Psi Recommended For Rear (Tandem) And Front Tires On My Winnie.

Interesting as I was planning to go out and weigh the rig this week. Actually went Sunday but the Cat scale was closed. Figured while the rig is loaded for a trip, I would see where I ended up after rehabbing the RV.

Going by the recommended pressure on the vehicle is not always a good idea. I drive an Explorer. If I reduce to the recommended pressure I would be driving a meat bucket just waiting to flip. I keep the tires on my motorhome at 55 front and 60 back. My ride isn't too hard and my handling is very good. My tires wear at these pressures is perfectly even. There's no secret formula. If you stay within reasonable parameters your tires and rig will be fine.

Linda S

Interesting as I was planning to go out and weigh the rig this week. Actually went Sunday but the Cat scale was closed. Figured while the rig is loaded for a trip, I would see where I ended up after rehabbing the RV.

Here is what my 93 Seabreeze with V6 auto weights. This is what came with the unit, I will not weight it till I am done.

Left Right

front 750 775

Rear 2850 2860

Jim

I have an Itasca Micro Mini 19 foot no generator and the AC was removed. Brochure online says the GVWR is 5500lbs.

RV is pretty much loaded up for camping and I've returned everything back into it I had in storage bins in the basement including the cushions, mattress topper, folding chairs and such. I've swapped out the storage box on the back for my Pelican cooler which left enough room for the small stainless travel grill on the back as well. What used to go in the box now goes in the storage under the closet like small pop up screen tent, water hoses, extension cords and such.

Today I took it to the Cat scale after filling up the fresh water tank, propane and gas. So pretty much everything including me, minus the food and clothing and the Mrs (she is a tiny woman)

2000lbs front axle, 3460lbs rear. Total 5460lbs loaded up with what we consider traveling light but complete. Wish I knew what it weighed before I took it apart but I really was careful about what I used going back in. We were careful to purchase lightweight dishes, pots and pans and such though I do tend to load up the cooler with ice and beverages.

Among the weight I added was a rear tube bumper and extruded cover extended out so I could store my waste hose and have a cargo rack on the rear. Two scissor leveling jacks I attached to the back frame. Drivers side storage has the front jacks and leveling pads. I also added a toaster oven and small microwave.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good that I'm not overly heavy.

Wow, you are 1700lbs less than me! Hard to believe it weights that much more?

Did you look for load and inflation tables yet?

I'm going to have to fill mine up with helium balloons to get the weight down : ) Jim

jjrbus-Are you sure about the rear weights? I have a 21' Escaper and my rear weight is under 4000 pounds.

Mine is short and no AC and generator. I contacted Nexen about the tables. Have not heard back yet.

I don't have any frame of reference as to how heavy these things get. This is the only one I've owned. I'm just happy I am close and not over GVWR

No not sure about the weights, these are the documents that came with the vehicle.

Mine is a 21 foot 93 Sea Breeze with V6 auto. Would be nice if it was wrong. Jim SW FL

Weighted my 94 Warrior two days ago. Leaving for Alaska and have the kitchen sink along with everything else. Water 21 gal, fuel 17.5 gal. propane full, two occupants, not telling their weights, more clothes than we need and food. Front 2150 Rear 5050, total 7200 #. Running 60 psi all around. Handles ok with the occasional wander with wind gusts.

There goes the hope the documents I have are wrong! Interesting that your front is 625 lbs heavier? Yet we are within 35 lbs of each other. Thanks for posting. Jim

I feel so much better about what kind of strain I might be putting on the bearings after reading your weights. I just didn't have any sense of reference till I weighed in yesterday and then learning that some go much heavier. Thanks, guys.

Weighed my 91 Warrior just before a trip. 3300# rear axle, 2000 # front axles, and then whole camper at 5300. Nobody onboard, no water, minimal propane. At that time, a generator was installed.

...SORRY... SEE EDIT :(

Info plate on my '91 Dolphin with Onan gen says 37# front 45# rear. Tires really flatten out too much at that.

After much experimation I settled on 47# fronts. 57# rears. And 83 left / 79 right # for freeway on bags, around town 65# left, 60# right. Both the gen and white water tank are on the LEFT side.

All 7 tires are RA08's.

I asked this about 2 years ago and I think I heard 60 lbs for the rear dual tires and 40 for the front tires. Any facts to share about this?

Here are some "facts" from Toyota. If a dually - 35 PSI even when run at max load, front and back. If a single-tire rear - 65 PSI. Toyota shipped the cab & chassis trucks for RV use is 6 ply rated tires with dual wheels. If with single rear wheels - Toyota shipped with 8 ply rated tires. Some RV makers gave higher pressure ratings for redundancy so if one tire went flat in back - the three remaining could still safely carry the load.

I run 45 PSI in the rear of mine and I've got 8-ply rated tires.

Note that four tires inflated to 35 PSI have a total load capacity of 5400 lbs. just for the rear which is a lot. Note that when front and back are inflated to 35 PSI - the total load rating for those six tires is 8100 lbs. If one tire in the rear goes flat, the three remaining @ 35 PSI still have a load capacity of 4,050 lbs.

When we inflate all 6 tires to 50 PSI - the total capacity is 9600 lbs. The four in the rear have a 6400 lbs. capacity.

Those are the facts. What you do is your choice. Overinflating makes the tires wear out faster but gives lots of extra load capacity.

Attached image is from thte Toyota 1990 cab & chassis manual for coach builders.

post-6578-0-87191100-1435250875_thumb.jp

The fact is that if you have a 6PR tire flat in the rear, the remaining tire is only rated for 1600lb @ 50 psi. If you've got 4000lb (evenly distributed side to side) you've now got 2000lb on a tire rated for 1600lb. Not my definition of 'safe'. Even an 8pr tire is rated @ 1875lb @ 65psi. 'Safer'. I'd seriously reduce speed to find the nearest safe place to change/fix the flat and not 'carry on' as if it's 'safe'. :)

The fact is that if you have a 6PR tire flat in the rear, the remaining tire is only rated for 1600lb @ 50 psi. If you've got 4000lb (evenly distributed side to side) you've now got 2000lb on a tire rated for 1600lb. Not my definition of 'safe'. Even an 8pr tire is rated @ 1875lb @ 65psi. 'Safer'. I'd seriously reduce speed to find the nearest safe place to change/fix the flat and not 'carry on' as if it's 'safe'. :)

If you've got 4000 lbs.just on the rear axle - the 21' Toyota RV is loaded beyond max. specs anyway. So yeah, if you have an RV loaded beyond it's rated max capacity - makes sense to over-inflate the tires. Most of the 20-21' Toyota RVs have a max 3750 lb rear rating and some less. That's 1850 lbs. per side (or less). So if someone wants to be sure one tire can safely carry the load when the other is flat - max pressure with an 8 ply-rated tire makes sense. That being said, if you got a flat in the rear with the tires @ 35 PSI or 50 PSI - the remaining inflated tire on the flat side is not going to all-of-of-sudden blow up. Just going to have the wrong profile it is designed to ride at. Now maybe if you keep driving at highway speed for 50 miles - that one inflated tire might give up - or the damn flat one will catch fire and end any further concern for the RV.

And some more. The specs YOU posted show 4400lb.

Yes, but we all don't own 1990s. As I said, the ratings vary. E.g., 1988 is lower then 1990, and 1985 is lower then 1988.

post-6578-0-10662200-1435318179_thumb.jp

There often are two tire pressure spc. plates on the Toy Home one from Toyota and one from the coach builder usually on the panel behind the drivers seat. The coach maker calls for a much higher pressure than Toyota. Toyota ratings were for a pickup not a motor home. Mine said 50 psi both ends.

. Toyota ratings were for a pickup not a motor home. Mine said 50 psi both ends.

The specs I posted are not for a conventional pickup truck. They are from the Toyota factory manuals for coach builders using HD cab & chassis trucks and the PSI ratings for the tires given by Toyota go by the max GVWR.

I assume Toyota gives the specs for tire pressure that put the tire in the right profile for best ride and wear. Thus the 29-35 PSI ratings at max load. On the other hand, coach builders probably do not trust RV owners to be meticulous about checking tire pressures on a daily basis (like done on commercial trucks) and also wanted some insurance against overloading beyond max. rating. Thus the higher ratings given by coach builders.

Trying to advance beyond nit-picking, it's obvious (to me, anyway) that it is NOT safe to continue with one tire flat on the rear as if nothing has happened. Whether an '85, '88 or '93. Even with 8PR tires inflated to 65psi.

I suspect that the reason 50psi front and rear keeps popping up is that's the maximum pressure rating for 6PR tires.

If I were the original poster I would be very confused by now. Jim SW FL

While I'm positive derailing the conversation into one about weight didn't help clarity, I'm guessing Dan is sharp enough to separate the wheat from the chaff in what has become a tread that yields some pretty good information.

The weight part is also very much inter-related topic wise. Yup, I'm just going to stick with that.

Trying to advance beyond nit-picking, it's obvious (to me, anyway) that it is NOT safe to continue with one tire flat on the rear as if nothing has happened. Whether an '85, '88 or '93. Even with 8PR tires inflated to 65psi.

I agree 100%. I've seen flats on dually rigs catch fire when driven too long. But - many Toyota and Datsun RV owners with full-floating duallies have no spare tire for the back. If the front does not match the back - you need two spares to have things covered. I've heard many Toyota RV owners say (including one moderatlor here) that a spare for the back is not essential since if one goes, you can just keep driving until you find a shop to repair the flat.

Personally - I like having one spare to fit the front and the back. If mine did NOT match - I'd have two spares.

Tire pressure IS confusing. A tire is designed to ride at a certain profile and that is determined by the weight pushing on it, versus the air inside pushing back.

Using the correct air pressure for the perfect profile is often not the same as correct air pressure for "redundancy" and "extra insurance."

"Keep driving" and "continue as if nothing happened" are two different things. No I do not carry 2 spares for my tiny Sunrader. Yes I have had flats, and yes I have driven

slowly and carefully to the nearest tire repair store. If the tire that was flat looked shredded I would have removed it before driving any distance at all. I keep my rear

tires at 60 and each flat was a very noticeable event. I would imagine at 29psi it

would feel much worse. Mind you my rig is only 18 feet. With a large rig the effect

could be far greater.

My tires are near the end of a long life and at 60 rear and 50 front the wear is perfectly even so don't think the lower pressure is better for your tires.

Linda S

"Keep driving" and "continue as if nothing happened" are two different things. No I do not carry 2 spares in for tiny Sunrader. Yes I have had flats, and yes I have driven slowly and carefully to the nearest tire repair store. If the tire that was flat looked shredded I would have removed it before driving any distance at all. I keep my rear tires at 60 and each flat was a very noticeable event. I would imagine at 29psi it would feel much worse. Mind you my rig is only 18 feet. With a large rig the effect could be far greater.

My tires are near the end of a long life and at 60 rear and 50 front the wear is perfectly even so don't think the lower pressure is better for your tires.

Linda S

x2.

my tires at 35 psi looks like they are way underinflated.

simple physics, less psi = more friction = more heat

I drive my Hondas with 42 PSI, never had any tire wear unevenly.

little bumpy ride but I get good mpg.

For the toyos, my 90 had a tire failure has the rears were rubbing due to low pressure.

unless you air the tires up to way over max sidewall pressure, you probably will not get any uneven wear.

my chevy 3/4 ton tire are 60/80

unless you air the tires up to way over max sidewall pressure, you probably will not get any uneven wear.

my chevy 3/4 ton tire are 60/80

Not true - but depends on what make tire and what sort of use. Running 80 PSI in any of my 3/4 ton trucks when not heavily loaded certainly wears them out prematurely. That for my 235/85-16" tires.

Just drove the Alcan Highway in May (Seattle to Anchorage) and had 50 psi in all 6 tires. Also inflated airbags for a comfortable ride over those last 80-100 miles of nasty road just before the Alaska border.

Have a good trip up! Fires in southcentral are smoldering but mostly out, highways are all open at this time.