up hill driving

I have a 1986 Toyota mini motorhome 22 feet 4 cylinder 22RE EFI  1 ton axle rear wheel drive LOL. I have heard obviously if you have the 4 cylinder version it will go slower and the engine will over heat when you drive up hills if I did enough hill driving would I literally blow the engine this is something I want to avoid obviously. I tested the vehicle up hills a few times I make sure the AC is off but one time I forgot and I slowed down traffic just a bit until I realized it was on and turned it off LOL. Has anyone had bad experiences mechanically from doing to much up hill driving and no I do not floor it when I go up hills thanks. 

If your radiator is good and everything is working properly there should be no problem. Lots of us live in Colorado and I have gone over the Sierra Nevada mountains dozens of times. Might get hotter than driving on flat ground but not dangerously so. Yes turning off your AC is expected. On newer vehicles the AC shuts off automatically on hills. There was a time when before a steep hill many roads had a sign" turn off your AC".

Linda S

The trick to toyhouse hillclimbing is DOWNSHIFT and let it rev.  The 22R is about as bulletproof an engine as there ever was. It will scream along at 4K or better all day long. When climbing into Yosemite from the east side, over Tioga pass, I found that 1st gear is the way to go. This means a top speed of around 25 mph, but it will do so with virtually no throttle. It made this climb with 4 people and plenty of stuff. Didn't even break a sweat. When you get in trouble is if you leave it in drive, as it will shift to second and fall on its face. And the natural response is to give it more throttle to try to keep it in second. It is a losing battle. The trouble is, is the 4 speed auto is a very wide ratio gear box. It will pretty much climb a tree in 1st gear, but it won't hold second on steep grades.

I have a 6 cylinder - I find climbing hills in 2nd gear at about 35-40 mph works pretty good. Most manuals state one should let the tran handle downshifting going up hill - I find that it will not downshift to keep engine in power band unless pedal is floored - rather extreme.  Also as it accelerates and I back off the pedal it upshifts.  Works good on flat lands but not in the mountains.   Downhill I shift as neccessary for compression breaking.  Turning off OD, then later shifting to 2. Depends on the desired speed.

If i had a 4 cyl,with auto tran, I would be more concerned about overheating the ATF.  It is a hydraulic fluid and if overheated, it breaks down quickly with $$ results.

Dan, you are correct. Who ever wrote that manual sure as heck never drove through Yosemite in a 4 cylinder toyhouse, or 6 cylinder for that matter.  Shift manually. Run at a fairly high rpm with very little throttle is the way to go. How steep the grade is determines whether you will do this in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear.

Yeah, I live in PA and I shift that automatic almost as much as I would a stick. You get good at it after a while. As soon as it drops to 45 mph I'm already into second, at about 28 I'm into first. I don't wait for automatic. Tranny fluid is still pink, engine temp does not rise.

So it would be OK to manually shift into 1st and keep it in 1st gear for extended periods to climb a steep hill? I don't have a tachometer and can't install one. Haven't driven in any mountains yet and am concerned. Just driving some steep hills in S. Ohio my Granville (22RE) struggled and downshifted into 1st revved real high then shifted into 2nd and I lost power. These are just hills and not mountains! So what is the correct way to approach a steep hill and begin manually shifting? How fast can you climb in 1st and for how long before overheating or damaging the engine or tranny?. Do you drive up the hill normally and then manually downshift when the engine starts to bog down? Any tips greatly appreciated!!

If you do mountain driving you NEED a tach.

Simple answer  http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3-8-Sun-Super-Tach-II-Tachometer-White-Chrome-Bezel-CP7903-/351824235638?hash=item51ea5bcc76:g:bg8AAOSwdIFXxbtd&vxp=mtr

Coolest answer,  you also need the correct oil pressure sender.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1988-Toyota-Hilux-Pickup-Truck-84-89-4Runner-Surf-SR5-Instrument-Cluster-/222236256066?hash=item33be502742:g:864AAOSwknJXywto&vxp=mtr

Red line on a 22r series is 5750 rpm so climbing at 80% of that is not hurting anything.

That would be around 35 in 1st and 60 in 2nd.

Yes it will sound like its turning a zillion rpm, but its not.

Thanks WME! I'm not a mechanic so installing a tach is above my humble abilities! Your info on speed and gearing is very helpful. Since you live out West you undoubtedly have experience climbing mountains. Here in Ohio we have none:-) When I was in Colorado 3 years ago we went up Mt Evans in a 6 cylinder Chevy Suv. It took a long time climbing up & I am concerned the Toy 4 banger would crap out before reaching the top driving that long in 1st gear! Any thoughts? My radiator is OEM in perfect condition and I installed the Toyota 2 stage thermostat. I have 36K on my rig. Thanks again!

Ain't that the truth Derek! Don't know if the little 22RE could do that. Steepest road I ever drove (not in my Toy!)

Wondering now to accomplish that feat in a 4 cylinder Toy?? Anybody drive up Mt Evans in their 4 banger Toy and if so how did you do it without blowing up the engine or tranny? Advice appreciated!!

One of the members here just posted his trip and part of it was going up highway 14A in Wyoming. 10% and higher all the way for about ten miles. I went down that road once in a Dodge an and had to stop 4 times to let the brakes cool but he made it up just fine. Read second note here

http://www.whp.dot.state.wy.us/home/ports/mountain_road_information.html

Just checked the map too. It's more like 18 miles to the top

Linda S

With my 86 Escaper 22Re automatic, I've pulled a 5x8 trailer over RT 16 (#3 on Linda's posting).  I had a 3 row radiator, in 95 degree weather, a trailer, AC on and a 10,000 ft pass. My temp was 2/3 going over the top.

Without the trailer I've been over 12,000 ft passes.  The temp was below 1/2.

I understand the terrain just don't know now to drive it with my Toy. Keep it in 1st or 2nd for many miles up steep hills and as long as she doesn't overheat all is OK? Wont she be screaming:-)?

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

I understand the terrain just don't know now to drive it with my Toy. Keep it in 1st or 2nd for many miles up steep hills and as long as she doesn't overheat all is OK? Wont she be screaming:-)?

Yep, it sounds like abuse but its easier on the engine and transmission that lugging it up a hill at 3000 rpm.  Just take a china marker and make some marks on the speedo. The actual red line in 1st is 47 mph, 2nd is 78 mph. So 35 and 60 isn't over straining things.

Me, myself and I typical climbed at 25-30 in 1st and 45-50 in second. I manually shifted into 2nd or 1st and when the road would flatten out a bit I just let up on the throttle and maintain the same speed, when the hill went up, back on the throttle and try to keep my climbing speed. Shifting between gears while climbing is wasteful and hard on the transmission. With proper technique you will get to the top eventually and maybe even pass a few 18 wheelers.

Edited by WME

the 22RE has 5 main bearings if you keep it reving you will keep it alive ., and cool. lug it and  you kill it and the trans. gear down on steep down grade also and pump your brakes don't ride them.

I have gone through the Rockies in my old 87 21' and it did fine. I seldom manually downshifted, I found that it was pretty easy to find the proper throttle position to keep it in a good gear at a good speed. 

The toughest pass I ever did in that rig was some mountain pass going from Reno NV to lake Tahoe. 25mph in first gear was no problem for it.

But honestly, I don't know what's at the top of Mt. Evans but I would just personally avoid bringing the toy home up there. Park at the bottom and Get a ride with someone else.

Thanks bicoastal but I am inquiring how to properly climb with the 22RE 4 cylinder not 6. Been to Mt Evans twice in last 5 years never saw rides to the top though. Thanks Everyone for comments and suggestions! Seems these 22RE's can rev very high for extended periods without damage. Anything to look out for while climbing to signify possible developing problems?? I will be travelling alone with my 2 pups and I don't think they can offer suggestions:-):-)!

Your correct! Was looking @ his bio 6 cylinder dolphin and didn't read his post correctly. Sorry!

I am the person that Linda was referring to in her post.

In June I crossed the continental divide 8 times on my vacation including the west side of the Big Horn Mtns from the west.  The engine got warm but did not overheat on any of our climbs.  We did stop and let it cool off a couple of times.  We have an '88 Escaper with 22Re engine and overdrive.  The first thing I did when I bought it was to install a SunPro tach, it took about 1 hour.  

i manually shifted the RV on almost every hill I drove on.  The sure way to kill these engines is to lug the engine.  it will spin along at 4000 rpm's all day without getting hot.  We actually got the better mileage driving in first and second gear at a slow speed than we did at 55 mph in third gear.