Sunrader to Burning man

Stijn

Hello Everyone,

Making a new topic here about bringing a Sunrader 18 Ft to Burning Man. And how to prep it against the dust and heat. All tips are welcome! And I'll add photos and learings of the before / during / after.

Things I've done so far:

- Made reflectix screens for every window.

- Installed a 200w renogy solar set.

- Made a swamp cooler that I plan to use.

- Made a custom flagpole out of PVC tubing 

Things I plan doing at the event:

- Tape off all black window seams with blue painters tape to protect against the dust, heat and coloring

- Bought AC filters to tape over vents (any recommendations on this are very welcome), since I plan on using my propane fridge.

- Tape off the air intake

- Install a new air filter once I leave the event

Questions I have so far: 

- Should I install a CO2 alarm? Or should I be fine on the fridge (not planning to use the heater)

- Any other weak points I should be aware of?

Please reach out with questions or tips!! 

Thanks,

Stijn

IMG_3847 2.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

You can try to seal things up to keep out the dust, ain't happening.     Or use air pressure to do it.

A fantastic roof fan, a cowl over the cover and a high quality filter over the inlet. Run the fan in reverse. This will pressurize the RV and keep the dust out. Same idea may work with the swamp cooler just keep the out let area in the rv small enough to keep positive pressure in the RV.

You don't need pounds of over pressure just the tiniest amount will do the trick

I've been last year so I know I will end up in dust, part of the fun! just trying to keep the inside as clean as possible, just to get good sleep.

Thanks for the tip WME! I looked at the fantastic fan, but didn't proceed with it, because I'm not sure I can finish it in time. However very interested in how I can achieve this with the swamp cooler. Could you be more specific on what you mean with 'keep the outlet area small enough' ?

Do you think I should place the swamp cooler outside the camper and feed the air outlet into the camper with a air conditioner hose, or should I place the swamp cooler inside the camper?

Let me know!

Thx!

Stijn 

Yes swamp coolers are a desert thing. They do not recirculate air like a normal AC. They cool the air once, blow the air into your house and out an open window.

You MUST have an outlet (window OPEN). Swamp coolers add humidity to the air as part of the cooling process. If you recirculate the air the humidity increases and the cooler stops working. See Derek's chart.

Stjin got a pic of your cooler?

Stijn your going to need between 350-400CFM to maintain a 20 degree temp drop. Open a couple of windows about 1" and see what happens.

swamp coolers are very common in the very low humidity of eastern Washington state. I think in the south west u s also. that home built 12 volt is very neat . there is a factury built unit made to fit in the 14 inch vent . but they are not cheap.

51 minutes ago, Totem said:

So if i understand the swamp cooler correctly you must constantly feed it water to work, yes?

There is a pretty good wikipedia article on the topic. Click on the photos on the right and go through the gallery of examples.  Some cool stuff (pun intended).  The window mounted Kool-Air on a 1949 Hudson for instance.

cooler.jpg

Some more tips.... Putting refletix inside to cover the widows is a help, BUT there is hot air traped between the refletix and the window and that will bleed into the hose. Better to put it outside , then your putting the widows in the shade. A simple home made tarp awining will make shade too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

So I got back from Burning Man, the Sunrader did great... so reliable and a great setup to sleep. Had a blast... but now cleaning up all the dust is the next big task.

Any ideas on how to tackle the alkaline dust the best way possible? I have a small air compressor, and I will wash the RV with a vinegar and shampoo mix.

Do I need to watch out for certain parts who are extra vulnerable to the alkaline dust? I already blew out as much dust as possible from the engine, any ideas on how to 'wash' most parts of the engine?

I want to minimize the impact of the alkaline as much as possible.

Thanks!

Stijn

Most of the day carwashes have a clean engine button, lots of water will getter done.

Make sure the carwash has an engine cleaner function and keep the spray away from the distributor. Use a rinse function to clean things off NOT wash. Go for it

I personally will not camp in a camper or even go fishing in a ice fishing shack without a CO detector.  Every year, at least a couple of people die here in Wisconsin due to improperly operating or operated propane equipment.  Deer hunters also die in their hunting blinds due to improper venting of heaters.  That would include an lp refrigerator, water heater, or furnace.  If it burns lp, it can kill you if not vented properly.

Our detector went off one time, it turned out to be a low battery in the detector.  It reminded me to replace the battery in the rv twice a year.

Edited by Bob C