? Those are the easiest to attach . Since no one has any docs for the Starlite your going to have to get very close on the size and gallons it holds. 

Linda S

I had a problem with occasionally not starting. I replaced the ignition switch and all is well. Before I replaced the switch, I also added a slightly hidden  fused push button direct from the battery to the solenoid. That still works fine if I ever need it again.

Thanks Linda and Mustrmrk-

I found out that the Late 80's Early 90's Toyota V6 pickups/4runners have a starter relay that was bunk from the factory. I found the solution Here- https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/rad4runners-1986-4runner-dlx-build-up-252300/index2.html in car anyone else ever needs this info too.

The AC was hooked up on the right side under the seat/bed if you are looking out the back window.  I guess I will have to look more into it when I have the time.

Thanks Again!

Great. Those AC units were standard house window air conditioners so instead of buying an $800 dollar RV unit you can use a $200 one from Walmart. There must be a place for a drain and it has to line up with the vent on the outside there to get rid of excess heat.

Linda S

I gotta tell you whenever someone buys a rare special motorhome like this it's real relief to know they know what they are doing. You obviously have mechanical skills so I'm happy about that. El Rito you've got this

Linda S

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's not like there are a bunch of Starlites to choose from. Only a handful were ever made. I have seen a Chinook roof removed and reshaped with some fiberglassing to hold it but it was a long time ago. I will try to find those old pics. Is the one you found a V6. Floor plan? I would love to see some pictures. 

Linda S

I will take some pics. It is a 4 cylinder, non-dually. Last owner beefed up the rear suspension with heavier springs. Ran great through some nasty hills around Springfield and Branson, MO. 

I found this lovely Instagram of living in an Odyssey. https://www.instagram.com/theleisureodyssey/?hl=en

Creator seemed to use CAD design to reimagine the interior floorplan. Impressive. The big rear window is such a great frame in her photos. I'm inspired and will need to be as a lot of work is in front of me. LOL

The Odyssey in the instagram is an Americana. Very different than a Starlite. Completely different roof too. 

Never did find the pics I was looking for to try to help you but I know you can't straighten out the roof unless you remove it. 

How is the fabric on the pop top

Linda S

On the roof.  I have a Sunrader with a roof pressed down by Idaho snow.  My plan is to strip the ceiling to bare fiberglas, make two plywood rams with the original shape of the roof, and use a floor jack to push the roof up and into shape.  Then, I will bow a dozen aluminum pipes to the same shape (done by a shop) and fiberglass them up against the ceiling one at a time in between the two rams.  Let it dry, move the rams a foot and do it again.  The pipes will be fully encapsulated with many laters of fiberglas cloth.

I've already tested the ram idea with the floor jack and was surprised how easily and how far I could move the roof back up.  So you may be able to do the same with your hinged roof locked down and perhaps weights or clamps around the edges to further restrict the movement vs the pressure of the ram.  I'll say it does not take much pressure but don't know the structure of your roof.  Mine is simply solid 3/16" fiberglas. 

Edited by IdahoDoug

• 5 months later...

Just saw one of these 8n Temecula & spoke to new owner. Too bad I did get her info. She was having trouble with leaking from roof "gutters" she called them. We encouraged her to look on line for posts like yours. Wish we had taken her contact info. V6 itself was in good running shape she said but RV was failing to be her new "home" so we met outside a Motel 6 she was staying at. 

• 3 months later...