Our Sunrader

bionicwoman

My husband told me they are called clearance lights, after I posted the question..hehe. I guess we should replace instead of removing. Thank you for the info.

If you replace them I would recommend that you use LED type instead of the normal bulb type as they draw less current, last longer, are much brighter, and require no maintenance. They cost a little more to begin with but more than pay for themselves in loss of aggravation that the bulb type have just on bad contacts, blinking on and off, and bulb replacement over the life of the fixture.

I replaced all of the clearance lights on my Sunrader a while ago with 12 diode LED fixtures from this company(http://www.superbrightleds.com/truck_lights.htm) The M1 models have the same mounting hole space as the stock Bargeman 99 clearance lights. This is what they look like on a Sunrader http://www.moosepucky.com/sunrader/pics/LEDmarker.JPG

Thanks Pat, My dad had said the same thing. Thanks for the website Moose, I am going to check it out. The area the lights are at, you do not want to have to replace the bulbs too much. I appreciate the info!!

Some narrow dry wall scaffolding does wonders for getting to the lights for changing they out :)

http://www.moosepucky.com/diesel/pics/toyh...Scaffolding.jpg

Thats quite the set up for putting in clearance lights. We just replaced several of the front lights that were broken off and a few of the back that weren't functioning. I think they were $5 for the whole light. Walmart in my town didn't carry the size we needed but they do have a pretty large collection.

• 6 years later...

Hi. I recently discovered that ALL of my clearance lights along the top of my Sunrader are no longer working, & all but 2 were working just days ago. This leads me to wonder if there's a fuse that just went bad, but I have no idea where that would be. There's no such fuse in the fuse box below the dash. Anyone know what the problem might be?

often the stock fuse marked tail light in the box under the dash is used for the tail and marker lights. if it is a glass fuse and looks good replace anyway those can look good and not be I have seen them fall apart from old age.

All of my other lights, including my tail lights are working. It's only my clearance lights (along the top of my Sunrader) that are no longer working - none of them. So two people have told me it's probably an issue with a ground wire, not making proper contact. Strange to me this would happen when I haven't even really driven it other than to take it to have new tires installed. I have no idea how to go about resolving this, as all the wires seem to be hidden inside the walls of the rig. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Old clearance lights are the most hateful things ever invented. The bulbs corrode the fixtures get nasty the grounds rot the bulbs burn out the terminals get loose, just when you think you have them all working one on the back you just “fixed” goes out. They are daisy chained on the same fuse so if one burns they all should. If you can afford it put in LED fixtures they are worth every penny.

LED bulbs from Ebay work best most of the time. Only issue with LED is sometime polarity is reversed. I had this happened to me so I had to disassemble the bulb and re-soldered them. Most of the time those clearance lights fail due to water leak into those light caps, which causes corrosion.

Anyone have any links for "How-to" replace the clearance lights? Ideally, I'd like to just know how to find the problem preventing the clearance lights from lighting, when they were all working a couple weeks ago. The LED switch-over is something I'd like to do down the road, when I have more in my budget.

Like how to I get to the wires to look for any that may have lost contact? Seems to me they run behind the upper storage cabinets & walls - do I have to cut them open to get to the wires for inspection?

Edited by Campernoob

I've been putting off tackling my clearance light for awhile now, can't seem to find anyone who will talk about HOW they went from crap to LED's. What throws me off is the two green, two white wires to each of the old lamps, shouldn't be that hard to figure out once I get in there, start at the back passenger side, replace them one by one, and they all work by the time I get to the front passenger side :)