Ping Sound

LotsaKidz

We are prepping for a weekend trip, but when I went out to the (unplugged) camper, the lights were all dim and the battery level on the panel showed "Low". When plugged in, I noticed from inside, a noise coming from the power panel: a click and then a "ping" sound. Then again about 30 seconds later.

Any idea what this could be? Please be simple with any replies; I am not very electrical-savvy and husband is not either.

Most likely a relay is disconnecting the battery from interior circuits. Normal to make a little noise. Perhaps more from disuse.

Sounds like the auto reset circuit breaker to me. It is an indication there is a short some where was the battery recently replaced? If it was make sure the polarity is correct.

Post #4 x 2

Husband recently cleaned some corrosion off the batteries, refilled them with distilled water, and replaced them. He thinks the polarities are all correct. There are three batteries in this camper; one in a compartment by itself on the driver side, and two more in what appears to be the old generator compartment on the passenger side. Oh, four if you count the engine battery, but I wasn't. The single battery is quite warm.

We have been out there all morning working on things with it plugged in and the power keeps turning on and off, and it pings every time it turns on or off. No one is messing with it and the plug is firmly seated, but it will randomly turn off and then a few minutes later turn back on. When the power turns off, it switches to the battery, but the lights are dim, so the battery isn't strong.

I guess the next step is to check that the batteries are working. But any idea why it would continually turn on and off even when plugged in?

Not sure if photos would help, but attaching just the same.

post-7027-0-76688100-1452710853_thumb.jp

post-7027-0-90183000-1452711102_thumb.jp

You have got to check the polarity on the coach batteries the truck one is right or you would have all kinds of issues. The noise is the breaker turning off cooling then turning back on. Some thing is shorted or the battery polarity is reversed. Batteries posts are different sizes the bigger one is + the small - usually the positive wires will be red but as old as the MH's are that is not some thing you can rely on. I just had a look at you picture you have two 6 volt batteries. They need to have the positive post of one going to the negative post of the other (the jumper wire in the photo) this makes 12 volts that should produce a + and a - left over one is ground the other is positive. If they are joined + to + -to - then they are only 6 volts and it's going to be a fight with the charger and may be you "twang".

if there was no trouble before the batterys were cleaned. if the cables were un hooked to clean. maybe they were not put back in the right order .

You need to disconnect one lead from the "hot" battery until you figure it out.

Old RVs have a total mishmash of wiring from previous owners. You need to follow all the wires and LABEL everything when you get it hooked up right.

Your best friend will be a $25 Digital volt meter. You should also find the C/B that is pinging and plan on replacing it soon. The breakers become erratic when "exercised" to much.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Husband took the single battery and had it tested, and it needed replacing. Now that it's done, we have had no other issues (fingers crossed). I just couldn't figure out how a bad battery could affect the power when the camper was plugged in to shore power.

The other two batteries are labeled "golf cart batteries", so they could not be tested at the facility we went to. We are undecided if we should replace them when they expire, or just function with the one battery. Any opinions on that? Didn't the original camper only have one coach battery and one engine battery?

Whether to maintain the number of batteries will depend on how much electricity you expect to use. i have two coach batteries because I have a 12 volt compressor refrigerator and don't want to run down a single battery too much and then not have enough power to run my furnace if needed.

the campers I am familiar with have a power converter. When shore power (120V AC) is detected, the converter disconnects (isolates) the house battery from the 12v dc system. The 12v DC bus is powered by the converter AND the converter charges the house battery.

Note my experience is based on 92 and 93 winnie warrior/ itasca spirit models.

Your unit may not isolate the house battery.

A bad battery could cause the isolation function to go a little nutty. Reversing polarity could cause issues. I noticed one of the wires in one of your pics had been painted red.

I also think taking a good look at wiring and labeling it.