Led Bulb - Pls Share You Experience

shibs

Two of my amber marker lights were Harbor Freight LED lights but they both quit working.

The remaining three were smaller LED lamps off of ebay and they are working still.

For the rear marker lamps, I installed Ebay Uhaul surplus lamps, two halogen bulbs per fixture.

I tried LED's on the interior lights but they were a bluish, resembling old fluorescent bulbs.

I went back to the incandescents. My porch light is still LED, a bulb from China - about a quarter of the LED elements have failed.

Later, I bought all new interior fixtures from an Ebay place in Elkhart Indiana. These came with halogen bulbs.

Camping stores seem to be carrying LED's with a more friendly spectrum.

For the back running lights, some of my wires are in reverse and the LED bulbs will not function with the wrong polarity.

The truck stops like Pilot now carry marker LED lights for $3 that look professional grade. I will consider these for future reference.

I got a pack of these, http://www.amazon.com/Amico-BA15S-68-SMD-Brake-Backup/dp/B007VLFENE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366145356&sr=8-1&keywords=Amico+10+Pcs+Car+1156+BA15S+1206+68-SMD+LED .

They work sooo good I got 10 more and replaced my Toyota turn and back-up lites as well as all the lamps is the RV. :)

Espically like the color of the light, much better than the yellow of the bulbs. I have also switched some of my home CFL's with LED's.

vanman

I ran the ones Vanman showed also, the problem is the ballasts snap during installation from being twisted into place; they are weakened and then sections of their boards fail (within a few weeks of use) worst case they fail all together or flicker annoyingly. The flat 3m sticky backed SMD panels I have yet to have one fail outside of one that got submerged in water and even that one came back eventually.

WOW, good to know. I was gonna order another batch for spares and to put in the the Ford. I haven't had one failure of any of mine as of yet. When did you order yours, am thinking there is a quality control problem with the newer ones ???

The only LED problems for me has been the new running lites on the RV top. They are a ckt board with 2 LED's and a wiring harness which ends in a plug. Plug connects to new base plates which have exactly the same socket as the original lamps. The plug/socket connection is the problem, just like it was with the bulbs. Takes some fiddling to make it secure, no problems now.

vanman

There is no earthly reason to install LED bulbs in an existing marker light they still won't work properly. Good LED marker lights are sealed and weather tight no more fooling with dirty connections you turn them on they work every time. It's pretty much the same with replacement bulbs in the cheap plastic tail lights you still have to deal with poor connections. LED's in rear turn signals will "fast flash" unless change out the flasher unit to a solid state one. Interior lights can be had in cool white or warm white the cool white's are more blue the warm white are more like house lighting. The ones Totem posted are probably the best replacements for existing interior fixtures because it gives you the light where it's needed the tower bulbs have a lot of the LED's pointing up and the light goes no where.

That was what I had thought I was getting-- Good LED marker lights are sealed and weather tight no more fooling with dirty connections you turn them on they work every time.--- But not what I ended up with. Anyway I have gone thru them and they all work now. Sure are much brighter than the originals, and look better too. He did give me a pair of the sockets as spares, but I doubt I'll be needing them. Easier than adjusting my sectional garage door!! :)

vanman

If your going to use L.E.D. lighting for your marker lights and you have any trace amounts of OCD, I recommend swapping out all of them at the same time. If you have a couple L.E.D. marker lights and the rest are incandescent, It will be blatantly obvious. Personally, it would drive me nuts. I plan on using all new L.E.D. marker lights in the very near future. I just like the crisp look they have, low power consumption, and added clarity to other drivers. Do as you wish, I understand they are fairly expensive and swapping out all of your marker lights can run anywhere from $75-$100 (from what I've seen they are roughly $6-$8 per fixture).

I installed these LED's this spring and am very pleased with them. It's a 94 Warrior. You can see the old clearance lite were mounted with 4 screws. I filled the holes with polyurethane calk, I really like the stuff, then drilled new holes, 2 per lite and stainless screws. Calked with spray foam and installed new fixtures. Soldered all wire connections, and used heat shrink tape. Bought the fixtures from Bi-Mart in Oregon about $7 each. Don't remember the name of the fixtures but they were almost a perfect fit.

post-1172-0-06462800-1415120962_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-57352100-1415120983_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-33396300-1415121012_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-84724500-1415121043_thumb.jp

If you or someone else has used silicone calk on anything and you want to remove it. Spray WD-40 on a rag and rub on the silicone. It will help to remove the silicone.

If you or someone else has used silicone calk on anything and you want to remove it. Spray WD-40 on a rag and rub on the silicone. It will help to remove the silicone.

NEVER use silicone caulk on any surface you may want to paint. The silicone will reject the paint.

I installed these LED's this spring and am very pleased with them. It's a 94 Warrior. You can see the old clearance lite were mounted with 4 screws. I filled the holes with polyurethane calk, I really like the stuff, then drilled new holes, 2 per lite and stainless screws. Calked with spray foam and installed new fixtures. Soldered all wire connections, and used heat shrink tape. Bought the fixtures from Bi-Mart in Oregon about $7 each. Don't remember the name of the fixtures but they were almost a perfect fit.

If you can find out the name of those l.e.d.s, please let us know or at very least please Message me! I have yet to find an l.e.d. replacement that looks as oem as yours do. thanks!

I did some research and believe the clearance lights I installed are "PM Peterson 6 diode v180 A or R, amber or red" I paid 6.95 each.

Vanman - It looks like someone drilled the 4 holes in those marker lights. Mine look just like them but only had screws in the large molded holes. If the screws got loose in the 2 molded holes they probably drilled the new holes. I would have done something like that.

• 2 months later...

I did some research and believe the clearance lights I installed are "PM Peterson 6 diode v180 A or R, amber or red" I paid 6.95 each.

Awesome! Thank you!