Windshield Leak Water Gets Into Cab

sdboltdude

This morning while it was raining my car alarm started to go off

so ran out to see what was going on (in my underwear unfortunately) went out side everything was ok theft wise..

the alarm was shorting out from the rain..

water got into the cab by traveling from windshield then just keep flowing under metal/rubber windshield gasket and runs into where the left fender and door meet up

the water runs between the fender & door seam and gets into the cab

I went to a windshield repair shop he said windshield is sealed as far as glue goes would not say much about the trim kept sayings its not the windshield....

so I'm going to talk to another company see if they can put a better seal on it or more effort then last guy...

the metal & rubber look ok besides some bond-0 from last owner trying to stop this leak...

so the windshield is sealed no water gets in from windshield it just runs off windshield like their is no metal trim or rubber at all..

post-6388-0-90584500-1396485976_thumb.jp

if it does not have a hole through the metal i would think taking the glass out and replacing the rubber with brand new rubber and totally resealing the glass and rubber by a quality auto glass shop. i sure would check with another shop.

if it does not have a hole through the metal i would think taking the glass out and replacing the rubber with brand new rubber and totally resealing the glass and rubber by a quality auto glass shop. i sure would check with another shop.

yes a new rubber would work..and I think fix it

is the rubber universal..not hard to find?

I had a similar problem. When you take off the trim on the bottom there is a cover that goes across the vehicle where the fresh air comes into the cab. Once that cover is removed you will find a cavity that goes across the vehicle. That cavity opens to the fender and drains the water that come off the windshield to the ground. the hood hinge folds up into that cavity. There is seam that crosses the vehicle where the hinge and the firewall meet that make up the bottom edge of that cavity. Mine was rusted through at and above that seam. It was not visible from outside the cavity or inside the hood since it was above the seam inside the cavity. I cut into the cavity from the top and revealed the hole and sealed it up.

The first layer of metal that is at the bottom of your windshield on mine (an 85 model) came off with screws. I first remove the chrome at bottom of windshield and then remove the vented cover that goes across the vehicle. I was then able to pour water into the cavity and then check into the cab to see if I had water intrusion.

Yours may be different problem but that is how I solved mine.

Would your insurance company spring for (or help spring for) a windshield replacement? Conditions would have to warrant a replacement, but think about it.

Would your insurance company spring for (or help spring for) a windshield replacement? Conditions would have to warrant a replacement, but think about it.

That was my first thought but my deductible is $500 so would be cheaper to reinstall with new rubber

ty

Steve

... my deductible is $500 ...

Even for windshield? Maybe check your policy in case it's lower.

Around here, if I'm not mistaken, it's often $50-$100 and the windshield shops pay the deductible for you! Of course what that really means is that they boost the insurance company price.

I agree with Derek.

There is a national chain that repairs/replaces windshields. They are contracted by my insurance company - the one with the gnome and the lizard...

I called with a cracked windshield, and they came out to where I work - the replacement was $100 and took 1 hour for a corolla. They also vacuumed the car and offered new wiper blades at a good price.

I think if it is just chipped, they won't replace, unless it is real bad and cannot be repaired. Just one of my opinions, and I have many. So many that I have to give them away.

called insurance Progressive my deductible is $250 to get windshield fixed..

I did buy free windshield replacement for $30 a year..

their quote on windshield was $350.

I used a junk yard windshield install company for replacing windshield in my Nissan they did install for $35 I might call them up and see what they would charge.. They did a great & pro job..

Steve

Even for windshield? Maybe check your policy in case it's lower.

Around here, if I'm not mistaken, it's often $50-$100 and the windshield shops pay the deductible for you! Of course what that really means is that they boost the insurance company price.

I agree with Derek.

There is a national chain that repairs/replaces windshields. They are contracted by my insurance company - the one with the gnome and the lizard...

I called with a cracked windshield, and they came out to where I work - the replacement was $100 and took 1 hour for a corolla. They also vacuumed the car and offered new wiper blades at a good price.

I think if it is just chipped, they won't replace, unless it is real bad and cannot be repaired. Just one of my opinions, and I have many. So many that I have to give them away.

I'm thinking your insurance company won't pay for just leaks. Usually when auto glass guys put in a window they don't even use new molding. They remove your window clean it up and reset with black windshield adhesive. The trim on the outside is then pushed into that edge to give a finished look.

Also possible your drains in the cowl area are plugged and water can get in there.

Yeah just saw your post. have your junkyard guys reset it.

Linda S

I dabble in old car restorations. Here's a bit from my experience:

1. Check your drains to be sure they are not clogged.

2. Check your cowl (under the grille in front of the windshield). I had one rust out on a 66 Mustang (common problem).

3. Have a competent glass shop replace the windshield gasket.

A. Buy your own gasket unless you know that the installer is NOT using a third world gasket. Chinese gaskets will deteriorate much faster and will not seal as well. Your safest bet is to buy a genuine Toyota gasket (made in Japan).

Good luck and let us know your results.

I have talked to a couple of shops to replace rubber

around $65 to $85 with a 50% chance of breaking windshield..

new windshield 110 to 150 if old breaks...

I will look for a Toyota rubber gasket

Linda no leaks are not covered by my insurance they wanted $250 deductible to fix..

I've heard that 'breaking your windshield' routine many times. (When they say that, it is guaranteed that your windshield will be broken). I have taken many windshields out of cars and have never broken one and I am not a professional installer. If you remove the trim and carefully cut under the gasket on both the inside and the outside, you can lift the glass right out. NEVER pry on the glass and NEVER push on the concave side. You are going to need a new gasket because of the age of your MH.

I would NEVER try to install a windshield though. Here's where you will break it. Just take your new gasket along with your windshield to the glass shop and have them install

it. I have a good relationship with my glass shop and they take care of my many projects at very fair prices.

The removal process is very easy. Just take your time, follow my suggestions, have an assistant, and you'll be successful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-87-88-TOYOTA-PICKUP-WINDSHIELD-WIPER-MTR-STD-SPEC-288578-/150836188290?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1987%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3APickup&hash=item231e899482&vxp=mtr

OUCH!!!!

found this while surfing the web for new rubber gasket...

I've heard that 'breaking your windshield' routine many times. (When they say that, it is guaranteed that your windshield will be broken). I have taken many windshields out of cars and have never broken one and I am not a professional installer. If you remove the trim and carefully cut under the gasket on both the inside and the outside, you can lift the glass right out. NEVER pry on the glass and NEVER push on the concave side. You are going to need a new gasket because of the age of your MH.

I would NEVER try to install a windshield though. Here's where you will break it. Just take your new gasket along with your windshield to the glass shop and have them install

it. I have a good relationship with my glass shop and they take care of my many projects at very fair prices.

The removal process is very easy. Just take your time, follow my suggestions, have an assistant, and you'll be successful.

I will replace rubber

to me windshield should not break

I could take off rubber gasket off with little effort...

Im thinking of going to a franchise windshield installer and pay a little extra..

I called Toyota dealerships for giggles
the guy said your not going to like the $$$$
top & bottom $90 each =$180
sides lft/rt $60 each =$120
total=$300 before ca10% tax
I ordered 2 sets to be safe.... :first:

Random thoughts, see post # 13.

90% of the leaks are cowl problems.

The window is sealed by the gasket, the trim is just to make things purrddie

Redoing a window costs $$$, removing the wipers and the cowl vent cover cost you a bit of time.

Always start with the small cheap stuff when looking for a problem

their is nothing holding trim to windshield from every side I could peal off with no effort at all..I'm amazed it has not fallen off yet..

windshield is sealed good just need the purrddie trim glued back on

I think their clips that hold in trim if so I will need new clips...

Thanks Tony D for sugg

I have same problem but on passenger side. I will try your sugg. but i am a little unclear. After removing venting cover I need to cut into cavity? I am also missing lower passenger curved windshield cover. thanks for link to parts. It is a little hard to follow.

Hope you stop your leak.

thanks toy heads

After removing the cowl cover, you should be able to see a lot. Most of the time its full of wet leaves, those will rot and fill the drain tubes. That will evently rust out the cowl bottom, then when it rains, water gets inside.

Clean things out then fiberglass up any rust holes. An old speedo cable in a drill makes a good roto rooter to clean out the 2 drain tubes. A blast of compressed air from the bottom does wonders often.