12V Draw From Small Fridge

MontanaChinook

Maybe this should be in electrical...I don't know.

I'm finally using the new fridge I put in a while back, and I don't really know all the ins and outs. I know to use 12V when driving, gas when parked. But at what point would you switch from 12V to gas, when you're just stopped somewhere for a while?

I've been switching to gas when I camp for the night. But what about when I stop for lunch? A 2 hour hike? Do any of you have a general "if I'm stopped for x long, I switch to propane"?

And, if I'm drawing the battery down a little at night, and running the fridge on 12V while I drive, am I really ever charging up my battery completely?

I leave it on gas all the time. Doesn't use much propane.

I have forgotten to turn off my 12 volt when stopping too many times. I no longer use it at all. If I'm not going far I just leave my fridge off. Turn on the gas when I get there. It stays cold enough for a long time. If I'm driving a long way I leave it on gas. Have definitely noticed my battery being too low after the 12 volt was running while driving. If I'm going to need heat that night I won't have enough power.

Linda S

A 12v relay, triggered by switched 12v, in the power line will prevent the oops I forgot problems.

Hi, these are absorption units, this means that there is no compressor to circulate the refrigerant. Heat is used to perform this function.

The amount required should be noted on your nomenclature sheet supplied with the purchase...Check how many amps are needed, then you will be better informed as which to use.....Gas is the BEST source of heat available, the flame is about like a large match burning...I leave mine on gas all the time. The 12 volt drain to make heat is pretty demanding...I have a friend that has 12 volt only & she uses 2 12v deep cycle batteries..with a Perko switch to switch her batteries......Perko is a brand of manual switch that offers all battery positions including off & it is also available with a key to lock it OFF...

You can hide this switch & lock it..........good anti theft device.....I use one hidden on my old series Land Rover..of course your battery must not be under the hood if you are using it for that purpose................................Donnie

The 12v heaters draw a lot of current as much as 14 amps! it's OK going down the road but you will need to switch it to gas as soon as you stop for any thing over a couple of hours. They will run a very long time on propane. To be safe you should turn off the gas when you refuel the MH but if you are like me I would end up with a warm fridge in the morning. Bottom line 12 volt is great driving but not when you are parked.

I leave mine on all the time while driving ...on propane

some states will not let you run propane in tunnels I have only read this never seen it first hand..

some people say to turn off while getting gas...for safety....

I leave mine on all the time while driving ...on propane

some states will not let you run propane in tunnels I have only read this never seen it first hand..

some people say to turn off while getting gas...for safety....

I don't think any state will let you through a tunnel with propane. Maybe little ones but not some thing that goes under a harbor etc.

Ok! Thanks.

So it sounds like some of you leave it on propane while driving?

I'm guilty. Never had it blow out never blew the MH up in a gas station does not mean it's a great ideal but I'm too dingy to remember it's on!

I need to add a bit of info to my post yesterday about refrigerator's..........If your unit has the PROPANE option, it is an absorption unit as others have noted these use heat to provide the expansion & evaporation of the cooling gas. I mentioned that a friend has a 12 volt unit & 2 batteries....

There are units that DO NOT have the propane option.......they run on either 12 volts or 110 volts.......Her unit is a Norcold which only runs on electric & on 12 volts the amp draw is 5.3 amps.....about a third of what an electric 12 volt heater will use.. There is a small compressor involved to move the freon...

That is why a compressor unit will use less battery draw than one with the 3 way option....Hope that makes sense...........donnie