Salvage Titles: always a pigs' ear?

The Toys are beginning to come out of hibernation!

I clicked on a listing only to discover discover it had a salvage title.   Should salvage offerings be immediately dismissed out of hand? 

If not, what are the issues for clarification? 

Would it *ever* make sense to buy one?  

Does a salvage designation forever remain with the vehicle.?

Scarlett

A salvage title means that for some reason the insurance co totaled the unit. Reason for the total is the real biggie. Stolen and stripped, stolen and taken for a joy ride, stolen and a family of 6 lived in it for several years, some body bought 2 RVs and made one or just in a wreck.

DO you know the skill level of the repairer??

Some states will wash the salvage title when inspected and the title is transferred to their state, some just rebrand the new title with salvage, its a real crap shoot.

They are usually many $$ less than a clean titled unit when selling later on. If your going to look at one find out why the salvage title and take a good mechanic along

1 hour ago, WME said:

... its a real crap shoot.

Thank you for that info.

A crap shoot is right, sounds like!  The one I spotted looked to have suffered a fairly minor fender bender on drivers door, but who knows what the impact might have done to the undercarriage? 

On top of that, despite the listing stating it  "just needed a little TLC",  it was plain the interior was rotted out & would be a real "project."  Asking price: $5000 FIRM.

(Poco a poco I am learning a lot here.)

Salvage titles can mean a good deal of things. Recovered stolen is just one it could have been a auction damaged one with greater damage than book value or a total wreck pieced back together. Yes salvage title sticks with it but many states do not require a title over a certain age so that removes the stigma. How ever 5 grand with rotted interior sounds like a pass regardless.

Many times a vehicle that has been flooded by either fresh or salt water will be totaled by the insurance company. Reasons are many, including corroded electrical wiring, premature rust, damp moldy smelling carpets etc.

I would check with your current insurance provider and find out if they will cover comprehensive on a salvage title. Many will only provide collision and liability.

A salvage title can be a good investment, but due diligence is a must.

12 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Many times a vehicle that has been flooded by either fresh or salt water...

A salvage title can be a good investment, but due diligence is a must.

The plot thickens.

After the Oroville Dam disaster only recently, I best be cautious of "flood refugee" Toys from that area...

Thanks, Fred

In California recovered stolen gets a salvage title even if there is absolutely no damage. First car I bought in Cal for my handicapped brother was salvage because the plastic rear bumper was cracked. Nothing else wrong with it. To be re-registered salvage vehicles have to go through an extensive and expensive inspection process on the vehicle section. For interior of motorhome there's no way to know . Only personal inspection will tell you the whole truth

Linda S

17 minutes ago, linda s said:

In California...to be re-registered salvage vehicles have to go through an extensive and expensive inspection process

Linda S

Thanks Linda--- & to all who have contributed info.

I hope I'm not sorely tempted by any salvage titled Toy.  I'm too new to the game.

Scarlett

Edited by Scarlett O'Hara
mispelled name

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, Scarlett O'Hara said:

Thanks Linda--- & to all who have contributed info.

I hope I'm not sorely tempted by any salvage titled Toy.  I'm too new to the game.

Scarlett

This is a salvage camper that I wouldn't hesitate to look into. These are great little motorhomes. Fiberglass like the Sunrader but tend to have nicer inside and fittings. It's already been to Mexico so it knows the way

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/6051387459.html

Of course every motorhome still needs careful inspection. This one has some miles on it but if it's been cared for the 22re should still be fine

Linda S

from looking at the photos and the owners description, i would not let the salvage title deter from a closer look. the price seems reasonable as well.  joe from dover.

That is a perfectly valid "good" reason for a salvage title. Run do not walk to check this unit out

OK, checked the listing.  Looks great.  But not sure I'm ready yet to give up my #1 desire: RL floorplan. 

Next issue, I decided to contact seller ASAP anyway, only to discover a sign up glitch with email service I just days ago signed up for& paid for.  I'm not having an luck yet resolving the issue, thus cannot contact seller.  I am a luddite at heart.

What I want is to talk to seller by phone.  I am new to computers & about to pull my hair out!  Any chance one of you could email seller & get a contact phone # for me?    If not appropriate,  forgive my asking...My trial period email address expired today, which is why I paid for a subscription several days ago, but now there's a glitch.  So have, for now, no contact email address...

It's always *something*!

Edited by Scarlett O'Hara
info added