Kohler Not Supplying Power

kellerleo

It seems as tho my Kohler genset is not supplying power to the coach in my 1993 Itasca Spirit. The 25amp circuit protector is on, and the shore power plug is plugged into the receptacle right next to the genset. No power. When plugged in to shore power, the cord works just fine, but as said, not when using the genset as a source of power. Any suggestions for this newbie? Thank you in advance.

On ours there is another ckt breaker on the generator it's self. You have to open the access door and lift out the access panel to get to it. Might be the problem??

John and Mary

Is there a breaker on the gen set? Onan's have one I'm not sure about the Kohler. They also have to turn up the revs to make power does it sound like is reving up or just idling?

hmmm, there is a 25 amp circuit protector on the front of the genny, with an "on off" function. that is "on" where apparently it is suppose to be. As for another one, not that i am aware of. Also, i fire it up, then it idles, and i don't rev it more. Should i, do i do this by just pulling on the throttle cable?

hmmm, there is a 25 amp circuit protector on the front of the genny, with an "on off" function. that is "on" where apparently it is suppose to be. As for another one, not that i am aware of. Also, i fire it up, then it idles, and i don't rev it more. Should i, do i do this by just pulling on the throttle cable?

The generator has to turn 3600 rpm to make proper power. If there is a switch on the generator that's it you might try turning it off and then back on but that will do nothing for a non reving problem. I don't know of a cable but there is governor linkage that controls the engine speed you would need to be careful manually reving the engine up because it can make far more electricity than you need! If you have access to a volt meter you can plug it into the 30 amp output socket then slowly bring the engine speed up and see where your voltage goes. The Kohler generator is fairly crude and the governor system fairly simple try playing with it with out the generator running and see if every thing moves freely.

There is no transfer switch, where you plug in the cord takes care of that function,The cable is the choke cable. There is no manual control of engine speed, the governor takes care of that. If the breaker is on check for output by using a small lamp with a 60 watt lamp to see if there is any AC output at all.

also make sure all the breakers are in the ON position in the 120 panel board . Then plug in the lamp to a 120 receptacle, before adding any large loads like AC or microwave.

Ok, done all that. Checked breakers, put lamp on, and nothing. Even found the governor linkage and idled it up a touch, only by ear, to basically as high as sounded proper, (a little crude and inacurate i know) however, when doing this i had the lamp plugged in and nothing even when revved at a higher rpm. Still baffled. I need a voltmeter to really have a go i guess.

I gather you have the type of transfer switching with an outlet that the camper plug plugs into they are the most common and the simplest. There is not much that can go wrong but at this point you really do need a volt meter. I am not real familiar with the Kohler but it is very possible it has a small fuse for the exciter circuit on the generator it's self.

My Kohler works great on my 92 Winnebago but the governor stopped working, I just turn the lower idle screw on really high until I get the AC blowing strong or when the lights on the microwave stop flickering. I have used it this way for years no problem, It just starts up at high rev so I make sure something is plugged in and drawing power. Hope this works for you.

Problem solved. With the help of a volt meter and someone who knows how to use one, we found that the circuit protector was not working. Put some alligator clips on it to jump it across and there's power. New circuit protector ordered and we're good to go. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Problem solved. With the help of a volt meter and someone who knows how to use one, we found that the circuit protector was not working. Put some alligator clips on it to jump it across and there's power. New circuit protector ordered and we're good to go. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I would love to know where you found parts for this Kohler. I didn't know there were any parts left to be had. I need a starter.

Linda S

I would love to know where you found parts for this Kohler. I didn't know there were any parts left to be had. I need a starter.

Linda S

Starter ought to be easy to find. Tecumseh only used two different starters that I know of with the OH140 and OHV140 engines used on Kohler 2.5 KW RV generators. Tecumseh went out of business but there are new starters available all over the place.

post-6578-0-92456200-1402488647_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-47834700-1402488649_thumb.jp

Linda S

Have you tried a lawn mower shop Linda? A lot of the older stuff was used on riding lawn tractors also and were fairly common as to mounting. If you can find the same mounting chances are pretty high it will work.

Have you tried a lawn mower shop Linda? A lot of the older stuff was used on riding lawn tractors also and were fairly common as to mounting. If you can find the same mounting chances are pretty high it will work.

Like I said - Tecumseh only used two different starters on the medium frame and large frame engines like Kohler used on RV gensets. That is - only two 12 volt DC starters. There are also 120 volt AC starters. Those DC starters are available new from many places.

I'm assuming Linda has the Kohler 2.5 CMZ genset. That uses the now extinct Tecumseh TVM140 engine. That engine can use a 120 VAC starter or a 12 volt DC starter. Same as used on TVM125, HSK50, and HSK70 Tecumseh engines. $60 from DB Electrical.

post-6578-0-61041800-1402495110_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-13308800-1402495112_thumb.jp

Cool I was just coming back to say that mine didn't seem to be the same as the first one you posted but you already found me the right one. All I could find were those 120 volt starters. Like I'm really going to have 120 available before I try to start a generator to make 120. The 12 volt one looks perfect

Linda S

Thank heavens for the Chinese. That is why there are so many new starters around dirt-cheap. I've been buying brand-new starters for big diesel engines for $100 each. Can't rebuild them for that price.

Tecumseh permanent-magnet starters were never rebuildable in any cost-effective way. When I worked for a Tecumseh dealer 30 years ago - new OEM 12 volt starters were often $200 or more. Now less then $100 which is pretty amazing. Some of these new starters are also better quality.

I needed a small starter for my little 25 horse Yamaha outboard a few weeks ago. A new one from Yamaha was $238! I got a Chinese one for $59.